Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 04:09 PM

872 posts, read 3,585,830 times

Advertisements

When a foreign national joins France's French Foreign Legion, at the end of their 5-year enlistment, those soldiers earn full French citizenship. Should America create some type of American Foreign Legion for immigrants who want to become citizens?

It's a win-win for everyone. They could be taught English, American way of life, etc., while in this Foreign Legion. The immigrants would gain American citizenship. And America fills in the boots Americans are everyday more unwilling to. The left, of course, will hate this idea. It’s their intent to give away citizenship for free. It’s just a thought…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 04:21 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,227,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain_time_Blues View Post
When a foreign national joins France's French Foreign Legion, at the end of their 5-year enlistment, those soldiers earn full French citizenship. Should America create some type of American Foreign Legion for immigrants who want to become citizens?

It's a win-win for everyone. They could be taught English, American way of life, etc., while in this Foreign Legion. The immigrants would gain American citizenship. And America fills in the boots Americans are everyday more unwilling to. The left, of course, will hate this idea. It’s their intent to give away citizenship for free. It’s just a thought…
I have this vision of the US pulling out all of the troops from Iraq and terminating the Blackwater contract, and replacing all of these folks with illegal immigrant volunteers. Somehow, I get the sense that this wouldn't go as cleanly as one would theoretically hope.

But I'll give credit for creativity. If nothing else, perhaps you have a great movie idea here.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:28 PM

384 posts, read 1,132,673 times
I like the idea. People who serve our countries are more deserving of citizenship than those who don't in my opinion. And serving your country doesn't neccesarily mean joining the military either.

Illegals who want to go through such a method of obtaining citizenship have my full support. The military changes peoples lives around, and I'm sure it would do nothing but benefit these illegal citizens.

That is one proposal I would be willing to look at.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:37 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times
What if any of the "American legionaires" are seriously wounded in combat for America, would they get any benefits?

Old 10-14-2007, 04:45 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,227,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
What if any of the "American legionaires" are seriously wounded in combat for America, would they get any benefits?
The alternative would be to???

Old 10-14-2007, 04:45 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,145,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Any member of our Armed Forces is entitled to proper care which would include 'legionnaires' as well.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:54 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,554,764 times
Immigrants, i.e. legal non-citizens, already could join any of the Armed Forces. After a while they can opt to become naturalized citizens if they want.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:09 PM

872 posts, read 3,585,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
Immigrants, i.e. legal non-citizens, already could join any of the Armed Forces. After a while they can opt to become naturalized citizens if they want.
This would be aimed at the illegal ones without green cards.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:58 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,679,499 times
The very last thing we need to do is to start handing out M-16s and citizenships to illegal aliens. The military has always been an avenue for improvised Americans to learn a trade and lift themselves up out of poverty. If we are having difficulties filling enlistment quotas then make it easier for Americans to get in. For example ease restrictions on the high school graduation requirement. If necessary, let in a few more enlistees who have minor criminal records. But under no circumstances open up the US military to foreigners who have absolutely no regard to our border, language or culture.

Why would we actually want to even consider handing out assault rifles to criminals? And make no mistake, every single illegal alien here is a criminal. If you really want to start handing out M-16s to criminals, go down to your local jail and look at the guys getting released. Nationwide about 30% to 35% of our jails and prisons are filled with illegal aliens. And while you're sitting there watching the illegal aliens get released, try and pick and choose which ones you would want to hand a deadly assault rifle to.

As I stated above, our local jails and prisons are already infested with illegal aliens, if we start enlisting illegal aliens into our armed forces then all that will accomplish is fill up our military prisons with illegal aliens as well. This would be just another form of an amnesty. And all an amnesty will do is encourage even more illegal aliens to sneak over. Besides, todays service men and women need security clearances. How do you give a security clearance to a criminal who's background you can't even verify?

Old 10-14-2007, 08:02 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,124,231 times
An American Foreign Legion [while probably not gonna happen] is not a bad idea as a path to citizenship....... The FFL does not permit Legionaires to serve France....only in outlying territories and foreign countries.

[images of Beaux Geste flying thru my head.]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration