Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 11:35 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,857,673 times

Advertisements

A wealth of information:

Quote:
Compared to other immigrant groups in the United States, Mexican immigrants were less likely to enter as refugees; more likely to become lawful permanent residents (LPRs) as immediate family members of US citizens and LPRs; more likely to enter the United States without authorization; reported having lower levels of English proficiency and education; and were more likely to be of working age.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:29 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
A wealth of information:

For those of us on the front lines, this is not news.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:35 AM

63,132 posts, read 29,316,816 times
Much of that info is a negative so not sure what the intent is.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Much of that info is a negative so not sure what the intent is.
Truthfulness...

Old 03-06-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Truthfulness...
Yet those who are advocates for Mexican immigrants either legal or illegal say they are assimilating and learning English. The article doesn't really support that. That is only one example of the negative implication of their presence here from the article provided. It would have been better if they hadn't lumped them altogether also. I wish they had differentiated both groups in all of their stats.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:11 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,594,820 times
Quote:
A wealth of information:

Isn't this what we have been saying for ages? Yes, few Mexicans enter the U.S. as refugees. But then, why should they? The last time I checked, there's no famine in Mexico, no catastrophic earthquakes, no government-sponsored mass murders of citizens, or anything that would warrant refugee status.

Most Mexican "immigrants" are here illegally. No surprise there, although many pro-illegals try to dispute this fact. If I'm not mistaken, you have as well.

Yes, Mexicans have a higher rate of family sponsorship and LPR status than other groups. In fact, Mexico has more than twice the number of the second country on the list. That data has been presented on numerous occasions.

Mexicans also tend to be less educated, with a higher illiteracy rate. However, I do believe those stats apply primarily to illegal alien Mexicans. Of course I could be mistaken.

So, what point are you trying to make? And, why did you give the thread a "thumbs-up?" Do you consider this "positive" data?

Old 03-06-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Isn't this what we have been saying for ages? Yes, few Mexicans enter the U.S. as refugees. But then, why should they? The last time I checked, there's no famine in Mexico, no catastrophic earthquakes, no government-sponsored mass murders of citizens, or anything that would warrant refugee status...
If you read everything closely, it reports no Mexicans were admitted as refugees in the 2011 data. Mexicans also had a very low (1%, 294 individuals out of 24,988) asylum rate as well. So when there is statements on this forum saying that Mexicans are getting asylum in "very large numbers", it should quickly strike you as being suspicious.

Quote:
...Most Mexican "immigrants" are here illegally. No surprise there, although many pro-illegals try to dispute this fact. If I'm not mistaken, you have as well...
So find where I disputed that statistic, just like you found the data that Mexicans have a higher percentage of "sham marriages" with U.S. citizens than other nationalities of immigrants:

Quote:
...There are also countless documented cases of "scam" marriages involving Mexicans. Should that be considered an indication that every marriage between a citizen and Mexican illegal alien is fraudulent? Of course not! However, given the prevalence of this practice, it is only human nature (not spite) to be somewhat suspect of those marriages...
Oh, wait, you didn't substantiate that claim. That belief would not be limited to just illegal aliens. Why do you feel (without showing data) that Mexican Nationals have a higher "prevalence" of sham marriages with U.S. citizens?

Back to the report of most Mexican immigrants being here illegally. It is true: The data shows 58% of Mexican immigrants (6.8 million of "nearly" 11.7 million) are in the U.S. illegally.

Quote:
...Yes, Mexicans have a higher rate of family sponsorship and LPR status than other groups. In fact, Mexico has more than twice the number of the second country on the list. That data has been presented on numerous occasions...
59% of Mexican LPRs granted status in 2011 were "Immediate Relatives" of U.S. citizens, not under any quotas. A majority. There is also a high percentage of Mexican LPRs that qualify (at least for the length of residency) to naturalize, which raises an aspect of whether "encouragement" needs to be applied to lower that percentage.

Quote:
...Mexicans also tend to be less educated, with a higher illiteracy rate. However, I do believe those stats apply primarily to illegal alien Mexicans. Of course I could be mistaken...
Perhaps, but I'm not going to get into that discussion for now...

Quote:
...So, what point are you trying to make? And, why did you give the thread a "thumbs-up?" Do you consider this "positive" data?
I consider the data realistic. For that value, I will present it whether it is unflattering or not. Do you think I will merely mask what I feel is a legitimate issue if it involves Mexicans?

Old 03-07-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
If you read everything closely, it reports no Mexicans were admitted as refugees in the 2011 data. Mexicans also had a very low (1%, 294 individuals out of 24,988) asylum rate as well. So when there is statements on this forum saying that Mexicans are getting asylum in "very large numbers", it should quickly strike you as being suspicious.

So find where I disputed that statistic, just like you found the data that Mexicans have a higher percentage of "sham marriages" with U.S. citizens than other nationalities of immigrants:

Oh, wait, you didn't substantiate that claim. That belief would not be limited to just illegal aliens. Why do you feel (without showing data) that Mexican Nationals have a higher "prevalence" of sham marriages with U.S. citizens?

Back to the report of most Mexican immigrants being here illegally. It is true: The data shows 58% of Mexican immigrants (6.8 million of "nearly" 11.7 million) are in the U.S. illegally.

59% of Mexican LPRs granted status in 2011 were "Immediate Relatives" of U.S. citizens, not under any quotas. A majority. There is also a high percentage of Mexican LPRs that qualify (at least for the length of residency) to naturalize, which raises an aspect of whether "encouragement" needs to be applied to lower that percentage.

Perhaps, but I'm not going to get into that discussion for now...

I consider the data realistic. For that value, I will present it whether it is unflattering or not. Do you think I will merely mask what I feel is a legitimate issue if it involves Mexicans?
I have never heard anyone state in this forum that large numbers of Mexicans are being admitted as asylum seekers in our country. Would you post proof of that? It wouldn't make any sense since Mexicans aren't coming from countries like Cuba for example.

I recall you disputing that the high Hispanic/Mexican growth rate was from illegal immigration and their births on our soil. If you now admit and even posted proof with your link that there are more Mexicans here illegally than legally that kind of blows that all to heck, doesn't it?

As for your last sentence yes, you have challenged many unflattering but factual stats in here about Mexican illegals in particular.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
...I recall you disputing that the high Hispanic/Mexican growth rate was from illegal immigration and their births on our soil. If you now admit and even posted proof with your link that there are more Mexicans here illegally than legally that kind of blows that all to heck, doesn't it?...
I'll answer the other points with a later post, but I wanted to address this one in particular now. The discussion was the Hispanic birthrate coupled with a total Hispanic legal and illegal immigration, not just illegal immigration versus legal immigration from Mexico. Quit thinking that a declaration is the same when you move the goalposts.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I'll answer the other points with a later post, but I wanted to address this one in particular now. The discussion was the Hispanic birthrate coupled with a total Hispanic legal and illegal immigration, not just illegal immigration versus legal immigration from Mexico. Quit thinking that a declaration is the same when you move the goalposts.

I haven't moved the goal posts at all. There are approximately 50,000 Hispanics in this country including citizens, the elderly, legal and illegal immigrants and those too young to give birth or that are males. Hispanics of Mexican ancestry (both legal and illegal) far outnumber any Hispanics of other nationalities. Since there are nearly 7 million legal and illegal immigrants from Mexico alone here of which according to my source (year 2010) 6.6 million are illegal immigrants and many if not most of child bearing age it is not a stretch to assume that most of the Hispanic growth rate is via illegal immigration especially when you combine other nationalities of Hispanic origin. Your source from 2011 says that the combined number both legal and illegals is 11.7 million. Top 10 legal and illegal immigrant nationalities in the U.S. - OhMyGov News

I'd like to see a source that shows the growth from Hispanic citizen and their legal immigrant births vs. growth from illegal immigration from their group including their anchor babies for a comparison. I would also like to see a source that breaks out this growth from Mexican ancestry alone. I have a hunch I am right in my assumptions.

Remember also that many of these anchors are old enought to be giving birth in our country also. The point is that it all stems from the initial action of illegal immigration.

Last edited by Oldglory; 03-07-2013 at 10:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration