Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 08:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,548,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Lawyer View Post
in South Florida it is hard to find a non minority working in a fast food chain. The white privileged kids just don't want to work there.
Not really. Managers hire who they want and minority managers typically hire minority workers.

I've been to a McDonald's in my local neighborhood over the years and saw it with my own eyes.
White manager has White workers, Hispanic manager has Hispanic workers and Black manager has Black workers.

Observe for yourself. Each store is independently owned and managers can hire who they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 08:56 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So you believe business ? These are the same ones laying off thousands of US workers while they cry to Congress they cannot find skilled help.
When people are graduating college and are still basically illiterate, what do you expect?

Old 09-21-2013, 09:14 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,682,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Lawyer View Post
in South Florida it is hard to find a non minority working in a fast food chain. The white privileged kids just don't want to work there.
That's funny because I am white and I have worked for Taco Bell, Burger King and McDonald's.

I live in NH and I have yet to come across a non-white fast food worker. Funny how that works huh?

Old 09-21-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
When people are graduating college and are still basically illiterate, what do you expect?
It's not college per say. There are sill many foreign students that come here to the US to study at our colleges.

When I went to college over 20 years ago my engineering classes were full of Asians and Indians (from India). Very few White students and in most classes I was the ONLY female.

K-12 is where your problems are.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:25 AM

63,005 posts, read 29,194,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Please provide a link to back up your claims.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:40 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,741,434 times
Quote:
Not really. Managers hire who they want and minority managers typically hire minority workers.

I've been to a McDonald's in my local neighborhood over the years and saw it with my own eyes.
White manager has White workers, Hispanic manager has Hispanic workers and Black manager has Black workers.

Observe for yourself. Each store is independently owned and managers can hire who they want.
They are NOT supposed to discriminate as far as race, ethnicity, gender, etc.

I would suspect the majority of black and white Americans hire from the applicants they get and when you see all black employees in a black neighborhood McDonalds, it's because not all that many whites applied to work there, same with the all white ones in neighborhoods where mostly only whites live.

The discrimination you see here is against English speakers, and apparently it's perfectly legal to discriminate to hire only Spanish speakers --- and of course require native fluency, and weirdly enough, even for jobs where language isn't all that necessary -- auto mechanics for example because cars don't talk.

It's fine to have some employees available for the immigrant customers but it's hard to see how they justify the requirement that all employees be fluent in Spanish -- or another foreign language. Or they could have employees of several language backgrounds including English.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
They are NOT supposed to discriminate as far as race, ethnicity, gender, etc.

I would suspect the majority of black and white Americans hire from the applicants they get and when you see all black employees in a black neighborhood McDonalds, it's because not all that many whites applied to work there, same with the all white ones in neighborhoods where mostly only whites live.

The discrimination you see here is against English speakers, and apparently it's perfectly legal to discriminate to hire only Spanish speakers --- and of course require native fluency, and weirdly enough, even for jobs where language isn't all that necessary -- auto mechanics for example because cars don't talk.

It's fine to have some employees available for the immigrant customers but it's hard to see how they justify the requirement that all employees be fluent in Spanish -- or another foreign language. Or they could have employees of several language backgrounds including English.
This was a McDonalds in my town where I lived to 10+ years.
I watched it change over the years based on the managers.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:13 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,917,999 times
Quote:

Break it down more: Hispanics who DoN'T speak Spanish usually don't like dealing with Hispanics who talk in that language and prefer to hire other English only speakers too. I have some Chicano friends; English language only, the things they say about especially illegal aliens would make a KKK dude cry.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:51 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,235,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Please provide a link to back up your claims.
LOL watch an interview with you average professional athlete.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:26 AM

63,005 posts, read 29,194,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
LOL watch an interview with you average professional athlete.
I don't consider them to be your typical college educated person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration