Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 02:19 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,589,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
"In order to process the millions of applications from illegal immigrants, the Obama administration will have to divert funding and other resources from processing legal immigration applications," Smith said in a statement responding to the new DHS guidelines. "This will lead to a backlog for legal immigrants who followed the rules, while allowing lawbreakers to skip to the front of the line."
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/24...legally-in-us-

What happened to illegals must pay a "stiff penalty" and "go to the back of the line?"

Quote:
Q: Under an Obama administration, what rights do immigrants have if they’re working without proper authorization come January 2009?

A: I think that if they are illegal, then they should not be able to work in this country. That is part of the principle of comprehensive reform, which we’re going to crack down on employers who are hiring them and taking advantage of them. But I also want to give them a pathway, so that they can earn citizenship, earn a legal status, start learning English, pay a significant fine, and go to the back of the line.
Source: 2007 Democratic radio debate on NPR , Dec 4, 2007

Quote:
What we have to do is create a comprehensive solution to the problem. As president I will make sure that we finally have the kind of border security that we need. Employers have to be held accountable. When we do those things, we can take the illegal aliens who are here, get them out of the shadows, make sure that they are subject to a stiff penalty, make sure that they’re learning English and go to the back of the line so they’re not getting an advantage over people who came here legally.
Barack Obama on Immigration
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 04:34 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,855,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Democrats launch national effort to help Dream Act kids stay legally in US - The Hill - covering Congress, Politics, Political Campaigns and Capitol Hill | TheHill.com

Quote:
"In order to process the millions of applications from illegal immigrants, the Obama administration will have to divert funding and other resources from processing legal immigration applications," Smith said in a statement responding to the new DHS guidelines. "This will lead to a backlog for legal immigrants who followed the rules, while allowing lawbreakers to skip to the front of the line."
What happened to illegals must pay a "stiff penalty" and "go to the back of the line?"
But I thought that legal immigrants need to go through whatever hoops we set up for them, no matter if it becomes harder, and count their blessings that they would even be allowed to come here...

Why is it a complaint that it will make their waiting time longer now?...

Old 08-05-2012, 04:43 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,589,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
But I thought that legal immigrants need to go through whatever hoops we set up for them, no matter if it becomes harder, and count their blessings that they would even be allowed to come here...

I have NEVER stated anything even remotely resembling this nonsense, and you know it. In fact, I have stated on numerous occasions, if I were a legal immigrant, I would be livid. My ex was one of the law-abiding immigrants who jumped through all of the required hoops. Understandably, his disdain for illegals is 10 times mine. I respect those who play by the rules. If you can prove otherwise, please do.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:54 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,590,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post

Because people that broke the law are prioritized instead. Why would any legal immigrant be happy if he has to wait after the government is done taking care of criminals? I can't believe you are not able to even imagine an answer for the question you posted.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:07 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,759,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Democrats launch national effort to help Dream Act kids stay legally in US - The Hill - covering Congress, Politics, Political Campaigns and Capitol Hill | TheHill.com

Source: 2007 Democratic radio debate on NPR , Dec 4, 2007

Barack Obama on Immigration
Lamar smith is a bigot and a liar. I wouldn't believe a word that comes out of his mouth.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:08 PM

153 posts, read 131,675 times
The answer of course is that no line should have been made at all. The problems lays in consecutive administrations continuing to fail at reforming the immigration system. The longer that reform is held back, the more costly it will be to deal with the problem.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:50 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,855,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
Because people that broke the law are prioritized instead. Why would any legal immigrant be happy if he has to wait after the government is done taking care of criminals? I can't believe you are not able to even imagine an answer for the question you posted.
How will they be prioritized? At this point it is just loose talk about people already familiar with the waiting game. Two-thirds of those becoming Legal Permanent Residents are already in the United States in immigrant statuses anyway.

Within this forum there is constant talk of immigration moratoriums, tightening requirements for legal immigrants, blocking certain nationalities from immigrating legally...

Why should those same members complain when legal immigration will just take a longer time?...

Old 08-05-2012, 11:58 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,543,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Knight View Post
The answer of course is that no line should have been made at all. The problems lays in consecutive administrations continuing to fail at reforming the immigration system. The longer that reform is held back, the more costly it will be to deal with the problem.
Yes, the administrations have failed with immigration. However, it is NOT the reform that YOU want that needs fixing. We need to close our borders and remove EVERY illegal in our country (and that means YOU, too!). I don't care if you arrived here at one day old, or one year old or 25 years old. If you are here illegally then you should NOT BE HERE.

Why do you assume that the US needs Mexico's poor people? We are two separate countries with our own needs. We don't need to open the border or do away with lines. You want to come to the United States? Do it legally. There are reasons for our immigration laws and we are now seeing the results of ignoring these laws for decades.

Putting illegals before those wanting to come here legally is wrong on so many levels.

Of course, we cannot expect illegal alien sympathizers to understand such a simple concept.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:10 AM

153 posts, read 131,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
Yes, the administrations have failed with immigration. However, it is NOT the reform that YOU want that needs fixing. We need to close our borders and remove EVERY illegal in our country (and that means YOU, too!). I don't care if you arrived here at one day old, or one year old or 25 years old. If you are here illegally then you should NOT BE HERE.

Why do you assume that the US needs Mexico's poor people? We are two separate countries with our own needs. We don't need to open the border or do away with lines. You want to come to the United States? Do it legally. There are reasons for our immigration laws and we are now seeing the results of ignoring these laws for decades.

Putting illegals before those wanting to come here legally is wrong on so many levels.

Of course, we cannot expect illegal alien sympathizers to understand such a simple concept.
You don't think I don't sympathize with legal migrants? I certainly do. There is a conflict of interests here between illegal aliens and legal immigrants. I don't think it's fair for legal migrants to wait in line longer. Nor do I think illegals and their employers be prohibited from peaceful trade. As I noted in my opening post though, it's neither side's fault. The culprit for the conflict of interests is the state. Reform the current immigration system and we will see this conflict of interests disappear.

Why do I assume the US need Mexico's poor people? US? Mexico? I don't give a damn about either government if you mean them.

What I do assume though is that it is fallacious to believe that a central planner knows the optimal level of labour in any region. I oppose immigration laws not soley on humanitarian grounds, but as a believer of the free market. I object to the belief that D.C. has the right to implement tariffs to give domestic producers artificially high returns. As someone versed in economics I know all too well that consumers at large suffer from a decrease in real wages from this tariff. The effects of tariffs and price floors are universal regardless of the good or service in question.

No man in DC knows the optimal rate of immigration. It is up to the individual consumer of labour to discover this individually and to transmit this information through the market process. It is obvious by the employment of illegals that there is a demand for their labour. How large the demand is though is an unknown, and so why I stress the necessity for the free movement of labour in order to allow the market efficient level to be reached.

Now go read some basic Hayek before you propose disrupting the lives of millions for the sake of upholding an ineffective and unjust series of legislation.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:43 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,794,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
Yes, the administrations have failed with immigration. However, it is NOT the reform that YOU want that needs fixing.
Past administrations failed to enforce the laws. Enter the Obama administration who gave more freedom for illegals to ignore our laws. Next step of this administration: giving illegals the same rights as citizens at the demand of illegals and sympathizers. Further to that the administration continued to bend over to the demands of illegals by creating "laws" for what has become a "protected society" who are perceived by this administration as "victims" and "Americans", not law breakers. Then to top it off this administration creates verbal "laws" and gives orders to ICE agents and border patrol to back off or are penalized to the extent of possibly losing their job, as if the ICE agents and border patrol were the criminals. Law enforcement and citizens that are anti-illegal are now the criminals.

So as a result, illegals think they have the right to demand the re-write, enforcement, creation of "laws" to suit their cause and that's because we, the US, owes them and must make restitution for the hardships they experienced as illegals. All crimes are to be forgiven because the "devil" (the US) made them do it. And because they were suppressed and denied they weren't able to pursue the opportunities that citizens have, so government will provide the tools and rights to achieve those opportunities to "succeed" because apparently there is a well of scholars waiting to bust out and rise to the top and will make a huge economic contribution and..........and.........be a major source that will help put the economy on track.

Obama seems to think this is his kingdom and can run it the way he wants to, and sad to say, he has been allowed to. And when he has to step down from his throne he and his children will be far removed from the mess he has/is creating for everyone else. As much as Obama wants to "spread the wealth" (the money of citizens) and believes in "equality", he is a millionaire, and will become considerably more rich after he is out of office doing his speaking engagements, and I don't think he plans on spreading his wealth around any time in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration