Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 02:32 PM

186 posts, read 335,395 times

Advertisements

Opinion: Tancredo's anti-immigrant credo gaining -- Newsday.com (broken link)

It's now clear who will be nominated for president next year: Eliot Spitzer and Tom Tancredo. OK, I exaggerate a bit. But please hear me out.

Neither New York's Democratic governor, who is not seeking the presidency, nor Colorado's Republican congressman, who is, will end up on a major-party 2008 ballot. But their differing ideas on immigration are certain to get a thorough election-year airing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 07:30 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,676,051 times
Tancredo would be a great president. Unfortunately, I don't think he's going to get the nomination.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:23 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Tancredo is so full of hate that it's ridiculous. It's one thing to be strong on border control and security. I completely respect that. It's a complete other thing to have no policy or opinions other than hating immigrants. Know Nothing Party '08. He lost every ounce of respect when he tried to pull Spanish books off the Denver Public Library's shelves. I guess you can't be a student studying Spanish in this country without aiding and abetting those evil illegals!

Old 12-03-2007, 10:46 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,676,051 times
Actually Tancredo is a solid pro-life, pro-gun, small government republican who has well documented positions on all the issues. Along with a voting record to go along with it.

Tancredo for President - Official Campaign Site (broken link)

I've listened to many of his speeches and have followed his career since he got into office almost 9 years ago, and I've never heard him speak in a hateful manner.

I know many illegal alien supporters that like to call him a racist, simply because he favors protecting America and our borders, but nothing could be further from the truth. It's just a cheap liberal ploy. Securing our borders and clearing out the illegals would open up many entry level jobs for poorer Americans. Many of which are minorities.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:09 AM

24 posts, read 85,878 times
Tom Tancredo would make a great president. I have personally seen the man speak. He is the only candidate satisfactorily tackling immigration. All the rest side step the issue to varying degrees.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:45 AM

186 posts, read 335,395 times
He would be the best president since lincoln.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:47 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Tancredo is so full of hate that it's ridiculous. It's one thing to be strong on border control and security. I completely respect that. It's a complete other thing to have no policy or opinions other than hating immigrants. Know Nothing Party '08. He lost every ounce of respect when he tried to pull Spanish books off the Denver Public Library's shelves. I guess you can't be a student studying Spanish in this country without aiding and abetting those evil illegals!
I imagine that the tax-payers of Denver don't want to pay for those books. We're constantly pandering to Spanish-speaking people whether it's with bilingual education, Spanish ballots (ridiculous - you're supposed to speak English to be a citizen and able to vote), Spanish books in libraries, etc. Why do we pander ONLY to hispanics, and not the other immigrants (LEGAL, that is) who are here?

Old 12-04-2007, 07:50 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,507,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
I know many illegal alien supporters that like to call him a racist, simply because he favors protecting America and our borders, but nothing could be further from the truth. It's just a cheap liberal ploy. Securing our borders and clearing out the illegals would open up many entry level jobs for poorer Americans. Many of which are minorities.
You are absolutely right Hawkeye. The man is not hateful. Anyone that stands up and "says it like it is" is always going to be called hateful or racist by some group that mistakenly believes they are "do gooders". I've heard many hateful and racist remarks in my lifetime and believe me they did not come from this man. We have got to stop tip toeing around political correctness and tackle this matter head on, to do so is not racist or hateful, it's smart and the right thing to do to protect ourselves and our country.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:08 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,747,161 times
I like Tom Tancredo. I've met him. He's a great guy.

One thing about him though that will keep the majority of voters at bay, will be his anti-abortion stance. I didn't get to talk to him about anything other than the border, however, if he is rigidly anti-abortion and would seek legislature to overturn Roe v. Wade, he would never be elected. The majority of Americans, while they may find abortion personally distasteful, will not go back to the days of back alley abortions. The American majority believes that it is the woman's right to choose whether or not to go through with an unwanted or unplanned pregnancy.

Plus, unfortunately, he is underfunded because he is not the "poster boy" for the Republican party.

I'm not thrilled with any of the front running choices this year, although I would vote for Duncan Hunter in a flat second.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:10 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,861,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
Tancredo would be a great president. Unfortunately, I don't think he's going to get the nomination.
Totally agreed, on both counts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration