Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 08:23 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,242,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertylover7 View Post
I am saying that, if all illegals were removed, the probability of any given baby getting raped would increase. Now that is a very small probability. Baby rape is not up high on the list of crimes committed. But that chance of your baby daughter getting raped could well go up if all the illegals were removed.

Note that I am reaching well past what the statistics can actually tell us and I am making the assumption that baby rape would track violent crime rates. But it is a reasonable assumption lacking detailed data.
For me to accept your assumption you would have to show how illegals are out there preventing crimes and if they were all gone then the crimes they were preventing would be allowed to happen uncontested.
The absence of criminals does not cause crime to go up.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:38 PM

387 posts, read 337,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
For me to accept your assumption you would have to show how illegals are out there preventing crimes and if they were all gone then the crimes they were preventing would be allowed to happen uncontested.
The absence of criminals does not cause crime to go up.
Only once...I have tried this before and most simply don't understand.

Crime is evaluated by rates. There are x murders per hundred thousand. That says for each hundred thousand people in a population x will be murdered in a given year.

You form a rate by dividing the number of incidents by the number of people in the population.

Now of course if you have more people you will have more incidents. So the number of crimes will increase with the addition of people.

If however you have a group of people who you remove and they impact the number of people more than the number of incidents than crime rates will go up even though the number of crimes go down.

If for instance I have a crime rate of 12 per milllion for baby rape and I remove half the population who had a baby rape rate of 6 per million. The number of rapes per million would go down by 3 per million but the rate for the remaining polulation would go to 18 per million. So we lowered the number of crimes by 3 but increased the rate by 50%.

There is a good bit more to how these numbers work and the conditions that need to be satisfied to cause a reduction in rate but that should give you the idea.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:42 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,268,154 times
One month old??? Fry him. Legal adult??? Fry him. That will be worth my tax dollars to keep him from doing something like that again. If Mexico doesn't like it, tell them to build us a wall and call us.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:24 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,852,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
One month old??? Fry him. Legal adult??? Fry him. That will be worth my tax dollars to keep him from doing something like that again. If Mexico doesn't like it, tell them to build us a wall and call us.
New Mexico has previously repealed the Death Penalty here...

I can't wait to hear from members here how backward that makes us, so that we can't get rid of an animal every now and then...

Old 01-21-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertylover7 View Post
Only once...I have tried this before and most simply don't understand.

Crime is evaluated by rates. There are x murders per hundred thousand. That says for each hundred thousand people in a population x will be murdered in a given year.

You form a rate by dividing the number of incidents by the number of people in the population.

Now of course if you have more people you will have more incidents. So the number of crimes will increase with the addition of people.

If however you have a group of people who you remove and they impact the number of people more than the number of incidents than crime rates will go up even though the number of crimes go down.

If for instance I have a crime rate of 12 per milllion for baby rape and I remove half the population who had a baby rape rate of 6 per million. The number of rapes per million would go down by 3 per million but the rate for the remaining polulation would go to 18 per million. So we lowered the number of crimes by 3 but increased the rate by 50%.

There is a good bit more to how these numbers work and the conditions that need to be satisfied to cause a reduction in rate but that should give you the idea.
I understand parts per million etc. I understand that if you start with a pop of 10,000. and you average 100 crimes per 10,000 and you remove 1000 of which 100 were criminals that if crime did not decrease by the same factor them the parts per million would increase. Like many statistical numbers it does not address the reality. If all 1000 were a criminal of some type then your crime drops automatically. You may have the same number of a type of crime and statistics would look as though crime increased based on a statistic. The reality is however for every violent criminal you get rid of you you made society safer no more dangerous.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
New Mexico has previously repealed the Death Penalty here...

I can't wait to hear from members here how backward that makes us, so that we can't get rid of an animal every now and then...
What better way to deal with a child rapist and murderer? Why support them in comfort for the rest of their life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration