Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2007, 02:49 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,656,073 times

Advertisements

U.S. companies may soon face a serious "reverse brain drain" of highly skilled foreign nationals departing for their home countries, according to a new study of immigration statistics.

U.S. policy is creating a precarious situation by making green card applicants wait too long for permission to work in the U.S., says Vivek Wadhwa, lead author of a study by researchers from Harvard University, Duke University and New York University.

U.S. Facing Tech Labor 'Brain Drain' Due To Immigration Law, Study Says: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 03:06 AM

652 posts, read 2,806,132 times
I'm so sick of these Wall Street Journal neoconservative hacks and their open borders table thumping. All these corporations who hire tech workers want to hire the cheapest labor they possibly can, and that means throwing the resumes of qualified Americans in the trash in lieu of H1-B employees who will work at half the market salary and are easily managed due to their conformist mindset.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:32 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,459,692 times
LIES, LIES, LIES!!! DAMNED LIES!!! I've worked with these so-called "highly" qualified H1-B visa holders. These people are no more qualified than Americans with similar educational backgrounds. Besides, these H1-B visa holders should be in their home countries helping their economies instead of running to ours.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:01 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,032,639 times
Every six months they say the same thing. Plenty of Americans to fill the positions.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:44 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,095,410 times
Ahem! Dollars to donuts those H1-B holders were educated in the USA. So if they know so much, then I'm sure there are at least ONE or TWO U.S. citizens who know just as much.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:26 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,519,894 times
I think there is reason for these, they are not accidental.

Listen, this is reality. I work for a HUGE software company in Silicon Valley and I am surrounded by Indians and Chinese. I went to school for Computer Science and I was 1 of 4 Americans in my class of 30, much of them Indian, Chinese, Norwegians and Germans.

Now I have nothing against these people, they are very smart and honestly they work hard. I have interviewed fellow Americans that just aren't skilled enough or aren't willing to work 60-70 hours and travel away from family.

So my theory is that we are training overseas immigrants to take US jobs that we simply aren't interested in or don't want to work hard enough to do.

This is my experience. It is not all about the profit, but fact is some of these folks are illegal and do not pay taxes...especially Start Ups.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:42 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,469,562 times
My neighbor worked for HP for years.
1 yr before retirement they fired him. Cut his pensions and everything else he was suppose to get. He got a nice package but not nearly what he put years of dedication for.
This man is in his 50's and has 2 kids in college expensive ones their kids are brilliant.
To add insult to injury He was forced to train his replacement who was from India and did not get anything that he was teaching. It is wrong.
It's true anyone who has had to call HP for a computer problem knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration