Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 11:05 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,476,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paprika View Post
you may be right. it probably is a bad analogy. something i thought of in 20 seconds and typed it.

but that still doesn't change the fact that the forum user ( i forget and i'm not interested in his name) that says "hey the mexicans kill immigrants why can't we?"

the user that says that is completely out of his mind.
I think whoever said that the Mex. Gov. shoots illegal immigrants entering their country from the south was exaggerating. I really don't think Mex. guards sit at their southern border and shoot anyone who tries to cross. I do believe they police their border heavily and promptly deport anyone they catch in their country illegally.
The problem most Americans have with this is that it is rank hypocrisy. Mexico deals harshly with anyone who enters their country from the south while at the same time activley encouraging their citizens to illegaly enter the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 11:14 AM

6 posts, read 11,380 times
i agree it is complete hipocrasy.

mexicans are astounded at the idea of a wall beign built at the border. mexicans are very proud people with one of the strongest economies in latin america. they have rich culture of art and the best universities in latin america. they aren't even required a visa to enter europe. they have never had such poor relations with another country. and that wall if built is a great embarassment to the mexican people.

something has to be done.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:26 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,553,332 times
The absolutely breathtaking level of hypocrisy is certainly a factor here. There's something deep in the American culture that gives us a special intolerance of hypocrisy to begin with. We put up with it in our elected officials, and now we get it from the official Mexican government----a message of "do as I say, not as I do".

You probably couldn't find a worse audience in the world for hypocritical ideas than the American public. We certainly do get a lot of it, don't we?...

Old 10-27-2007, 11:32 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,395,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
The absolutely breathtaking level of hypocrisy is certainly a factor here. There's something deep in the American culture that gives us a special intolerance of hypocrisy to begin with. We put up with it in our elected officials, and now we get it from the official Mexican government----a message of "do as I say, not as I do".

You probably couldn't find a worse audience in the world for hypocritical ideas than the American public. We certainly do get a lot of it, don't we?...

Indeed! Most Americans do not know how badly Mexico treats Central American illegal immigrants, and how heavily it patrols its Southern border to keep the flow of people out. If they did, Americans would be even angrier.

ESPECIALLY since the "brown indigenous own this continent and should be allowed free roam to settle wherever they please" crowd isn't exactly working hard to allow Central American indigenous to have free access to settle in Mexico.

Mexican governmental hypocricy on immigration is astoundingly blatant.

But anyway, there'd BE no "border fence" if there wasn't a NEED for a border fence. (I prefer "virtual" barriers, however). Good fences make good neighbors.

Old 10-27-2007, 01:19 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,880,656 times
My wife is from the PI, she came here in 2002. Since her arrival she has gone through the legal immigration process which involved getting a visa, conditional GC, removal of conditions, naturalization. She has delivered and raised my two children who are now 3 and 4 years old. She got her GED (required for a pell grant) and this semester will graduate with a 4 point GPA in accounting. Shes beautiful, intelligent, hardworking. She loves everything about this country

model minority

and no you are not a racist

Old 10-27-2007, 02:10 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,950,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
My wife is from the PI, she came here in 2002. Since her arrival she has gone through the legal immigration process which involved getting a visa, conditional GC, removal of conditions, naturalization. She has delivered and raised my two children who are now 3 and 4 years old. She got her GED (required for a pell grant) and this semester will graduate with a 4 point GPA in accounting. Shes beautiful, intelligent, hardworking. She loves everything about this country

model minority

and no you are not a racist
Not everyone has the money to apply for apply for legal citizenship.

Old 10-27-2007, 02:36 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,395,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post

Not everyone can afford a Mercedes Benz. Doesn't mean we should allow people to "take" them because they want one.

Old 10-27-2007, 02:44 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,880,656 times
Application and processing fees are not that expensive even by Mexican or Filipino standards. Hardly a hinderance to legal immigration. I suspect the reason for ignoring the legal route is the time it takes to get in line and wait your turn.

Quote:

Old 10-27-2007, 02:45 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,950,328 times
People in Mexico make about $10.. the legal way. On top of that they have expenses and a family.

Old 10-27-2007, 02:48 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,103,724 times
Quote:
People in Mexico make about $10.. the legal way. On top of that they have expenses and a family.
per hour....per minute....per month...per year.....Come on pro....usually you're a little more "on" with your posts....this one means nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration