Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Anchor Babies go back to their Mother's Home Country when the Parent is deported?
The Baby is a US Citizen, it should stay in America 9 11.11%
The Mother Should decide 19 23.46%
The baby should be forced to leave with the deported Mother 53 65.43%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 04:14 PM

1,511 posts, read 980,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
The fact is we aren't talking about U.S. citizens. This is an immigration board.
citizens are part of the immigration debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 04:17 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,484,049 times
As a matter of fact............there is an "off" button. You can use the Ignore feature under your settings. It can be useful in situations where you recognize that there is no chance you will miss anything important by blocking that poster.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:47 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,176,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post

womens voting rights and civil liberties for african-americans didnt carry any weight with most americans, at points in our history. it doesnt justify them at all. same thing with this mess. its sad but true: the american public often doesnt know whats good for the american public.
One huge difference:

Blacks were brought to this country against their will------we, as a nation 'owed' them equal rights.

As for women not having full rights: many White people not so terribly long ago did not either.

Again: all of the above were either brought here and/or came with their families------legally.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:58 PM

547 posts, read 1,186,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Actually, when deciding certain statutes, courts often ask for briefs on "legislative intent" - briefs written from committee hearings, or writings of the authors of the legislation.

Assuming the quote of Senator Howard is accurate, it would be reasonable to cite it in a case brought before the court today. Has it been previously cited? I don't know - would be an interesting research project though -

Perhaps I can shake loose some time and warm up the 'ole Westlaw program
I have often thought the same thing. It would be interesting indeed to know if there is any precedent currently on the books. If not, all it would take is one brave attorney and one brave judge not afraid to stand up and be counted. Any lawyers out there who can shed some light on this for us? I do believe the text is accurate as it is how I remember it to be.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:05 PM

1,511 posts, read 980,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
One huge difference:

Blacks were brought to this country against their will------we, as a nation 'owed' them equal rights.

As for women not having full rights: many White people not so terribly long ago did not either.

Again: all of the above were either brought here and/or came with their families------legally.
it doesnt change the validity of my point at all.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
this tells me nothing. i get my facts from accredited websites. you generalize immigrants in the worst way possible, based off the actions of a select few who even i dont agree with! but when are the worst people in a group accurately representative of the whole?
Actually ghost, it was all over our local news when Elias Bermudez – Outspoken illegal alien supporter in a position of power, stated publicly during the protest rallies that most illegal Mexicans in this country have no desire to become citizens but are just here to make money to send home to their families in Mexico. Maybe he wouldn't be the chosen spokesperson of the illegal population, I have no idea, but he certainly put himself in that position when he stepped up to be their mouthpiece during that time. I think his statements are a big reason why people have the impression we do and because no one spoke out in rebuttal.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:28 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,176,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Annie View Post
Actually ghost, it was all over our local news when Elias Bermudez – Outspoken illegal alien supporter in a position of power, stated publicly during the protest rallies that most illegal Mexicans in this country have no desire to become citizens but are just here to make money to send home to their families in Mexico. Maybe he wouldn't be the chosen spokesperson of the illegal population, I have no idea, but he certainly put himself in that position when he stepped up to be their mouthpiece during that time. I think his statements are a big reason why people have the impression we do and because no one spoke out in rebuttal.
Speaking of Bermudez; he seems to be awfully quiet as of late-----methinks he shot off his mouth one too many times.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Speaking of Bermudez; he seems to be awfully quiet as of late-----methinks he shot off his mouth one too many times.
I've noticed that too. I wonder....

Old 11-20-2007, 12:42 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,374,683 times
Quote:
doing it legally costs too much. theyre going to cross illegally because of this. your solution is a failure. congratulations.
If they can afford up to $5000 to pay a coyote to bring them across the border, then guess what, THEY CAN AFFORD TO BECOME CITIZENS LEGALLY! Fact is, why would they wait in line and do it right when our government, crooked business owners and some of our asinine citizens allow and in some ways encourage their activity? If they were jailed, unable to get a job and unable to use social services, more would be attempting to earn citizenship just like those from other countries who don't have the convenience of walking arcoss the border. Your proposal to grant amnesty and allow an unlimited number of immigrants under your "fast and free" immigration policy would not only be a failure, but the end of America as AMERICANS know it. That would be endorcing "Estados Unidos de Mexicanos". Congratulations.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:20 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,683,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
If they can afford up to $5000 to pay a coyote to bring them across the border, then guess what, THEY CAN AFFORD TO BECOME CITIZENS LEGALLY!
$5000 is a lot of money down in Mexico. If they have that much money they probably don't need to immigrate to the US at all. We constantly hear they need to sneak across the border to be able to feed their families. But I bet a whole lot of people can eat for a heck of a long time for $5000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration