Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 11:11 PM

197 posts, read 266,071 times

Advertisements

I see in this forum how people tend to equalize anti-illegal sentiment with anti-hispanic, as if they are the same. I am against illegal immigration of any kind, let it be hispanic, asian, irish, etc. however have nothing against
our spanish heritage which is rich, and older than the country itself since
our first european cities are Spanish, pre-dating english settlements for more than 100 years, our oldest city is St. Augustine, FL founded by Juan Ponce De leon. We can see our early spanish heritage through the south-east and western United States, more recently, in the last century there has been a gradual penetration of spanish culture on the remaining United States. Spanish communities have a significant political power, and you see hispanics, among them, a lot of people that you don't even realize are hispanics, at all levels of our society. Spanish is part of our culture, and we better learn to live with this fact, otherwise will be condemned to a life full of hate and anger, since Spanish culture is strong and will continue being so.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:22 PM

858 posts, read 3,044,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori-vivi View Post
Spanish is part of our culture, and we better learn to live with this fact, otherwise will be condemned to a life full of hate and anger, since Spanish culture is strong and will continue being so.
Yes! but ENGLISH, is what we here in the US, speak. So they need to become apart of are culture, if they want to live here. Why should I learn Spanish?? So I know what their saying behind my back at the Wal-mart?? I could care less. And I also care less about what happen years ago.. I only care about whats going on RIGHT NOW.. And how the impacted of illegals is killing are country..

Old 12-24-2008, 11:34 PM

196 posts, read 628,995 times
I'm against all forms of illegal immigration.

As an immigrant myself, I can't stand to see so many people who insist on "cheating" their way into America. When you have people who come here on a 3-month visitor visa, but decide to stay for the remainder of their life (and have children), it seems like a slap in the face for legal immigrants like myself and entire family.

Re: Spanish culture

I don't quite understand the reason for your long winded rant on Spanish culture. Of course people recognize Spanish culture as an important part of America's fabric (primarily in the Southwest), but the key word is "part". America is a melting pot that is made up of many different cultures, and that blend is what makes America attractive for so many people around the world.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInExiles View Post

I don't quite understand the reason for your long winded rant on Spanish culture. Of course people recognize Spanish culture as an important part of America's fabric (primarily in the Southwest), but the key word is "part". America is a melting pot that is made up of many different cultures, and that blend is what makes America attractive for so many people around the world.
Take a look in this forum.. //www.city-data.com/forum/immig...z-related.html You might understand better..

Old 12-24-2008, 11:38 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,927,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInExiles View Post
I'm against all forms of illegal immigration.

As an immigrant myself, I can't stand to see so many people who insist on "cheating" their way into America. When you have people who come here on a 3-month visitor visa, but decide to stay for the remainder of their life (and have children), it seems like a slap in the face for legal immigrants like myself and entire family.

He went off on a rant about Spanish culture because he wants to see the U.S. be overtaken by that culture and he wants to see the Spanish culture be the dominate culture in this country.

I might add that he is a newbie, so likely having fun. Be careful about what you feed him.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:09 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times
One more tired, repetitious lesson, coming from one such as myself who has a spouse of a different race, and three major races of makind in my immediate family.....PLEASE LISTEN:

While it's probaby true that ALL ANTI-HISPANICS(in the US) are PROBABLY anti-illegal-immigration...(and just now, they have plenty of 'material' out there to work on)....AND these same folks are PROBABLY "anti". a whole lot of OTHER groups as well.....

It does NOT follow, at ALL, that people opposed to illegal immigration are "anti-Hispanic"...Many Hispanics are 'anti-illegals', and I hear them in my home every week....

Once again, in summary:

Anti Hispanic = anti-illegal
Anti Illegal = anti lawbreaking, anti overloading our social services, anti lowering wage scales.

Simple mistake in assumptions, folks. You can't just 'reverse' these two mindsets, as they AREN'T equivalent.

Some people avoid Italian cooking because they hate Italians. Others avoid Italian cooking because, even though they love Italians...and even though they may BE Italian...they can't enjoy the cuisine because they're allergic to tomatoes, cheese, and garlic. One thing does NOT imply the other.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:07 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
He went off on a rant about Spanish culture because he wants to see the U.S. be overtaken by that culture and he wants to see the Spanish culture be the dominate culture in this country.

I might add that he is a newbie, so likely having fun. Be careful about what you feed him.
Be careful there:

Modern Spanish culture as in Spain is closer to Scandinavian culture (respect for human rights, social-capitalism, rule of law, etc.).

The above stated: Mexican culture is an archaic version of Spanish culture with many of its associated drawbacks----------machismo, lack of respect of authority (in both Mx as well as the USA), etc.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:14 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,383 times
Yep, back on topic...........I am anti illegal not anti Hispanic.
My wife is Hispanic 5th generation so that makes her family here in the great southwest since 1860's.

I love Hispanic cooking, in moderation now, Hispanic music and especially their skillful use of the accordion.
NOt to keen on their traditional dress style yet I love the stomp dance style .

I think their women are drop dead gorgeous (thats for you honey) and the language is a smooth flowing language.

I am descended of English and German. I love European beer and wine, am fascinated by European history, hate their movies, and think their women not shaving their legs is kinda gross.

Though I love and play the accordion very well I do not like German music with use of the accordion..........polkas just arent my thing.

I love brats and fish and chips, and I think European women are also drop dead gorgeous.......................The french are a little uppity ..............My family have been here for 11 generations..............the math will take you back to the French/Indian wars of 1757 on the English side.

That being said, the illegals need to stop telling me they have rights to American services and benefits. I concede they have basic human rights and do not wish them ill, but do wish them gone back to their country. Mexico is their country not america.

respect me, my flag, my culture and my fellow citizens and I will reciprocate..............get in my face and pick a fight and well,,,,,,,,,,,you get the picture.................

Old 12-25-2008, 08:42 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Anti-illegal = just that, anti-illegal alien any nationality, race, sex, religion. The reason hispanics are in thelime light is simple. Hispanics constitute the huge majority of offenders. The fact that Mexico is our neighbor does not negate this fact or buy absolution. No more than if your next door neighbor is any less a criminal for breaking into your home simply because they are also your neighbor. Add to the problem that many within the hispanic community act as enablers and facilitators sheltering and shielding these criminals. Its true that all ethnic communities have those that do the same thing but think of the scale...

Old 12-25-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Some people avoid Italian cooking because they hate Italians....
That explains it!! Thats why me and the wife never been to Don Pablo's

BTW... Love Italian food!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration