Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 01:25 PM

511 posts, read 2,450,729 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine was strongly against unchecked and massive legal and illegal immigration until he got into the fast food business. Now his opinion has changed 100%.

He runs a number of Wendy's Restaurants and has worked at the Supervisor, Assistant Restaurant Manager, Manager and District Manager roles. He KNOWS what it is like to work at and manage a fast food restaurant in both city, suburban and small town settings.

He tells me all the time how terrible the poorly educated white and black workers are. They come to work drunk, get in fights, quit at a moments notice, are slow to pick up directions, come in late, etc. He tries to hire part time High School and College Students from the better side of town, but they act like they are too good for the job.

What is left is the immigrant work force. He tries to hire legal immigrants but with the fancy very professional fake drivers licenses and social security cards out there, most immigrants legal or not have great looking documents that indicate they are legal. The company senior management will not allow him to use E-Verify and they sign his paychecks. Regardless of their legal status, he finds over and over that in MOST CASES immigrant workers in the fast food industry are far better workers and much more reliable and will stick around a long time. White and Black workers are problems in MOST CASES.

What do you think, is he right MOST OF THE TIME?

Last edited by Workaholic?; 10-14-2011 at 01:40 PM..

Old 10-14-2011, 01:52 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,677,334 times
So your friend supports illegal immigration? Brilliant!

And by the way, he is full of sh*t.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:57 PM

He does not support illegal immigration, he just thinks immigrants are better workers from his 10 years experience working with thousands of workers at Wendy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
So your friend supports illegal immigration? Brilliant!

And by the way, he is full of sh*t.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:58 PM

And I think it is funny that you say white and black workers versus immigrant workers.

Hmmm you realize white and black people also come from other countries right?

Old 10-14-2011, 01:59 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,274,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
He does not support illegal immigration, he just thinks immigrants are better workers from his 10 years experience working with thousands of workers at Wendy's.
I did some time in fast food/food service in high school in the early 1990s. The illegals didn't work out front back then; rather they worked in the kitchen. The illegals were the ones dropping food on the floor and serving it, failing to get dishes clean (lipstick left on glasses and cups, food left on utensils, etc), smoking dope out back, and not showing up half the time.

Sucking at the jobs Americans didn't want to suck at, I guess. The Americans I worked with had a much better work ethic.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:10 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,772,201 times
Quote:
He probably is.

However, lack of good work habits on the job has never really been one of the critiques of unchecked illegal immigration.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:44 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,413,661 times
Quote:
A friend of mine was strongly against unchecked and massive legal and illegal immigration until he got into the fast food business. Now his opinion has changed 100%.

He runs a number of Wendy's Restaurants and has worked at the Supervisor, Assistant Restaurant Manager, Manager and District Manager roles. He KNOWS what it is like to work at and manage a fast food restaurant in both city, suburban and small town settings.

He tells me all the time how terrible the poorly educated white and black workers are. They come to work drunk, get in fights, quit at a moments notice, are slow to pick up directions, come in late, etc. He tries to hire part time High School and College Students from the better side of town, but they act like they are too good for the job.

What is left is the immigrant work force. He tries to hire legal immigrants but with the fancy very professional fake drivers licenses and social security cards out there, most immigrants legal or not have great looking documents that indicate they are legal. The company senior management will not allow him to use E-Verify and they sign his paychecks. Regardless of their legal status, he finds over and over that in MOST CASES immigrant workers in the fast food industry are far better workers and much more reliable and will stick around a long time. White and Black workers are problems in MOST CASES.

I'm sure the slaves were good workers as well. Doesn't make it right.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:58 PM

My friend has more direct experience with low wage low skilled workers than all of us combined and has no particular view about illegal aliens just about workers and immigrants.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:11 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,439,973 times
Quote:
My friend has more direct experience with low wage low skilled workers than all of us combined and has no particular view about illegal aliens just about workers and immigrants.

I do, in the construction trade, illegals SUCK big time, Don't know what the hell they are doing, and are only hired by Companies willing to save a buck, but the quality of work is the ****--- ever you can imagine.

My inlaws own and operate 3 resuturants, very sucessfully, key to sucess is quality food, quality sevice and quality workers. The majority of workers sorry but true are White, as you so put it, and mexican americans born and raised in this Coutnry legally. The work is superb, never had a problem with any of these workers, up and quit on them ever. The employees they have, are superb at their jobs, which is important for any company and very reliable.
They will not give illegal workers the time of day, never will they.

And from what i can see and what i have learned from low wage skilled workers, they are there just for the money and nothing else, believe me.

I understand in the Restaurant trade and Construsction trade, they are hired, just for cheap salary, and guess what, their work is also done very cheaply and poor. Don't get me going, cause i can go on about illegal work ethics. How they handle the food, or let me say don't handle the food properly, and as far as the construction trade, they know not a freaking thing, believe me.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
My father worked with all kinds of folks for over 30 years and has said illegals from south of the border are lazy and not good workers.

My ex husband who used to be one of those who thinks they come here for a better life said the illegal Mexicans he worked with were always sleeping at the job site, took more breaks than everyone else and were eventually fired because of their poor performance. He worked building ponds and doing yard work in Co Springs, CO for a company owned by a legal Mexican national.

My boss's nephew (the same one who I have mentioned in another thread ) is a cook and used to work for a very famous pizza chain here in Mass called Sal's. He was also the manager and all of his employees but 2 were illegals from Brazil. He said he never wanted to hire them in the first place but the big bosses had the final saying. He ended up quitting and getting a job somewhere else as a cook also. I forwarded the info to ICE and I am waiting to see what happens. One can only hope.

Anyway, this country was built by AMERICANS and LEGAL immigrants who have been working hard for decades, centuries. If we are really that lazy, why are we one of the biggest economies in the world?

I don't know about you but laziness doesn't accomplish much in the world I live in.

Last edited by KickAssArmyChick; 10-14-2011 at 03:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.