Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 05:38 AM

140 posts, read 112,027 times

Advertisements

I have read quite a few articles lately about hordes of illegals, mostly from Mexico, who are packing it up and heading back home. My question is; Many of these families have had children here in the United Stated who are technically American citizens. Will they be considered illegal aliens in Mexico? Will they be in danger of deportation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 06:45 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,344,103 times
That's an interesting question. I think that the American government ought to strip them of this citizenship, since the 14th Amendment has been misinterpreted in the first place.

It was never meant to have people come over the border illegally and have a baby who would then be a U.S. citizen. It cheapens U.S. citizenship. The Supreme Court did this years ago, and it's just wrong. A baby of an illegal should be illegal.

Anyway, most likely, we'll send them their benefits back to Mexico.

Mexico recognizes dual citizenship, I believe, so they won't be deported, thankfully for us.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:14 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,148,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
That's an interesting question. I think that the American government ought to strip them of this citizenship, since the 14th Amendment has been misinterpreted in the first place.

It was never meant to have people come over the border illegally and have a baby who would then be a U.S. citizen. It cheapens U.S. citizenship. The Supreme Court did this years ago, and it's just wrong. A baby of an illegal should be illegal.

Anyway, most likely, we'll send them their benefits back to Mexico.

Mexico recognizes dual citizenship, I believe, so they won't be deported, thankfully for us.
I can understand not issuing birthright citizenship for those anchors born, say, after January 1st 2008-------for the ones born prior, grandfather them in and call it good.

NOTE: that loss of birthright would only apply if both parents were in the country illegally.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:22 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,151,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I can understand not issuing birthright citizenship for those anchors born, say, after January 1st 2008-------for the ones born prior, grandfather them in and call it good.

NOTE: that loss of birthright would only apply if both parents were in the country illegally.
What if the father was in Mexico or China or Russia?

Old 11-02-2007, 08:46 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,506,355 times
Many birthright babies born of illegals parents have been applied for at the Mexican, Guatemala and Hondurus Consulates for citizenship of their American born babies.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:03 AM

756 posts, read 2,000,685 times
That is a great question I have thought about that myself there is no easy answer.
I do not agree with anchor babies, but this is our law in we have allowed this for years now and these childern are american.

Ex. my son goes to school with a boy that is in 5th grade he was born here just 30 miles away. his whole life has been this small safe town. his mother is from mexico and is illegal(as his father)he speaks only english, all of his friends at school are white.we have notice that when he is talking to his mother at school he will only speaks to her in english this seems to upset her sometimes but you can tell she is very proud to be his mother.I think his father does sheet-rock due to there is always sheet-rock mud on his pants, he speaks a little english not much(I think he understands what everyone is saying)they always come to school togeather for everything plays,lunchs,programs you name it they are there.I have been told that the boy translates for his mother when she is talking with his teacher(he is also teaching his mother some english)they had to write a paper about there family his story was short, he has never meet his uncles are aunts they live in mexico he has never been there and does not want to go there he told every-one that very poor people live there they do not speak english, ride bikes, play football, join the band, have sleep overs, he then told us, he would never live some-where like that!!for he is an american.

my point is how do we deport these childern that know no other way of life,
they have been told they are americans like us(and they are).how do we go now and tell them you have no rights here in this is not your home?
and send them to a third world country!! and make them pay for their mothers crime, because that is what we would be doing.

I do not agree with anchor babies, but we have a major problem that there is no easy fix to. so does any-one have any ideas?

GOD BLESS YOU ALL

Old 11-02-2007, 09:15 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,344,103 times
[quote=southernbliss;1894170]That is a great question I have thought about that myself there is no easy answer.
I do not agree with anchor babies, but this is our law in we have allowed this for years now and these childern are american.

It really is sad for the kids - they are paying for the "sins of their parents", as we all do, I guess, in some way.

If both parents are illegal like in this case, he would have to go with them, if they are deported. They could leave him here with someone, but they wouldn't want to do that, I imagine.

It's like if your parent goes to jail, and you have to live without them, because they have broken the law. Same thing with illegals - they break the law and then blame America for "splitting up their families".

Probably, if there wasn't such a HUGE influx of illegals down on the southern border, we could have dealt better with individual cases, but we are just overwhelmed now, and have to apply the law to all of them in the same way.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:15 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,506,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbliss View Post
That is a great question I have thought about that myself there is no easy answer.

Ex. my son goes to school with a boy that is in 5th grade he was born here just 30 miles away. his whole life has been this small safe town. his mother is from mexico and is illegal(as his father)he speaks only english, all of his friends at school are white.we have notice that when he is talking to his mother at school he will only speaks to her in english this seems to upset her sometimes but you can tell she is very proud to be his mother.I think his father does sheet-rock due to there is always sheet-rock mud on his pants, he speaks a little english not much(I think he understands what everyone is saying)they always come to school togeather for everything plays,lunchs,programs you name it they are there.I have been told that the boy translates for his mother when she is talking with his teacher(he is also teaching his mother some english)they had to write a paper about there family his story was short, he has never meet his uncles are aunts they live in mexico he has never been there and does not want to go there he told every-one that very poor people live there they do not speak english, ride bikes, play football, join the band, have sleep overs, he then told us, he would never live some-where like that!!for he is an american.

my point is how do we deport these childern that know no other way of life,
they have been told they are americans like us(and they are).how do we go now and tell them you have no rights here in this is not your home?
and send them to a third world country!! and make them pay for their mothers crime, because that is what we would be doing.

I do not agree with anchor babies, but we have a major problem that there is no easy fix to. so does any-one have any ideas?

GOD BLESS YOU ALL
The children knowing nothing but english and parents knowing spanish only is very common amongst legals too. Many Americans don't think this all the way through, that even though this migrate generation is not speaking english, the young next generation is in most cases ONLY speaking english.

I'll be honest my mother became a legal citizen in 1980's, she is a stay at home mom and doesn't speak English very well, she can understand, but not say it back. However, her 2 kids my brother and I were raised to speak english and didn't start to learn spanish until later on. I still have problems writing in spanish.

So yeah, it is true these children have been raised as Americans, their parents getting deported is a big humanity problem. Many parents are scared and running back to Mexico with their now American raised child.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:16 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,562,173 times
I dont know the intricacies of citizenship law--but I do know Mexican law extends a long way to include her "children" in foreign countries---that's part of the basis upon which Mexican consulates here in the States frequently protest about the conditions of their citizens who are here--even the illegal ones.

Also, I believe Mexican law was altered several years ago to allow for the concept of "dual citizenship"---allowing Mexicans here to vote in Mexican elections, and even long-time US residents of Mexican origin to run for office in Mexico..and for Mexican-born Americans to claim Mexican citizenship in order to be able to own property in Mexico...

Somehow, in all this, it seems to me that the "anchor babies" will probably be provided for...Correct me if I'm wrong...

Old 11-02-2007, 09:17 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,151,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
So yeah, it is true these children have been raised as Americans, there parents getting deported is a big humanity problem. Many parents are scared and running back to Mexico with their now American raised child.
So? They knew that was a possibility when they came here and dropped their anchor baby. They're the ones responsible for what happens to their child, not us. No sympathy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration