Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 06:18 AM

318 posts, read 568,049 times

Advertisements

The Gang of Eight have presented their new Comprehensive Immigration Reform Bill and already the media reports that the special interest groups are saying it is too strict and anti immigrant and anti business.

They CLAIM there are not enough slots for family reunification

They CLAIM there is not enough H1-V Visas for foreign STEM Workers

They CLAIM that the undocumented workers can not afford to pay the $500 fee to get temporary legal status

They CLAIM that the current "undocumented workers" should not have to apply and get a full background check and pay taxes before getting temporary legal status

Business CLAIM there are not enough special VISA's for construction workers

The Restaurant and hospitality industry CLAIMS that the E-Verify Requirement (to verify the right to work) would make it too hard to find workers

What do you think will happen to the bill after the business communities lobby has their say?

Businesses gear up for fight as immigration details leak - Anna Palmer - POLITICO.com

Last edited by Mr Spock; 04-16-2013 at 06:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 07:10 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,510,679 times
All "special" interests, representing all points of view ... will lobby for changes to favor their clients/membership. It's one of the principal challenges/impediments of approving meaningful legislation. Greed and self-interest.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:49 AM

2,475 posts, read 2,079,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
The Gang of Eight have presented their new Comprehensive Immigration Reform Bill and already the media reports that the special interest groups are saying it is too strict and anti immigrant and anti business.

They CLAIM there are not enough slots for family reunification

They CLAIM there is not enough H1-V Visas for foreign STEM Workers

They CLAIM that the undocumented workers can not afford to pay the $500 fee to get temporary legal status

They CLAIM that the current "undocumented workers" should not have to apply and get a full background check and pay taxes before getting temporary legal status

Business CLAIM there are not enough special VISA's for construction workers

The Restaurant and hospitality industry CLAIMS that the E-Verify Requirement (to verify the right to work) would make it too hard to find workers

What do you think will happen to the bill after the business communities lobby has their say?

Businesses gear up for fight as immigration details leak - Anna Palmer - POLITICO.com
DOA in the House.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:30 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,704,336 times
it is H1-B visa not V.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:49 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,359,290 times
This bill is outrageous and unacceptable. It's just further proof that the US government will be happy with nothing less than the hollowing out of the American middle class.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:18 AM

154 posts, read 220,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
All "special" interests, representing all points of view ... will lobby for changes to favor their clients/membership. It's one of the principal challenges/impediments of approving meaningful legislation. Greed and self-interest.
Yes, I agree with you.

I don't think that amnesty will going to happen in anytime soon.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:13 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,510,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf150 View Post
Yes, I agree with you.

I don't think that amnesty will going to happen in anytime soon.
I think the term "amnesty" is tossed about a bit too freely. If anything, it will be "conditional" and many of the illegal aliens will not qualify for the path to citizenship or long-term residency in the USA ... if early reports contained in the "outline" of the legislation are accurate. Many 'hoops' will have to be jumped-through, fines paid, good behavior demonstrated, etc., etc.

One of the biggest challenge, as I see it ... is how do we forstall a future avalanche of illegal aliens from south of the border who may think they would eventually outlast the government will if they arrived here. 'Securing the border' is a proposal more easily talked about than becoming a reality.

And, too, I'm concerned about whatever number of millions of now illegal aliens, soon to be given permissioin to remain in the USA, one day having the right/opportunity to bring additional family members into the USA. Let's say there are 8 million illegals who qualify to stay here and do and half bring 2 or 3 "family" members into the USA. That would be a potential influx of an additional 24 million on top of the 8 million - 32 million persons from essentially one country who would have to assimilate. Such an influx in a relatively short time period would probably substantially alter the culture of the USA. I think such a possibility deserves broader and more serious discussion amongst U.S. citizens and their elected representatives ... before a law which may allow it is approved.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:34 PM

318 posts, read 568,049 times
I think it is going to pass because the media, big business, labor, ethnic groups, and the church leaders are all for it. The only people who are against it is the majority of the American people whose will is usually ignored and actual thoughts on the issue are confused by misleading polls designed to move public policy.

If they asked me if I support comprehensive immigration reform, I would say yes. But how I define it would be different than many other people. I would also answer in a poll that I support a pathway for some illegal aliens. But what they would not allow me to say in the poll is I only support it for maybe 5% of them.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:40 PM

50,489 posts, read 47,262,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I think the term "amnesty" is tossed about a bit too freely. If anything, it will be "conditional" and many of the illegal aliens will not qualify for the path to citizenship or long-term residency in the USA ... if early reports contained in the "outline" of the legislation are accurate. Many 'hoops' will have to be jumped-through, fines paid, good behavior demonstrated, etc., etc.

One of the biggest challenge, as I see it ... is how do we forstall a future avalanche of illegal aliens from south of the border who may think they would eventually outlast the government will if they arrived here. 'Securing the border' is a proposal more easily talked about than becoming a reality.

And, too, I'm concerned about whatever number of millions of now illegal aliens, soon to be given permissioin to remain in the USA, one day having the right/opportunity to bring additional family members into the USA. Let's say there are 8 million illegals who qualify to stay here and do and half bring 2 or 3 "family" members into the USA. That would be a potential influx of an additional 24 million on top of the 8 million - 32 million persons from essentially one country who would have to assimilate. Such an influx in a relatively short time period would probably substantially alter the culture of the USA. I think such a possibility deserves broader and more serious discussion amongst U.S. citizens and their elected representatives ... before a law which may allow it is approved.
This absolutely destroys our public school system. Flooding certain parts of Cities with kids that, by default, can't even understand the Teacher.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:41 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,606,602 times
For the illegals, anything short of going through what the current legal immigrants are going through is amnesty. Plain and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration