Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 07:29 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,722,755 times

Advertisements

Workplace enforcement without immigration reform will cripple the economy -- and it will be Joe Public's fault.

The 2004 film "A Day Without a Mexican" was a political satire: an exaggerated fantasy about what would happen in California if all the immigrant workers suddenly disappeared. But now it seems that life may imitate art. Federal immigration authorities are readying a new enforcement tool that could indeed, if applied effectively, all but cripple the California economy.

A new fence? A massive influx of Border Patrol agents? A fleet of airborne drones? No. The new weapon is a simple two-page letter that will go out next month to companies whose employees' names and Social Security numbers do not match those on record at the Social Security Administration.

What makes these letters so potent? The SSA has been sending similar notices for years, but in the past, as long as a company had asked to see a worker's papers and filled out the proper forms, it was off the hook. Now the government is demanding that unauthorized employees be fired and threatening legal action if they aren't. This is expected to trigger widespread layoffs -- self-policing by millions of small and medium-sized businesses in California and other states.

California without a Mexican - Los Angeles Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 07:37 AM

1,787 posts, read 3,859,185 times
It's about time.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:57 AM

4,802 posts, read 8,766,843 times
I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:02 AM

156 posts, read 151,454 times
If any states' economy depends on illegals then they deserve what they get. Illegal means illegal and of course I would laugh my arse off if CA went down the drain, which it wiull not of course.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:29 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,586,550 times
I live in California and these things take place every now and then. The illegals seem to take to it with various degrees of seriousness, but many of them don't miss a beat--they are busy working.
The only thing we have to fear is a somewhat lower standard of housekeeping for the day in question, because LA Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, who "Cleans Our Toilets", is off duty for 24 hours. Usually things are back to normal the next day......

Old 08-25-2007, 04:58 PM

That explains everything Mac about you. Thanks for telling me where you became such an illegal mlover.

No, they do not take place ever now and then at all. The problem we have in this country is because of states, like CA, that continually use and illegals and then expect all of us to pay for them. It is sick. I would like to see your idiotic state cut off dfrom government money and then let you all that love illegal criminals so much take care of them yourselves. Stop stealing our money and using to help make your lives better.

You state will not and can not get better as long as illegal criminal loving people stop wanting slave labor.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:21 PM

562 posts, read 663,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Workplace enforcement without immigration reform will cripple the economy -- and it will be Joe Public's fault.

The 2004 film "A Day Without a Mexican" was a political satire: an exaggerated fantasy about what would happen in California if all the immigrant workers suddenly disappeared. But now it seems that life may imitate art. Federal immigration authorities are readying a new enforcement tool that could indeed, if applied effectively, all but cripple the California economy.

A new fence? A massive influx of Border Patrol agents? A fleet of airborne drones? No. The new weapon is a simple two-page letter that will go out next month to companies whose employees' names and Social Security numbers do not match those on record at the Social Security Administration.

What makes these letters so potent? The SSA has been sending similar notices for years, but in the past, as long as a company had asked to see a worker's papers and filled out the proper forms, it was off the hook. Now the government is demanding that unauthorized employees be fired and threatening legal action if they aren't. This is expected to trigger widespread layoffs -- self-policing by millions of small and medium-sized businesses in California and other states.

California without a Mexican - Los Angeles Times

It's MORE than about time. As well I am sure there will be plenty of AMERICAN CITIZENS ready to step in to fill those jobs at a realistic wage (not the peanuts they pay illegals under the rug!).

I hope they do run em off!

Old 08-25-2007, 06:44 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,481,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Junkie View Post
That explains everything Mac about you. Thanks for telling me where you became such an illegal mlover.

No, they do not take place ever now and then at all. The problem we have in this country is because of states, like CA, that continually use and illegals and then expect all of us to pay for them. It is sick. I would like to see your idiotic state cut off dfrom government money and then let you all that love illegal criminals so much take care of them yourselves. Stop stealing our money and using to help make your lives better.

You state will not and can not get better as long as illegal criminal loving people stop wanting slave labor.

Illegal immigration is not just a California problem... it's everywhere but especially along the border states obviously - but if the issue is not in your state just wait... I doubt your employers are any better than CA, TX, AZ or any other state that has illegal issues especially when illegals can undercut American citizens pay by 20% or more.

Also, how does the federal government "cut off" federal funding? Californians pay federal taxes so... that's like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:04 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,586,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Junkie View Post

Despite the fact that we are "illegal mlovers", we cannot legally, nor do we have the funds, or the authority, to stop illegal immigration--that's the job of the Feds, and their boss, "The Decider", has, in his infinite wisdom, decided against enforcing immigration law. Even if our "idiotic state" were cut off from the USA--(a move of dubious advisability, as we contain about 10% of all "your" population), it wouldn't change much--you'd be rid of us, but we'd also be relieved of the expense of contributing to "you".
Sorry to break this to you, Mr. Junkie, but YOUR Decider (he's certainly no friend of ours) has brought this about. He won't even let the harmless old unarmed Minute Men sit on their lawn chairs along the border, without smearing them as "vigilantes"--Apparently, he sees them as a public embarassment to his "Decidership", having himself done such a breath-takingly abysmal job of protecting the borders of the US, which he was sworn to protect, from unauthorized entry....don't get mad at me, get mad at your "Decider"....

Old 08-25-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
Illegal immigration is not just a California problem... it's everywhere but especially along the border states obviously - but if the issue is not in your state just wait... I doubt your employers are any better than CA, TX, AZ or any other state that has illegal issues especially when illegals can undercut American citizens pay by 20% or more.

Also, how does the federal government "cut off" federal funding? Californians pay federal taxes so... that's like cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Please try to understand sarcasm.

I know all about the border and all of the other states that illegals reside. Again, please try to understand sarcasm and the fact that it explains why Mac loves illegal criminals.

I live in a border state and have seen more illegals than you could possibly even think so please don't think you are telling me anything. In fact, I have patrolled the border and still do because people like Mac would allow open borders. People like me try to protect the country.

BTW, the federal government can cut funding any time they choose, especially when the state is comitting felonies by allowing open borders into their ignorant state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration