Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 04:41 PM

537 posts, read 441,539 times

Advertisements

Found this to be a real interesting article
filled with lots of info.

Center for Immigration Studies

"The latest data confirm that the 1996 immigration and welfare reforms did not "end welfare as we know it" with regard to immigrant welfare usage. Despite a very strong economy and welfare reform, data that include illegal aliens (who are ineligible for welfare under the law, and thus whose inclusion in the data dilutes the figures for immigrant welfare usage) show that immigrants persist in becoming charges of the public – in fact, if not under prevailing legal standards. Now, 13.2 percent of immigrants enroll in welfare programs (TANF, general assistance, and state and local cash assistance), compared with 2.1 percent of native-born Americans. In SSI, 5.3 percent of immigrants enroll, compared with 3.9 percent of native-born. In Medicaid, 18.6 percent of immigrants participate, as opposite 12.1 percent of native-born. In food stamps, 6.7 percent of immigrants enroll, compared with 5.3 percent of native-born. As for participation in any welfare program, 19.7 percent of immigrants are on welfare, while just 13.3 percent of native-born are recipients."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 04:50 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,952,614 times
Welfare should be cut off as a whole. We wouldn't have this problem if Welfare wasn't there.

group % on welfare
all immigrants 45%
Chinese 55%
Filipino 39%
Iranian 26%
Korean 50%
Mexican 21%
Soviet Union 66%
Vietnamese 74%

all native-born 9%

Welfare Facts

Old 10-29-2007, 04:54 PM

Yeah, yeah, we know how you feel. The facts are that welfare and such social programs are for CITIZENS. You do understand what a citizen is don't you? I would like to see all social programs cut back. That is why it does not bother me one bit when Bush vetos the insurance bill for children because back when I was being raised and growing up, parents took care of their own kids and did not expect the governmnet or the liberal wussies out there to do it. Times change, as you tell us all of the time. The facts are that immigrants, legal or illegal should not receive any form or help from any social program in this country.

Last edited by Veiled Prophet; 10-29-2007 at 05:03 PM..

Old 10-29-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veiled Prophet View Post
Yeah, yeah, we know how you feel. The facts are that welfare and such social programs are for CITIZENS. You do understand what a citizen is don't you? I would like to see all social programs cut back. That is why it does not bother me one bit when Bush vetos the insurance bill for children because back when I was being raised and growing up, parents took care of their own kids and did not expect the governmnet or the liberal wussies out there to do it. Times cahnge, as you tell us all of the time. The facts are that immigrants, legal or illegal should not receive any form or help from any social program in this country.
Agreed, 100%.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:04 PM

Now, you have me stumped Pro. Thanks.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:12 PM

Many people believe I am pro-illegal. I may be an American of first Generation Mexican decent but I do not support illegal immigration. I believe we should have tighter security on borders but give the current illegals amnesty since it would costs a lot of money to send them back and very time consuming. On that note, it is not up to the Government to give people services like we are now. The Liberals need to stop spending so much tax dollars on assistance and worry about cutting taxes for the hard working Americans.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:15 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
Yeah, yeah, we know how you feel. The facts are that welfare and such social programs are for CITIZENS. You do understand what a citizen is don't you?
You do realize that Non Citizens / Illegal Immigrants get welfare, don't you?

Old 10-29-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
You do realize that Non Citizens / Illegal Immigrants get welfare, don't you?
Yes, and that is what I said if you would read the whole thing. I have been saying this for quite some time now.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:25 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
Yes, and that is what I said if you would read the whole thing. I have been saying this for quite some time now.
I'm sorry - my error

Old 10-29-2007, 05:37 PM

447 posts, read 798,397 times
Quote:
Yeah, yeah, we know how you feel. The facts are that welfare and such social programs are for CITIZENS. You do understand what a citizen is don't you? I would like to see all social programs cut back. That is why it does not bother me one bit when Bush vetos the insurance bill for children because back when I was being raised and growing up, parents took care of their own kids and did not expect the governmnet or the liberal wussies out there to do it. Times change, as you tell us all of the time. The facts are that immigrants, legal or illegal should not receive any form or help from any social program in this country.

veiled prophet...nice to see you again...
i wish ther was no need for social programs too, but,in my opinion, with insurance premiums the way they are these days, there may be a need for some type of help for americans.
i dont see it as people not taking care of their families, i see it as insurance companies being out of control kind of like a frankenstien monster.
my husband has insurance provided by his employer, yet at over five hundred dollars a month just in premiums, no to mention the copays, we cannot afford to insure the family.
in california, insurance companies are regulated, yet in other states, it is not....
they can charge whatever they want.
sad.
essentially, we just wait and pray our kids dont hurt themselves, and when and if they do....we pay the cost out of our pockets.
i dont really know what the answer is, just wish healthcare was more affordable.
anyway...good to see you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration