Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 02:52 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,540,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
How is a man who seeks to skip our immgration lines and join an already oversubscribed profession a positive member of our society? Laws are supposed to be of good moral character. By breaking our immigration laws for over seven years he isn't.

He wants to be a lawyer when he isn't even allowed to legally practice law here. I am so sick of illegals like him who think that our immigration laws should exist solely to make their lives easier. Why isn't he back in Mexico demanding changes there? Or mad at the Mexican officials who created a society so bad his parents left? Why are illegals always demanding things from us instead of their own leaders?

The last thing our country needs are more lawyers or more arrogant law breakers.
He has been honest about his legal status the entire time.

Technically he can practice law pro bono while illegal.

He didn't learn Mexican law, he learned US law. It is unfair to deny him the credentials he's earned.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:19 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,878,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post

He didn't learn Mexican law, he learned US law. It is unfair to deny him the credentials he's earned.
Admitting you are openly breaking the law just makes you an open law breaker. It doesn't make you honest. It certainly shouldn't make you a candidate for the bar. The last thing we need here are lawyers who see no need to obey the law.

What he learned from his parents that our laws are to be arrogantly ignored whenever he doesn't like them. That's not the sort of person who deserves American citizenship. He's been an adult for seven years. During every day of those seven years he's been in violation of our immigration laws. Ignoring our immigration laws for many years should not give him him the right to be rewarded for doing so. We have enough lawyers. We don't need anymore.

It is unfair to let him to skip the immigration lines ahead of others who have not done so.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:27 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,080,297 times
Quote:
Being immoral, having bad ethics or a lousy family and graduating from a mediocre school are not breaking laws.
Remaining in the country when you learn that you are an illegal immigrant is breaking a law. He is a law student - any lawyer who would advise their client to take the actions he has most certainly shouldn't be admitted to the bar.

Quote:
How is a man who seeks to skip our immgration lines and join an already oversubscribed profession a positive member of our society? Laws are supposed to be of good moral character. By breaking our immigration laws for over seven years he isn't.

He wants to be a lawyer when he isn't even allowed to legally practice law here. I am so sick of illegals like him who think that our immigration laws should exist solely to make their lives easier. Why isn't he back in Mexico demanding changes there? Or mad at the Mexican officials who created a society so bad his parents left? Why are illegals always demanding things from us instead of their own leaders?

The last thing our country needs are more lawyers or more arrogant law breakers.
I read the story and did not see anything that mentioned his country of origin.

I am curious as to how you know that his parents were immigrants from Mexico.

Quote:

The last thing our country needs are more lawyers...
Why do you say this?

Last edited by Yac; 04-20-2012 at 02:58 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged

Old 04-19-2012, 06:40 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,558,643 times
Quote:

Oh goody! I'm a Canadian professional and am looking forward to simply crossing the border and setting up shop.

Oh wait; you won't let me in without a full court press with invasive body search and proof of identity with passport and declaration of closer connection to Canada in form of recent income tax return showing I paid taxes on income earned in Canada and own property along with copies of recent utility bills for those properties. This is to support the notion I'm intending to return home.

Oh yeah, I also must show that I have enough means to support myself while visiting your country or they'll turn me back at the border for fear that I'm coming there to avail myself of your freebies; yeah right!

I must have a destination and cannot simply say I'm coming across to travel around aimlessly; they (border control agents) don't like those types of answers and will refuse entry to Canadians who cannot show an itinery.

If I return again to your beautiful country the following year they may even demand proof of all my income earned as being from Canadian sources lest I be obliged to file an IRS report and pay taxes to you on income I earned IN CANADA.

How fugging retarded is that? I come down there to spend my retirement income in the sun but must jump through hoops to comply with rules that apply only to us northerners while you let the southern neighbours cross over uninhibited to work and avail themselves of freebies under the radar while you overlook them with a "but they're not hurting anybody".

I view visitng your country as a priviledge; not a right and will willingly comply with whatever regulations to enjoy our winters down there playing golf and spending money. Pity you have such a set of double standards though.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:41 PM

5,298 posts, read 7,661,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post

Lucky guess based on prior evidence.

I wouldn't use him for a lawyer but illegal immigrants will. It will be setting a precedence if they let him take the bar exam, he passes and they let him practice. Heck, the laws will go right down the tube then bec ause we will have effectively said they don't matter.

I fear civil unrest is coming and it will be ugly. The laws of this country are being flaunted everyday and it is getting bolder and more egregious.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:47 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,080,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Lucky guess based on prior evidence.
What evidence?

Old 04-19-2012, 07:18 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,878,537 times
Quote:

Previous article I read on the subject.

Why?

Jose Godinez-Samperio, Undocumented Immigrant, Passes Bar Exam In Florida But May Not Be Able To Practice

Quote:
Why do you say this?
Again previous reading.

Why?

Study Finds a Lawyer Surplus in Nearly Every State; DC Has a Deficit - News - ABA Journal

There was a huge series in the New York Times a few months about how basically law schools are cash cows for colleges and universities. So they create law schools not to help this country but to raise cash. As a result we have a huge number of excess lawyers we don't need.

Two of my friends are lawyers. One from a top tier law school was recently laid off.

We don't need this guy. He knew he was in violation of the law, he took a chance, did what he wanted despite knowing this and now expects us to change the law for him. Why should we? Why is he any different than any other foreign student? Should we let ALL foreign students attend school here and then grant them American citizenship?

I'll be honest. If the guy had pursued a profession of use to Americans such as pediatric dentist who agrees to take medicaid or a research scientist I would argue he can stay. But he didn't. He's just another illegal with credentials we don't need.

Let's have fairness for other foreign students and legal immigrants, turn him down and demand he do the right thing and go home. Americans have generously allowed millions of citizens of the world's 12th largest nation to move here. We certainly don't owe ALL Mexicans that same right.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:22 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,540,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh goody! I'm a Canadian professional and am looking forward to simply crossing the border and setting up shop.

Oh wait; you won't let me in without a full court press with invasive body search and proof of identity with passport and declaration of closer connection to Canada in form of recent income tax return showing I paid taxes on income earned in Canada and own property along with copies of recent utility bills for those properties. This is to support the notion I'm intending to return home.

Oh yeah, I also must show that I have enough means to support myself while visiting your country or they'll turn me back at the border for fear that I'm coming there to avail myself of your freebies; yeah right!

I must have a destination and cannot simply say I'm coming across to travel around aimlessly; they (border control agents) don't like those types of answers and will refuse entry to Canadians who cannot show an itinery.

If I return again to your beautiful country the following year they may even demand proof of all my income earned as being from Canadian sources lest I be obliged to file an IRS report and pay taxes to you on income I earned IN CANADA.

How fugging retarded is that? I come down there to spend my retirement income in the sun but must jump through hoops to comply with rules that apply only to us northerners while you let the southern neighbours cross over uninhibited to work and avail themselves of freebies under the radar while you overlook them with a "but they're not hurting anybody".

I view visitng your country as a priviledge; not a right and will willingly comply with whatever regulations to enjoy our winters down there playing golf and spending money. Pity you have such a set of double standards though.
If your parents brought you in as a minor, and you overcame the odds to graduate valedictorian in high school then move on to law school I would be on your side. 2 different situations totally.

Here is the real double standard... Being Canadian none of the anti-illegals here would even care about you. I mean you assimilate into anglo culture within days! It's the Hispanics they don't like...pretty obvious in this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...as-failed.html

Old 04-19-2012, 09:54 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,080,997 times
Quote:
What law did he break? He was brought here by his parents as a minor.
The law he is breaking is once he turned 18 and 6 months he became responsible for his own situation.

Quote:
A minor's overstay does not result in a period of ineligibility to reenter the U.S Are you sure he broke any law?
If the child turns 18 and 6 months here, YES, the child becomes ineligible for re-entry for a period of years, it's called "unlawful presence".

Quote:
If you think he broke laws, then you should know the answers. Until then he did nothing wrong, his parents did.
See above. He is now well above 18 and 6 months.

Quote:
Break laws through someone?
Again, see above.

Quote:
Being immoral, having bad ethics or a lousy family and graduating from a mediocre school are not breaking laws.

This is a positive member of society.
He isn't a positive member yet, he hasn't contributed anything. Simply graduating college doesn't make one a positive member of society.

Quote:

Actually he can't practice law pro-bono, he must have authorization from the bar to practice law, even if he is granted by the bar, Federal Law still prohibits him from practicing.. Even the article, had you actually read it states: Olmeda noted that even if Godinez-Samperio received his bar card, federal laws would prevent him from practicing law in Florida.
Moderator cut: orphaned

Quote:
Get it right, his parents broke the law, he was a minor.
But he's breaking the law now on his own; see above.

Research the actual laws vs espousing your beliefs.

Last edited by Yac; 04-20-2012 at 03:01 AM..

Old 04-19-2012, 10:22 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,860,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
...If the child turns 18 and 6 months here, YES, the child becomes ineligible for re-entry for a period of years, it's called "unlawful presence"...
Generally it is expressed as 18 years and 180 days. Having between 180 days and a year of unlawful presence is generally a three-year bar from re-entry. Over a year of unlawful presence is a ten-year bar from re-entry.

Portions of those bars may be wavered under an I-601...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration