Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 04:49 PM

43 posts, read 155,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raelynn View Post
Did you honestly know that English not the official language of the US.
And it shouldn't be. Personally, I think we'd all be a lot better off speaking Spanish. We'd be able to communicate better with our 600 million neighbors to the south. We'd probably stop meddling in their internal affairs as much. And we'd be able to travel there with much more confidence.

Hell, I mean, the Brits hate our guts anyway. What's the point with continuing with this "English" charade? Speaking Spanish would help us in our daily lives and represent a gigantic middle finger aimed at London. Folks, that's called a win-win.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:07 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,954,232 times
How would you guys feel with two official languages? Like Canada?

Old 11-02-2007, 05:25 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,204,516 times
English is by far the most international language in the world. People in dirt-poor Afghanistan are learning English so there is no reason why people here in the US can't learn it!

Old 11-02-2007, 06:29 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,564,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
How would you guys feel with two official languages? Like Canada?
Two languages sharing official status seems "charming" up in Canada, speaking as a tourist. But I know it can be annoying to the locals. Some areas have almost no Francophones--same with parts of Quebec where English serves little purpose.

I do know there are sometimes some pretty silly lawsuits over linguistic "turf" up there--there was a "Pilot vs Air Traffic Controller" suit some years back. Sounded like an argument between 8-year-olds, but it got pretty ugly. It may be that two "official languages" will happen here. But I'm not sure the Canadians would do it over again, if they had the choice.

Bottom line is, people being people, I can foresee endless petty arguing over whose language gets "first billing"---and who gets to be "first" in official documents---and whether we need to "take turns", etc. You could probably "google" some of this stuff and see if it really is a problem in Canada.

But that's just my personal opinion.....

Old 11-02-2007, 06:34 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,155,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
It's the de facto official language of this country, as all executive and legislative government business in this country is conducted in English. Do you know what "de facto" means?

Illegals from EVERY country who do not speak English should be REQUIRED to learn English. In fact, you have to demonstrate proficiency in English to become a citizen of this country unless you're mentally deficient, too young to speak, or too elderly to learn.

For someone who is supposedly sponsoring her illegal signifcant other through the immigration system, you don't seem to know very much about it. Tell me...have you started filling out your hardship waiver yet...because you're going to need one. Big time.
I agree 100% with your post.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:35 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,717,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Uh.....it's spelled "privilege."

But do go on.
Sorry Sir, My English is not the best! I will try to use my spell check next time. I'm on a different computer

Old 11-02-2007, 06:49 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,478,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raelynn View Post
Did you honestly know that English not the official language of the US. People its not so stop saying illegals should learn it cause honestly we don't have an official language. I'm sure people would love think that English should be but until Puerto Rico is not associated with the US anymore I don't think its going to happen.

I'm posting this thread because I've been looking through some others and notice a lot of people say.... They should learn english and maybe people wouldn't mind as much, or They should learn english because thats what everyone else speaks, or They should learn english becasue this or this.

I think that english is a really hard language to learn. Hell some Americans can not even get it right!! I know that i have a hard time making things come out right. I do speak english and spanish and its a lot easier for me to live in the world knowing both.

So people please stop saying that illegals from any country should learn english because simply its not our official language!!!
i am glad we agree, speaking english and spanish makes your and my life much easier. i think everybody should do it. it makes us appreciate each other more doesn't it? i was wondering if someone like you who has made this transition and accomplishment would be interested in being able to help others accomplish what you and i have? i am sure many would be grateful for the help. again thanks for your post.

good post.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:53 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,754,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean34597 View Post
And it shouldn't be. Personally, I think we'd all be a lot better off speaking Spanish. We'd be able to communicate better with our 600 million neighbors to the south. We'd probably stop meddling in their internal affairs as much. And we'd be able to travel there with much more confidence.

Hell, I mean, the Brits hate our guts anyway. What's the point with continuing with this "English" charade? Speaking Spanish would help us in our daily lives and represent a gigantic middle finger aimed at London. Folks, that's called a win-win.
Which Brits do you know that hate us? Every time I'm in England, I am treated with the utmost respect. Many of the British hold a fond spot for their "cousins from across the pond." Do they agree with all of our political policies? Absolutely not, but they hold the politicians responsible for that, not the ordinary American. Personally, I have no desire to aim a middle finger at London, nor anywhere else in the world for that matter.

If you really like Spanish so much, you should really consider moving south. In America, we speak English. English is the language of international trade, of international finance, and international commerce. English is the most learned second language in the world.

Personally, as I was looking to fulfill my language requirement for school, I choose ASL. Why don't you learn to communicate with an often overlooked culture within the American culture? I would much rather learn to communicate with an American Deaf person than someone who has flagrantly thumbed their nose at sovereign U.S. law and then expects me to accomodate them by learning their language on one hand while they suck the tax dollars out of my back pocket with the other.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:57 PM

537 posts, read 441,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean34597 View Post

No, the Brits do not hate our guts at all. Yes, a few do but so what?

You want to speak Spanish? Then move your butt to a Spanish speaking country and stop trying to change our coiuntry into a third world cesspool.

Last edited by Veiled Prophet; 11-02-2007 at 07:16 PM..

Old 11-02-2007, 07:00 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,237,375 times
1. If you are an illegal alien you have the right to remain silent...
2. If you are an immigrant of any kind my wife included then its on you to adapt to your new country.
3. As americans we are free to speak only 1 language or learn a dozen. It should never be forced upon us to learn anything but the common language of the land. ENGLISH...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration