Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 07:26 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,467,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Like the rest of us on this thread; I have no problem with legal immigration------read that us as a country have to slow it down from time to time then 'open things up' as needed.
Slow it down and open things up? Nice coded message. Those words prove that the system by it's very nature is racist. The Chinese Exclusion Act and the quota system that existed until the 1960's kept a predominantly white society. Don't even get started with the migration restrictions from the Philippines in the early 20th century when it was a territory!

I'd like a valve to slow down migration into Texas, especially with the housing scandal in California causing the invasion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 08:01 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,756,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Slow it down and open things up? Nice coded message. Those words prove that the system by it's very nature is racist. The Chinese Exclusion Act and the quota system that existed until the 1960's kept a predominantly white society. Don't even get started with the migration restrictions from the Philippines in the early 20th century when it was a territory!

I'd like a valve to slow down migration into Texas, especially with the housing scandal in California causing the invasion.
Hold up there. Knowing AZ as I do, I can assure that he is not racist. You are deriving meaning from his post which he did not intend, perhaps it is a meaning you were hoping to find. Nearly all of us on this board who are against illegal immigration believe that the U.S. should slow or halt all migration into this country until we get a handle on the mess that has been created by a sloppy immigration system and immensely porous borders.

Opening the immigration system "as needed" in no way suggests that immigration will be restricted from any certain geographical areas. It only means that once we are able to control all immigration into this country, then we would be capable of accepting immigrants once more.

I get so tired of folks who spy racism under every little rock, nook and cranny.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:29 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
I oppose all immigration at this point. In just a little over 50 years we've doubled our nations population and resources are spread just too thin. If immigration keep up at this pace we will double our population again in much less time. Do we really need 600 plus million people here by 2050?
Of course we should! And some posters on this board thing we should "downtrend" our lifestyles and expectations of "first world living" to allow an infinite supply of people to come live here.

Such people would NEVER allow a second family to move in to their own homes for "humanitarian" purposes however, despite the fact that even if they have a one bedroom apartment, that "extra" family would be happy sleeping on the floor of the living room rather than out on the streets.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:58 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,168,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post

KerrTown:

Now that you brought it up: I was thinking in terms of White people-----------of any ethnicity back in 1920.

It was YOU who inferred that I was racist!

Old 11-27-2007, 10:07 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,247,531 times
Let's drop this who is a what, or the thread will be closed

Old 11-27-2007, 12:47 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,346,043 times
I'm against all immigration for NOW. Always against all illegal immigration.

We need a moratorium on immigration so that we can stabilize our population and assimilate those who are not yet assimilated.

I, personally, do not want to live in a place like India or China. I think our population should never have gone beyond 200million.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:09 PM

1,511 posts, read 979,702 times
its interesting.

those who are already in fortunate positions tend to take issue with immigration, political correctness, and think that reality is harsh and we should deal with it.

anybody here consider themselves in a position that is worse than the average immigrant, that still holds these beliefs true?

Old 11-27-2007, 01:13 PM

902 posts, read 719,623 times
I am sure that the people who would like to be able to have jobs at any that the illegals have taken would take issue with anything you say Ghost. And please don't tell me that illegals don't steal American jobs and then depress the wages so nobody can live on them.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:15 PM

1,511 posts, read 979,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark-Baby View Post
I am sure that the people who would like to be able to have jobs at any that the illegals have taken would take issue with anything you say Ghost. And please don't tell me that illegals don't steal American jobs and then depress the wages so nobody can live on them.
that doesnt answer my question at all.

but to respond to your post, illegals dont steal jobs. they take jobs that our employers offer them. if anyone is to blame, its the employer. our stagnant unemployment rate through the years shows that there are jobs available regardless. you just might have to look harder to find one that suits you.

but again, your job woes are predominantly the fault of the employer, who actually has control of laying you off and hiring a substitute for whatever wage they want to pay. blame the employer.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:58 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,155,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
that doesnt answer my question at all.

but to respond to your post, illegals dont steal jobs. they take jobs that our employers offer them. if anyone is to blame, its the employer. our stagnant unemployment rate through the years shows that there are jobs available regardless. you just might have to look harder to find one that suits you.

but again, your job woes are predominantly the fault of the employer, who actually has control of laying you off and hiring a substitute for whatever wage they want to pay. blame the employer.
A gross oversimplification. Illegals drive down wages by undercutting law-abiding Americans with concomitant responsibilities like taxes and health insurance. If there weren't illegals here in the first place, we wouldn't be able to point the finger at employers because we wouldn't have this MASSIVE black market for employees that the illegals provide. That's all it is...a black market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration