Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 08:07 PM

387 posts, read 338,507 times

Advertisements

Here is one where the immigration folk went in a way that I think most of the anti poster would approve.

Serious illness complicates deportation case - Health and medical - sacbee.com

I bring it up because I would think the Sac Bee will follow up and see how he does.

What do you think? Not a nice guy. Loved by his family. But dead in 8 weeks?

If we are willing to send them off to die...why not do it openly. Send them to a good hospice and make it as nice as possible...likely cheaper too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 08:45 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,080,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertylover7 View Post
Here is one where the immigration folk went in a way that I think most of the anti poster would approve.

I bring it up because I would think the Sac Bee will follow up and see how he does.

If we are willing to send them off to die...why not do it openly. Send them to a good hospice and make it as nice as possible...likely cheaper too.
According to your link he has two felony drug convictions and three prior deportations and he has been here since 1979, why didn't he receive amnesty in 1986? or any of the 6 sub-sequent amnesties afterwards? So the question is why should we continue to pay for this mans dialysis at our expense? If we do, shouldn't we bill Mexico and have them re-pay us as he is their citizen and not ours. Also according to your link, they are attempting to send him off to Mexico as long as they can obtain treatment there for him. ICE released Mesa temporarily so he could continue his treatments in the meantime. However, clinics providing hemodialysis in his home state of Michoacán were "overwhelmed," Celorio said. Hemodialysis is particularly difficult to provide, he said, because there's high demand for it in Mexico, and it's costly. Mexican officials this week found a shelter and treatment site for him in Juárez, across the border from El Paso, Texas. Celorio said service providers there will help him sign up for Seguro Popular, Mexico's public health insurance program.But there is a catch. Seguro Popular covers 275 medical treatments and procedures; dialysis is not one of them. So Mesa will have to pay the cost of about $90 per treatment, or $270 a week.

In his denial of Mesa's second appeal for leniency, ICE's Aitken wrote, "While I am sympathetic to the disruption removal virtually always causes, this disruption is a normal consequence of removal and the factors you cite do not rise above the level of others facing the same situation."
On Friday, his appeals exhausted, Mesa followed ICE orders and appeared in front of the federal building on Capitol Mall. The Mexican Consulate had given him about $1,000, enough to cover his treatments and expenses for several weeks.
Carrying two small duffel bags, Mesa climbed into a gray Dodge Durango with two ICE agents, heading for Sacramento International Airport and a US Airways flight to Phoenix and then El Paso.
The consulate expected he would be in Juárez by evening.

He was sent to a good hospice, in Mexico.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:23 PM

387 posts, read 338,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
According to your link he has two felony drug convictions and three prior deportations and he has been here since 1979, why didn't he receive amnesty in 1986? or any of the 6 sub-sequent amnesties afterwards? So the question is why should we continue to pay for this mans dialysis at our expense? If we do, shouldn't we bill Mexico and have them re-pay us as he is their citizen and not ours. Also according to your link, they are attempting to send him off to Mexico as long as they can obtain treatment there for him. ICE released Mesa temporarily so he could continue his treatments in the meantime. However, clinics providing hemodialysis in his home state of Michoacán were "overwhelmed," Celorio said. Hemodialysis is particularly difficult to provide, he said, because there's high demand for it in Mexico, and it's costly. Mexican officials this week found a shelter and treatment site for him in Juárez, across the border from El Paso, Texas. Celorio said service providers there will help him sign up for Seguro Popular, Mexico's public health insurance program.But there is a catch. Seguro Popular covers 275 medical treatments and procedures; dialysis is not one of them. So Mesa will have to pay the cost of about $90 per treatment, or $270 a week.

In his denial of Mesa's second appeal for leniency, ICE's Aitken wrote, "While I am sympathetic to the disruption removal virtually always causes, this disruption is a normal consequence of removal and the factors you cite do not rise above the level of others facing the same situation."
On Friday, his appeals exhausted, Mesa followed ICE orders and appeared in front of the federal building on Capitol Mall. The Mexican Consulate had given him about $1,000, enough to cover his treatments and expenses for several weeks.
Carrying two small duffel bags, Mesa climbed into a gray Dodge Durango with two ICE agents, heading for Sacramento International Airport and a US Airways flight to Phoenix and then El Paso.
The consulate expected he would be in Juárez by evening.

He was sent to a good hospice, in Mexico.
No - He was sent to a shelter with insufficient resources to get the required level of care for more than a month or two. Perhaps his family can manage to scrape up the dough to keep him going. Should be interesting to see the outcome. I would doubt he can work which would also have helped.

Maybe a good outcome. Thinking about it if he was able to work I can guess what job it was he would get...

Old 01-15-2012, 01:44 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,862,042 times
Supposedly his family loves him - but they won't all pitch in and pay for that much much cheaper treatment he can obtain in their own country? It doesn't sound like they really care all that much what happens to him if the US taxpayers aren't the ones having to pay.

If he's back in Mexico it's a great outcome. The sad part is that American taxpayers had to pay for this lowlife methamphetamine trafficker all these years.

And as a drug trafficker, did this guy ever give a damn about the American lives he was destroying? Meth addicts don't have such great lives or health, the greedy lowlife only cared about the money.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
No - He was sent to a shelter with insufficient resources to get the required level of care for more than a month or two. Perhaps his family can manage to scrape up the dough to keep him going. Should be interesting to see the outcome. I would doubt he can work which would also have helped.

Maybe a good outcome. Thinking about it if he was able to work I can guess what job it was he would get...
It should be quite easy to get a maquila job in Juarez. Remember NAFTA? We sent millions of jobs to Mexico, supposedly those jobs would help them remain in Mexico but the exact opposite took place.

But yes, you can easily land a maquila job. The pay in maquilas is decent considering the much lower cost of living over there.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:46 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,080,919 times
Quote:

Insufficient resources to get the required level of care for more than a month or two? Resources as defined by you is money. As a Mexican citizen he is given Seguro Popular, Mexico's public health insurance program, the problem is that Seguro Popular does not cover dialysis treatment. So I ask, why then should the US Citizen be required to foot his bill? Shouldn't the Mexican gov't and citizen pay for their own? Wasn't it Obama that said if the old person is terminal lets simply give them a pill? Isn't that the case here, he is terminal, even with dialysis there is no guarantee he will make it much longer, give him the pill by sending him back to Mexico.

Read more here: Serious illness complicates deportation case - Health and medical - sacbee.com

Old 01-15-2012, 01:49 PM

To be very honest, the drug traffickers are the very worst scum there is. There is no good reason whatsoever for American tax dollars going to keep drug traffickers alive. Just let him help himself to some of that meth he likes to run over the border when the pain gets bad and be done with him.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:24 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,878,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
To be very honest, the drug traffickers are the very worst scum there is. There is no good reason whatsoever for American tax dollars going to keep drug traffickers alive. Just let him help himself to some of that meth he likes to run over the border when the pain gets bad and be done with him.
Yeah. He's scum. He's a meth dealer for god sakes.

We didn't send him off to die for lack of dialysis. The Mexican government is doing that. Why not blame them? Maybe if Carlos Slim, a Mexican national and the world's richest man, paid his taxes this criminal could get dialysis.

I suppose the real "tragedy" is that Americans aren't giving him a kidney transplant.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:23 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,950,449 times
Quote:

Working against Mesa, who has lived in the United States for a total of about 26 years, are his two felony drug convictions and three prior deportations.

Quoted from the link.

Mesa needs to GO; he jacked up many lives with drug dealing and the fool got busted TWICE. If he dies if sent back to Mexico; it would be justice IMHO. Let HIS people care for him.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:10 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,799,167 times
There are just so many things wrong in that article it's hard to figure out where to begin.

Like it was mentioned, why didn't he apply for amnesty in 1986?
He sees his deportation being about the US not wanting to pay for his treatment and feels entitled to it because he paid into the system. I highly doubt he paid $60-$70,000 in taxes a year to cover the annual cost of treatment. Making money from dealing drugs is not a contribution to American society. Did he receive any government asistance because of his children? When he was released from jail was he returned to Mexico upon release?

He makes himself out to be a victim of his criminal convictions. Didn't know what he was transporting? Was at the wrong place and the wrong time with his friend who was a dealer? Would appear that drugs were a given in his life. Meth usage causes liver damage. Could that be the cause of his health problems? Once again he's a victim of injustice.

I can't muster up any compassion in this case (in spite of the fact that according to some posters I'm Anti-American and pro-illegal because I have compassion, rather than the same passion that they have about illegal immigrants).

Once again this falls to government's failure to not only enforce laws, but expanding laws and securing borders regarding illegals. If the government has to put up walls or electrified fences, then do it. It's not as if they have to worry about Americans jumping the wall or fence to get to Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration