Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 10:52 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,224,933 times

Advertisements

THE SPEAKER was discussing the human face of illegal immigration. "People are continuing dying in the Sonoran desert, and it's just a very sad thing to see," he said. "One 3-year-old baby died, a 16-year-old girl with a rosary in her hand. There's a side of this that grieves me terribly. These are God's children. They're not from another planet, and the whole thing . . . frankly, this whole issue saddens me a great deal."

These statements were moving, but they would not have been especially remarkable except for the fact that the person speaking is a presidential candidate -- a Republican presidential candidate, in fact -- at a time when the campaign has taken a particularly toxic tone when it comes to the issue of immigration. In a meeting with Post editors and reporters the other day, Arizona Sen. John McCain described the toll that he believes his championing of comprehensive immigration reform took on his campaign. "It was the issue of immigration that hurt my campaign," he said. "I have not encountered a domestic issue that has provoked the emotional response that this issue does with a lot of Americans."

washingtonpost.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 11:00 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,679,105 times
This is no surprise. John McCain's very pro illegal alien, and he's supported illegal aliens for quite a while. Heck, looking at his voting record he could probably change parties and get reelected as a democrat.

But perhaps the best way to protect the children dying in the desert is to prosecute the mothers and fathers for reckless endangerment of their children. They violate our border laws, then recklessly endanger their own children. And then that becomes just the tip of the iceberg.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:10 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,451,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
This is no surprise. John McCain's very pro illegal alien, and he's supported illegal aliens for quite a while. Heck, looking at his voting record he could probably change parties and get reelected as a democrat.

But perhaps the best way to protect the children dying in the desert is to prosecute the mothers and fathers for reckless endangerment of their children. They violate our border laws, then recklessly endanger their own children. And then that becomes just the tip of the iceberg.
I think so too.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:14 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,451,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
THE SPEAKER was discussing the human face of illegal immigration. "People are continuing dying in the Sonoran desert, and it's just a very sad thing to see," he said. "One 3-year-old baby died, a 16-year-old girl with a rosary in her hand. There's a side of this that grieves me terribly. These are God's children. They're not from another planet, and the whole thing . . . frankly, this whole issue saddens me a great deal."

These statements were moving, but they would not have been especially remarkable except for the fact that the person speaking is a presidential candidate -- a Republican presidential candidate, in fact -- at a time when the campaign has taken a particularly toxic tone when it comes to the issue of immigration. In a meeting with Post editors and reporters the other day, Arizona Sen. John McCain described the toll that he believes his championing of comprehensive immigration reform took on his campaign. "It was the issue of immigration that hurt my campaign," he said. "I have not encountered a domestic issue that has provoked the emotional response that this issue does with a lot of Americans."

washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines
Yes this is a terrible thing but they are still breaking the law, they are still coming here and taking from the American people.
We have to stop this on our side because the Mexican Gov is going to do nothing but promote this. We take away the jobs and things here for them and it will stop allot of it.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:50 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
I agree with Hawkeye48 and everyone else here.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:39 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,509,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post

You've got that right. If they knew they would be held accountable this would all stop. As far as McCain goes, he was in with Kennedy on that horrible "amnesty" bill last summer. Guiliani is soft on illegals as well and Huckabee is too. The only top runner in the Republicians that is really against illegals is Thompson. I'm not sure about Romney, he says he's tough on it but I'm not to confident on that. The other really good GOP guys on illegals are Hunter and Tancredo but they aren't electable. None of the Democrats will do a thing about the situation. I say we need Fred Thompson. We need some hard nose leadership on this and quick.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:49 AM

The editorial discussion point really was about decency in the discussion of immigration:

Decency on Immigration
"Apart from John McCain, it's hard to find that quality in the Republican presidential contest."

Old 11-26-2007, 08:03 AM

902 posts, read 718,532 times
I think that the people of this country are the most decent toward illegals than any olther country. Just look at how Mexico treats illegals and then they have the nerve to tell us how to treat their people who come here illegally. That is wrong and illegals are illegal and law breakers and are not the good immigrants that everyone sats they are.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark-Baby View Post
I think that the people of this country are the most decent toward illegals than any olther country. Just look at how Mexico treats illegals and then they have the nerve to tell us how to treat their people who come here illegally. That is wrong and illegals are illegal and law breakers and are not the good immigrants that everyone sats they are.
How does this relate to the Republican Party discussions of the issue?

Old 11-26-2007, 08:12 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,479,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
The editorial discussion point really was about decency in the discussion of immigration:

Decency on Immigration
"Apart from John McCain, it's hard to find that quality in the Republican presidential contest."
So decency= open borders, amnesty and all that? And decent for who? McCain never seems to get around to boo hoo-ing for the US citizens whose lives are destroyed by illegal aliens. This guy could just as easily discuss the college students who were shot execution style by illegal immigrants a few months ago. You will never hear him mention anything like that.
Nor will McCain ever support building an effective fence, which would keep the illegal aliens out of the desert in the first place.
I am proud as hell to support the most 'indecent' candidate of all. And if that makes me indecent, that bothers me not one iota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration