Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2007, 11:52 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

CHICAGO — Nearly two dozen illegal immigrants were arrested Wednesday, accused of using fake security badges to work in critical areas of O'Hare International Airport, including the tarmac, authorities said.

The 23 illegal workers were employed by Ideal Staffing Solutions Inc., whose corporate secretary and office manager also were arrested after an eight-month investigation that involved federal, state and Chicago authorities.

The company contracted work for carriers including United Airlines, KLM and Qantas, said Elissa A. Brown, a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agent.

FOXNews.com - Two Dozen Illegal Immigrants Arrested Using Fake Badges to Work at O'Hare International Airport - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 11:57 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,952,077 times
Be thankful they were Jose and Maria.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:41 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
According to the story, it looks like the contractor had an inherent deception process. If this is true, it seems this would be a good company to fine out of existence, and provide jail time to those who thought this would be a smart plan. Doing this, and heavily publicizing it, could have a "chilling" effect on those who want to be "clever" in their hiring and ID process:

"Much of the investigation centered on the airport security badges issued by the Department of Aviation, said U.S. Attorney Patrick J. Fitzgerald. Agents found that 110 of the 134 badges issued to Ideal Staffing workers did not match the individuals who carried them, he said."

Old 11-08-2007, 07:42 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Deport the illegals and fine the ever-loving crap out of the company. Make examples of all of them.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:21 AM

402 posts, read 1,061,391 times
Quote:
Deport the illegals and fine the ever-loving crap out of the company. Make examples of all of them.
I agree, but I doubt that either of those things will happen. I doubt if there will be any more news stories about it either.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:27 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
damn dallas every time I try to give you a point it says that I need to spread them around first..
You said it perfectly. This is one case when it would be the perfect opprotunity to make an example out of all the above... Max fines and max penalties. When people fyl they need to be kept safe.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:31 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
damn dallas every time I try to give you a point it says that I need to spread them around first..
You said it perfectly. This is one case when it would be the perfect opprotunity to make an example out of all the above... Max fines and max penalties. When people fyl they need to be kept safe.
Aww, thanks tinman!

If I had anything to say about this that's exactly what would happen...deportations and maximum fines all around. Sadly, choctaw's probably right...that probably won't happen, they'll probably just get a slap on the wrist and these same illegals will probably just get jobs somewhere else.

We need to enforce our laws!

Old 11-08-2007, 08:45 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Aww, thanks tinman!

If I had anything to say about this that's exactly what would happen...deportations and maximum fines all around. Sadly, choctaw's probably right...that probably won't happen, they'll probably just get a slap on the wrist and these same illegals will probably just get jobs somewhere else.

We need to enforce our laws!
A novel idea enforce the laws. I get tired of hearing that laws are bad or don't work. No laws work when they are not enforced consistantly. I live in a small town. Speed limit 35mph. Let me tell you when people drive through our town they hit the breaks hard when entering. LOL Our local cop ( we call him Opie) will pull you over for exceeding the limit by 6 mph everytime. LOL People from 50 miles away know this about Meshoppen Pa. LOL Is it too hard core? I dont think so. Its called doing his job. Message is clear. Don't speed in our town or you will pay for it.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:06 AM

272 posts, read 784,517 times
Exclamation The tip of the iceberg....unfortunately...

This incident at O'Hare is not surprising....and probably is not an isolated situation either.
Most...if not all of the airports and seaports in the U.S. have this problem, a problem compounded by the fact that politically correct local and state government agencies and various 'advocacy groups' openly resist or ignore federal statues....
The federal government demands that ports [something I deal with constantly] have in place all sorts of detailed security measures...high-tech Biometric Identification etc.....but...here's the catch...many illegal immigrants work in the ports....so....do we issue documentation to those that are not citizens...not covered under U.S. law?....
For example...I am required by law to POSITIVELY IDENTIFY ALL PERSONS crossing into a port facility.....but...and it's a BIG BUT....I'm not allowed to profile....or detain....or stop someone because they are not U.S. citizens...and I have no way to check these people short of stopping them and starting an extended and fruitless search on an international level because they have no legal U.S. standing or documentation....And it just gets worse from there.....
Now...the terrorists...or those that have terror plans against the U.S. [regardless of all external factors like skin, ethnicity, religion or political bent] they know just how poorly our infrastructures and transportation systems are guarded and how porous or even non-existent our security measures are....they are fully aware of the lousy hopeless situation we are caught in. We are required to protect the U.S. its facilities....transportation assets...but we are forbidden by law...and politics ....[read threat of lawsuit]...from doing just that....It is the classic Catch-22.
This really is a case of the fox guarding the hen house....and sadly the hens are in love with the foxes that will eat them...
Many of the more experienced persons in the business have said to me over and over...that it will take MANY MORE 9-11 type attacks before the American People WAKE UP.....Sadly only THEN will there be progressive change....
As for poor 'Jose and Maria'....they need to go through the proper steps to immigrate to the U.S. like those before them....If this system needs 'fixing' then FIX it....Just because the steps are slow does NOT excuse breaking the law.....

Last edited by Coffee Mate; 11-08-2007 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: Woody Guthrie?

Old 11-08-2007, 04:19 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,508,923 times
Quote:
Yes indeed! I find it interesting that this happened in IL. They are for most intense purposes a sanctuary state. In fact, I seem to recall they were demanding that employers not use the Federal ID checking system available to employers. Hopefully this event will have an impact on that ill conceived practice as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration