Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 02:13 PM

185 posts, read 355,568 times

Advertisements

More of the unbelievable hypocrisy from Mexico.

The Man From El Chuco: Border Scarface
by Luis Carrasco

Lou Dobbs, feel free to file this one under “We don’t want illegal aliens… and neither does Mexico.”

According to a La Opinión correspondent in Mexico City, mayors from the six Mexican states on the country’s northern border are complaining because they expect about a million people to be deported by the United States into their less-than-eager bosoms during the first six months of 2008.

The mayors, who where in Mexico City to speak with a senate committee, said their cities are not ready for the influx of so many new residents — especially if they’re criminals.

But wait, don’t uncork the moonshine just yet, my anti-immigrant friends. The mayors aren’t saying that all undocumented immigrants are criminals because they violate the immigration laws of the United States; they’re not about to back up your position any time soon.

What they’re saying is that among the hundreds of thousands they expect to see deported at least a few of them will be into unsavory things, such as murder and rape and such (curiously, that’s what my college band was called).

Oh, and did I say a few? I meant a lot.

Juárez Mayor José Reyes Ferriz is quoted in the story pulling the following MOD CUT: Out of the roughly 100,000 people who are deported into Juárez every year, about 7,000 of them are “delinquents, many of them document forgers,” and around 2,000 are “killers and rapists” who “stay in the border region.”

Yikes, so much for trying to convince El Pasoans to visit Juárez. On the bright side, the story is not clear whether Reyes Ferriz means there’s an additional 2,000 killer rapists loose in the city or if they are part of the original universe of 7,000 imported criminals a year.

Anyway, Tijuana mayor Kurt Honold Morales apparently believes that if you’re not part of the solution you’re part of the problem. According to the story, earlier this week Honold Morales asked Mexican President Felipe Calderón to establish an agreement with the United States government to send deportees directly to their place of origin, or, barring that, at least tell the border cities how many people they’ve dumped in their lap.

Obviously the Tijuana mayor doesn’t have the Juárez mayor’s statistician.

It’s easy to sympathize with the Mexican mayors who don’t want their streets overrun with newly arrived evil doers. If Brian De Palma’s “Scarface” has taught us anything, it’s that Latino gangsters are all cocaine-fueled psychopaths with bad Cuban accents that nobody wants in their town. But where does that leave me as a liberal columnist and illegal alien apologist?

It’s tough, let me tell you. If only I could figure out what’s going on …

What could be compelling these mayors to say criminal immigrants are a problem? What would take them to their nation’s capital to complain about how these people are a drain on their city’s resources? What reason could these keepers of the public trust possibly have, that would force them to make such incendiary statements?

Ah yes, money. If the above paragraph sounds familiar to you it may be because you have heard similar arguments from government officials of this side of the border. Be it Nashville, Tenn., or Tijuana, Baja California; Texas sheriffs or Mexican mayors. It all comes down to cash.

The mayors were in Mexico City to ask for money. Money that I’m sure would be put to good use, I mean, it’s not as if there’s a problem with corruption in … wait, let’s start again.

The mayors were in Mexico City to ask for money. Money that they said was needed for a growing population in cities with inadequate infrastructures and no real government-funded programs in place to handle deported immigrants.

There really is no problem with agencies or local governments asking for more funding. God knows it seems there’s always enough money to throw at everything else (except, of course, at things that could maybe make people’s lives better), so why not get a little taste of that?

It all goes wrong when these guys try to justify their needs, real or imagined, through fear. In this case, fear of the foreigner. Border sheriffs claim they need more money to keep the wave of crime that drowns Mexico from engulfing our fair cities and the Mexican mayors unwittingly back them up.

I say unwittingly because the thought that they’re working together would be too ironic to bear.

One could say that either they’re all telling the truth and the border is, in the words of the Juarez mayor, “a pressure cooker ready to explode,” or that they are all out for the quick buck. You tell me, but as always, the truth lies somewhere in between.

At the mayors’ meeting in Mexico City, a man with a more optimistic disposition was Marco Antonio Martínez, mayor of Nogales, Sonora. He is quoted in the story saying border communities could benefit from having undocumented immigrants become legal workers.

Martínez said he believes immigrants could work legally in the United States while their families lived close to the border. This would allow families to spend less time apart, give the United States a needed labor force, and help Mexico grow and prosper …

Is this guy for real? Is he suggesting some mutually beneficial legislation produced in a spirit of cooperation and clear-headed reasoning?

I don’t know what you’re thinking but I know what a lot of his fellow politicians would say to that: Just give that guy some money and get him out of here. He’s holding up the line.

Last edited by NewToCA; 11-16-2007 at 04:15 PM..

Old 11-16-2007, 03:12 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,681,842 times
At least we can deport illegal aliens to Mexico. China simply refuses to take theirs back. So we hold them 180 days then release them to the streets.

BBC NEWS | Americas | US says China refuses deportees

Old 11-16-2007, 03:17 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,154,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
At least we can deport illegal aliens to Mexico. China simply refuses to take theirs back. So we hold them 180 days then release them to the streets.

BBC NEWS | Americas | US says China refuses deportees
How can they REFUSE to take them back? Just put them on a non-stop flight to China. How can China refuse its own citizens? Gawd, I'm so sick of China.

Last edited by NewToCA; 11-16-2007 at 04:15 PM..

Old 11-16-2007, 06:53 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,728,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribster View Post

by Luis Carrasco

Lou Dobbs, feel free to file this one under “We don’t want illegal aliens… and neither does Mexico.”
Come on, Cribster . . . does this surprise you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
How can they REFUSE to take them back? Just put them on a non-stop flight to China. How can China refuse its own citizens? Gawd, I'm so sick of China.
Great idea, NativeDallasite . . . makes perfect sense to me!

Old 11-16-2007, 08:28 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,786,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribster View Post

by Luis Carrasco

According to a La Opinión correspondent in Mexico City, mayors from the six Mexican states on the country’s northern border are complaining because they expect about a million people to be deported by the United States into their less-than-eager bosoms during the first six months of 2008.

The mayors, who where in Mexico City to speak with a senate committee, said their cities are not ready for the influx of so many new residents — especially if they’re criminals.

But wait, don’t uncork the moonshine just yet, my anti-immigrant friends. The mayors aren’t saying that all undocumented immigrants are criminals because they violate the immigration laws of the United States; they’re not about to back up your position any time soon.

What they’re saying is that among the hundreds of thousands they expect to see deported at least a few of them will be into unsavory things, such as murder and rape and such (curiously, that’s what my college band was called).

Oh, and did I say a few? I meant a lot.

Juárez Mayor José Reyes Ferriz is quoted in the story pulling the following MOD CUT: Out of the roughly 100,000 people who are deported into Juárez every year, about 7,000 of them are “delinquents, many of them document forgers,” and around 2,000 are “killers and rapists” who “stay in the border region.”

Yikes, so much for trying to convince El Pasoans to visit Juárez. On the bright side, the story is not clear whether Reyes Ferriz means there’s an additional 2,000 killer rapists loose in the city or if they are part of the original universe of 7,000 imported criminals a year.

Anyway, Tijuana mayor Kurt Honold Morales apparently believes that if you’re not part of the solution you’re part of the problem. According to the story, earlier this week Honold Morales asked Mexican President Felipe Calderón to establish an agreement with the United States government to send deportees directly to their place of origin, or, barring that, at least tell the border cities how many people they’ve dumped in their lap.

Obviously the Tijuana mayor doesn’t have the Juárez mayor’s statistician.

It’s easy to sympathize with the Mexican mayors who don’t want their streets overrun with newly arrived evil doers. If Brian De Palma’s “Scarface” has taught us anything, it’s that Latino gangsters are all cocaine-fueled psychopaths with bad Cuban accents that nobody wants in their town. But where does that leave me as a liberal columnist and illegal alien apologist?

It’s tough, let me tell you. If only I could figure out what’s going on …

What could be compelling these mayors to say criminal immigrants are a problem? What would take them to their nation’s capital to complain about how these people are a drain on their city’s resources? What reason could these keepers of the public trust possibly have, that would force them to make such incendiary statements?

Ah yes, money. If the above paragraph sounds familiar to you it may be because you have heard similar arguments from government officials of this side of the border. Be it Nashville, Tenn., or Tijuana, Baja California; Texas sheriffs or Mexican mayors. It all comes down to cash.

The mayors were in Mexico City to ask for money. Money that I’m sure would be put to good use, I mean, it’s not as if there’s a problem with corruption in … wait, let’s start again.

The mayors were in Mexico City to ask for money. Money that they said was needed for a growing population in cities with inadequate infrastructures and no real government-funded programs in place to handle deported immigrants.

There really is no problem with agencies or local governments asking for more funding. God knows it seems there’s always enough money to throw at everything else (except, of course, at things that could maybe make people’s lives better), so why not get a little taste of that?

It all goes wrong when these guys try to justify their needs, real or imagined, through fear. In this case, fear of the foreigner. Border sheriffs claim they need more money to keep the wave of crime that drowns Mexico from engulfing our fair cities and the Mexican mayors unwittingly back them up.

I say unwittingly because the thought that they’re working together would be too ironic to bear.

One could say that either they’re all telling the truth and the border is, in the words of the Juarez mayor, “a pressure cooker ready to explode,” or that they are all out for the quick buck. You tell me, but as always, the truth lies somewhere in between.

At the mayors’ meeting in Mexico City, a man with a more optimistic disposition was Marco Antonio Martínez, mayor of Nogales, Sonora. He is quoted in the story saying border communities could benefit from having undocumented immigrants become legal workers.

Martínez said he believes immigrants could work legally in the United States while their families lived close to the border. This would allow families to spend less time apart, give the United States a needed labor force, and help Mexico grow and prosper …

Is this guy for real? Is he suggesting some mutually beneficial legislation produced in a spirit of cooperation and clear-headed reasoning?

I don’t know what you’re thinking but I know what a lot of his fellow politicians would say to that: Just give that guy some money and get him out of here. He’s holding up the line.
do you think these mayors are onto sumthin? if these mayors dont want their citizens back what does that tell ya about those illegals?

Old 11-16-2007, 09:06 PM

86 posts, read 146,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
do you think these mayors are onto sumthin? if these mayors dont want their citizens back what does that tell ya about those illegals?
That Mexico knows it's their problem, and they want their government to dump it on our laps.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:37 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,955,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
That Mexico knows it's their problem, and they want their government to dump it on our laps.

The U.S is used to people dumping their problems on us. We are basically the "Big brother" of the world.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:40 PM

86 posts, read 146,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
The U.S is used to people dumping their problems on us. We are basically the "Big brother" of the world.
That is one thing you and I can agree on. It needs to stop all around, not just with Illegal Immigration. And the people of this country are pretty resounding in their opinion of that fact.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:46 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,955,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
That is one thing you and I can agree on. It needs to stop all around, not just with Illegal Immigration. And the people of this country are pretty resounding in their opinion of that fact.
We should stop aiding other countries period. I believe Columbia receives the most aid from the U.S out of any other country. The only reason illegals are being aided is because the Government permits it. Really the Government should start focusing on its own people first, 35.5 million americans went hungry last year. And for the people that say "Oh, barely anyone starves in Mexico" look at the U.S. We are a highly developed nation that let 35.5 million people starve last year. In Mexico where people earn on average $10 a day, you cannot tell me that not a lot of people starve.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:36 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,432,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
We should stop aiding other countries period. I believe Columbia receives the most aid from the U.S out of any other country. The only reason illegals are being aided is because the Government permits it. Really the Government should start focusing on its own people first, 35.5 million americans went hungry last year. And for the people that say "Oh, barely anyone starves in Mexico" look at the U.S. We are a highly developed nation that let 35.5 million people starve last year. In Mexico where people earn on average $10 a day, you cannot tell me that not a lot of people starve.
You DO know that purchasing power is relative to currencies, correct?

You can have a full meal in Vietnam for 50 US cents. $1 US won't even buy you a McDonalds fries in Great Britain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.