Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 04:42 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,848,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
IMO, everyone should have to have a visa or some other type of legal documents to enter our country.....no waivers. IMO, no one should be able to stay here on a tourist visa more than 60 days. Everyone should leave when their visas expire regardless if they have married a U.S. citizen or not. No one should be allowed to stay here and "adjust" their status on any type of visa. They should return home and apply from there.
The main premise of the K visa category (a "non-immigrant" classification) is that there is an Adjustment of Status within the United States. When it comes down to the Foreign National spouse of a U.S. citizen, ultimately encountering the same steps, just in a more timely fashion, doesn't it matter to be a little bit more practical? My wife felt rejected by the United States for our long processing time, but I guess you haven't encountered a similar scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 04:50 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
The main premise of the K visa category (a "non-immigrant" classification) is that there is an Adjustment of Status within the United States. When it comes down to the Foreign National spouse of a U.S. citizen, ultimately encountering the same steps, just in a more timely fashion, doesn't it matter to be a little bit more practical? My wife felt rejected by the United States for our long processing time, but I guess you haven't encountered a similar scenario.
I repeat, IMO no one should be able to adjust their status in this country while holding some kind of visa or just because they are married to a U.S. citizen. The rules should apply equally to everyone. I sense that your wife's bitterness towards the U.S. of feeling "rejected" has rubbed off on you also and has influenced your stance on illegal immgration.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:56 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,848,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
...I sense that your wife's bitterness towards the U.S. of feeling "rejected" has rubbed off on you also and has influenced your stance on illegal immgration.
My wife is a very amazing person, she never really holds any resentment...

How do you think she could stand me otherwise?...

I see this "bitterness" label applied to me, and now to her, and I just wonder how it is perceived to not be a trait of others as well...

Old 09-27-2011, 05:07 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
My wife is a very amazing person, she never really holds any resentment...

How do you think she could stand me otherwise?...

I see this "bitterness" label applied to me, and now to her, and I just wonder how it is perceived to not be a trait of others as well...
I guess it all depends on whether that bitterness is justified or not and how that influences one's attitude afterwards towards something that they know isn't right such as having an objection to the enforcement of our immigration laws especially towards one national/ethnic group.

I do feel "justifiable" bitterness towards those who are sworn to uphold our laws and protect Americans and their sheep followers who are blinded by misplaced compassion or ethnic ties.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:28 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Even if it is fully legitimate? By convention does that mean you are opposed to someone doing the same thing under the Visa Waiver Program with half that time? Should Foreign National spouses of U.S. citizens be allowed to use a Tourist Visa or the VWP to enter the United States?

But under the Visa Waiver Program that petition and fee are skirted. They have to do nothing more than hopping on a plane (or entering through Canada) and hide their immigrant intent. I have brought it up on the thread, is there a reason it isn't being mentioned back?
I'm not sure I see the huge difference.

Say couple A has a long-term marriage, a marriage so valid that it was possible to live somewhere other than the USA even -- even the US citizen was willing to live in the other's country, the marriage is that valid.

Then take couple B who has a quickie marriage just in time to stop a deportation and the marriage cannot exist outside the USA. The US citizen absolutely would not consider living outside the USA.

Couple B might precisely follow the laws, may have nothing but the best immigration lawyers to advise them on how to win, but the marriage is most definitely based on getting the immigrant to the USA, whereas couple A is in it for better, for worse, richer, or poor, sickness and health, even if they must live together in another country, the marriage is so real it has and can exist outside the USA but they didn't have the best legal advice. Couple A has the more valid marriage obviously, one that is less about immigration for a spouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration