Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 06:19 PM

87 posts, read 115,957 times

Advertisements

When speaking of illegal immigrants I think most people think of Mexican families sneaking into the U.S. (Can I say Mexican without insulting anyone ? Just an example, could be any nationality.) How come there is not an office at the border where someone wanting to enter the U.S. in hopes of making a better life for themselves and family can complete the required papers enter and be legal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 08:23 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2f42 View Post
When speaking of illegal immigrants I think most people think of Mexican families sneaking into the U.S. (Can I say Mexican without insulting anyone ? Just an example, could be any nationality.) How come there is not an office at the border where someone wanting to enter the U.S. in hopes of making a better life for themselves and family can complete the required papers enter and be legal
Because the US needs to control who it lets in or not. Mexico: it has nothing to say about how WE do things in the US.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:34 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
That would be a Embassy.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:18 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,015,823 times
Quote:
Would you let just anyone in your house that wanted to enter. The paper works starts a long time before they get to the border and "knock" on the door to be let in.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:16 AM

62,965 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Addressing the title of this topic, no it is not illegal to come to this country but there is a process to follow to come legally and it doesn't start at the ports of entry on our border nor should it. Imagine the lineup there would be and having to check all of these people's backgrounds at the border? We have annual quotas for legal immigration for good reasons unless the OP thinks that we should just let in unlimited numbers from all over the world. Please use some common sense here.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:59 AM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
What makes Mexicans so important? What about all of the other people that want to come here from Countries that can't walk in?

Old 02-03-2014, 07:00 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Yikes, what a simplistic view.

The goals of immigration control are many, including:

1) Keep out criminals and health risks;
2) Make sure we don't let people in who will simply use public assistance;
3) Ensure that people ALREADY HERE can find employment;
4) Orderly population growth control and environmental/resource protection.

I'm sure half the world would move to our borders if they could. Tell us how importing millions of poor people HELPS the United States?

The statute of liberty is a symbol of freedom. The poem on the bottom was written in a time when there was literally zero public assistance. People were sent on their way and told, "good luck!" We don't live in those times anymore, and I at least do not want to go back just so people can "feel good" about letting anyone in who wants to come.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:13 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Why is it illegal to come to this country ?

Way back when, didn't everyone come from somewhere else except the American Indians/Native Indians. I was taught the Statue of Liberty was a welcoming symbol. If someone wants to come to this country didn't they only need to give their names.
Unless you're really stupid you already know it's not illegal. There are many legal avenues for people to follow to emigrate to the United States.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:17 AM

62,965 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Even the so-called native Indians were not native to this country unless one thinks they sprouted up out of the ground like corn. They came here across the Bering Strait.

The poem on the Statue of Liberty is to welcome legal immigrants not illegal ones. It says to come through the Golden Door not sneak in the back door. As for the early European immigrants there was more to it than just giving their names. Many were turned away. Doesn't matter anyway our immigration laws today reflect our needs today and we are no longer a wide open frontier with plentiful jobs and resources and our population has grown to nearly 320 million. Laws have to change with the times.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:23 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,593,562 times
Question : Did Christopher Colombus show any passport when he entered the Americas ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration