Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 07:34 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON (AP) — The number of immigrants crossing the border illegally into the U.S. appears to be on the rise again after dropping during the recession.

The total number of immigrants living in this country unlawfully edged up from 11.3 million in 2009 to 11.7 million last year, with those from countries other than Mexico at an apparent all-time high, according to a report released Monday by the Pew Research Center's Hispanic Trends Project.

New signs of rising illegal immigration into US

I don't get what's wrong with the government because the US economy is in some real trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 07:46 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
WASHINGTON (AP) — The number of immigrants crossing the border illegally into the U.S. appears to be on the rise again after dropping during the recession.

The total number of immigrants living in this country unlawfully edged up from 11.3 million in 2009 to 11.7 million last year, with those from countries other than Mexico at an apparent all-time high, according to a report released Monday by the Pew Research Center's Hispanic Trends Project.

New signs of rising illegal immigration into US

I don't get what's wrong with the government because the US economy is in some real trouble.
Not surprising at all, though throughout the recession it seemed like the number of illegals only increased here...never decreased. Not just Hispanic illegals either! The majority of illegals in Texas (by a HUGE margin) are Hispanic, mainly from Mexico, but they're not the only ones. We get some illegal Chinese and Korean people, some Filippinos, some Indians...but Hispanics are probably 80% + of illegals around here. The US DHS lists the top 4 illegal immigrant home countries as Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras and they account for 74% of illegal immigrants in the US as a whole. In a border state like Texas, the balance is tipped further in favor of Hispanics. Illegal Europeans tend to favor the north and illegal Chinese and Indian people tend to favor the coasts. No hard and fast rules, mind you, but you see a lot more illegal Chinese in New York City or San Francisco than you see here.

I also saw a lot of Arizona plates on smoky beaters on the highway. Just sayin'.

I mention ethnicities because it's a lot easier for me to detect Hispanic illegals than it is for me to detect Asian illegals. I speak Spanish and there are certain behaviors/appearances/ways of speaking that make it more likely that someone's illegal. Again, no hard and fast rules...but people around here, especially people who can understand Spanish, can pick an illegal out of a crowd pretty easily.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:20 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Not surprising at all, though throughout the recession it seemed like the number of illegals only increased here...never decreased. Not just Hispanic illegals either! The majority of illegals in Texas (by a HUGE margin) are Hispanic, mainly from Mexico, but they're not the only ones. We get some illegal Chinese and Korean people, some Filippinos, some Indians...but Hispanics are probably 80% + of illegals around here. The US DHS lists the top 4 illegal immigrant home countries as Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras and they account for 74% of illegal immigrants in the US as a whole. In a border state like Texas, the balance is tipped further in favor of Hispanics. Illegal Europeans tend to favor the north and illegal Chinese and Indian people tend to favor the coasts. No hard and fast rules, mind you, but you see a lot more illegal Chinese in New York City or San Francisco than you see here.

I also saw a lot of Arizona plates on smoky beaters on the highway. Just sayin'.

I mention ethnicities because it's a lot easier for me to detect Hispanic illegals than it is for me to detect Asian illegals. I speak Spanish and there are certain behaviors/appearances/ways of speaking that make it more likely that someone's illegal. Again, no hard and fast rules...but people around here, especially people who can understand Spanish, can pick an illegal out of a crowd pretty easily.
Agreed about the "Spanish" part since many Indians and Philippine people do look like an average "Mexican".

Old 09-24-2013, 08:22 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed about the "Spanish" part since many Indians and Philippine people do look like an average "Mexican".
Oh no, I don't confuse Indians or Filippinos with Hispanics, they don't look anything alike to me. Most Hispanics here are Mestizo, especially the illegals...who are especially short and dark.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:30 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
Maybe a little OT, but I've been fascinated by the number of 18 - 20-ish yr old Hispanics driving around (Cathedral City, CA) in brand spanking new full size $35,000 pickup trucks. Is ACORN up to its tricks again, only under some new name and giving away vehicles instead of houses? (Cat' City is about 50% ACORN residential - hence my suspicions).

Anyway, I guess you get a free p/u once ya land. (And Barbara Boxer gets her votes).

Old 09-24-2013, 11:28 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Maybe a little OT, but I've been fascinated by the number of 18 - 20-ish yr old Hispanics driving around (Cathedral City, CA) in brand spanking new full size $35,000 pickup trucks. Is ACORN up to its tricks again, only under some new name and giving away vehicles instead of houses? (Cat' City is about 50% ACORN residential - hence my suspicions).

Anyway, I guess you get a free p/u once ya land. (And Barbara Boxer gets her votes).
It helps to be paid in cash with no taxes or health insurance premiums taken out, no child support garnished. Also running drugs and fellow illegals can bring in a few $10,000 here and there also untaxed. Thats also whyillegals can send billions of dolldollars home every month and live very high on the hog here. Obama has also exempted them from having to pay into obamacare while they can still expect free health care and medicaid for their US born kids.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:42 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Choo-Choo! All aboard the Gravy Train. Come on over and get to work on those anchor babies ASAP!

Old 09-25-2013, 03:02 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
Hispanic does not equal illegal. It would be great if this topic didn't focus on ethnicity/race as much as I feel it will.
Yac.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:21 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
Hispanic does not equal illegal. It would be great if this topic didn't focus on ethnicity/race as much as I feel it will.
Yac.
But it always will, Yac. It's inevitable as the changing of the tides. Question is, how many pages is this topic going to last before it gets closed

Old 09-25-2013, 08:47 PM

312 posts, read 494,471 times
Good news. Diversity is what America is about. I'm glad we're becoming a bilingual nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration