Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 12:08 PM

10 posts, read 9,218 times

Advertisements

Yes, Packard fan, I have definitely seen and felt a shift from "SF libs" as you say, on the issue of illegal immigration. Most of my very liberal friends and colleagues, who formerly espoused rights of illegal immigrants, seem to have evolved on this very issue over recent years. In fact, illegal immigration is the only issue that they DON'T find common ground with liberals Democrats. For example, I had an Obama liberal friend say this to me during our conversation about Obama's reelection, " You know I'm the most tolerant and accepting person but I just can't support illegal immigrants coming to the state and start collecting benefits." I think it's absolutely wrong to assume liberals to be pro-illegal immigration. The political party which shoulders leadership on this issue would be looked upon favorably by large and diverse groups of voters. Now is the wrong time to placate extreme, pro-illegal immigrant rights organizations with false claims to moral superiority and nothing else.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:26 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,949,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genia16 View Post
Yes, Packard fan, I have definitely seen and felt a shift from "SF libs" as you say, on the issue of illegal immigration. Most of my very liberal friends and colleagues, who formerly espoused rights of illegal immigrants, seem to have evolved on this very issue over recent years. In fact, illegal immigration is the only issue that they DON'T find common ground with liberals Democrats. For example, I had an Obama liberal friend say this to me during our conversation about Obama's reelection, " You know I'm the most tolerant and accepting person but I just can't support illegal immigrants coming to the state and start collecting benefits." I think it's absolutely wrong to assume liberals to be pro-illegal immigration. The political party which shoulders leadership on this issue would be looked upon favorably by large and diverse groups of voters. Now is the wrong time to placate extreme, pro-illegal immigrant rights organizations with false claims to moral superiority and nothing else.
Genia: many people who DID support rights for illegal aliens back in the day don't in 2012 so you've got lots of "liberal" company. I def NOT a hardcore "conservative" but illegal aliens, nasty.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:34 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,609,431 times
I have seen est. of 150 to 200 million dollars a yr spent on illegals.....INSANE!!!

Also school systems need to stop indoctrinating our children that "borders are the problem".....borders are what separates us from 3rd world sh*t hole Mexico.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:55 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,181,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
I have seen est. of 150 to 200 million dollars a yr spent on illegals.....INSANE!!!

Also school systems need to stop indoctrinating our children that "borders are the problem".....borders are what separates us from 3rd world sh*t hole Mexico.

I think you mean billion, not million. I've seen estimates as high as 400 billion.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:57 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,181,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
1986 - "There will be NO more amnesty. We WILL secure our borders!"

They lied. And now we're supposed to trust them? Last time it was 3 million. This time, 11-12 million plus

None of the respect this country or our culture.

By all means, let's do the exact same thing, and see if we get a different result.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:45 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,949,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post

Agreed. That country SOUTH of our border IS the problem, not the US. I sure as hell DON'T go to Mexico and demand my "rights". Sheesh!

Old 11-12-2012, 07:20 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,859,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
I think you mean billion, not million. I've seen estimates as high as 400 billion.
Yeah, I've seen estimates as high as $1.6 trillion...

But that doesn't make them true...

Old 11-12-2012, 08:12 PM

63,267 posts, read 29,364,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post

No it doesn't but the fact remains that it isn't just a drop in the bucket either.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:19 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,878,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post

So what is the truth? How much do Americans spend on foreign nationals who have freely broken our laws? How much should we be required to spend on criminals? On the Mexican underclass that already has access to medical care in Mexico? How much will we be required to spend with the idiotic "hand citizenship to all Latinos" crazy blackmail racist hispanic lobbyists are demanding in the teeth of a recession?

Tell us. Since most LEGAL immigrants are technically required to be self supporting and not allowed to collect welfare? By what possible justification does any adult foreign national who has entered this country without authorization demand access to American tax dollars?

Do tell.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:06 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,859,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
So what is the truth? How much do Americans spend on foreign nationals who have freely broken our laws? How much should we be required to spend on criminals? On the Mexican underclass that already has access to medical care in Mexico? How much will we be required to spend with the idiotic "hand citizenship to all Latinos" crazy blackmail racist hispanic lobbyists are demanding in the teeth of a recession?

Tell us. Since most LEGAL immigrants are technically required to be self supporting and not allowed to collect welfare? By what possible justification does any adult foreign national who has entered this country without authorization demand access to American tax dollars?

Do tell.

Who knows? CIS includes also includes data on legal immigrants (and their children, and in places, their grandchildren if they are "Hispanic") in those statistics, and considers naturalized citizens as "immigrants" for their entire lives. The focus on Hispanics in particular starts on page 50 of their current "report": http://www.cis.org/articles/2012/imm...tates-2012.pdf

Isn't it amazing that CIS (if they are still around and looking at the very same criteria) would study the economic and education impact of the yet-unborn child(ren) of my one year-old Granddaughter because of her Hispanic immigrant mother? Does that gives you a warm fuzzy feeling that an organization could be so anally involved only with a certain ethnicity of immigrant? I feel special that my descendents could be called "Third-Generation Immigrants" a hundred years from now in the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration