Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 05:47 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,234,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
Just because you make something up ... as in trying to convince others that your theory is fact ... doesn't change the fact that amensty has not been proposed. Sounds to me as if you haven't read the various proposals.
Amnesty - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
seems to fit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 06:03 PM

22,481 posts, read 12,018,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
Just because you make something up ... as in trying to convince others that your theory is fact ... doesn't change the fact that amensty has not been proposed. Sounds to me as if you haven't read the various proposals.
Anything that allows illegal aliens to stay in this country is amnesty. It would be one thing if they were all expelled and told that if they want to return, they have to apply to come here legally. However, this so-called nightmare of an "immigration reform" bill allows them to stay here. It also forgives ID theft, DUI (under this horrible bill, illegals can have up to 2 DUIs and be allowed to stay), and tax evasion. So, yes, it is amnesty. You can put lipstick on a pig but it is still a pig.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:36 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,916,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
What's more dangerous to the GOP long term? The 10 or 11 million illegals who COULD gain citizenship after a wait of 10 or 12 or 15 years plus being willing to pay fines and penalties and learn English and whatever other roadblocks that could be negotiated with the Democrats, in exchange for concessions such as e-verify, prison sentences for employers who knowingly and repeatedly hire aliens and/or enhanced border security;

Or is it the 50,000 Hispanics reaching voting age each MONTH.

That's 600,000 new voters a year or 2.4 million with every 4 year presidential election cycle. My point is that it's difficult to get young legal Hispanics to listen to your message when as Marco Rubio said, "you're trying to deport their grandmother" and in the long run, not being able to successfully compete for those legal new voters is far more dangerous to your cause.

The demographics of this country have irrevocably changed. Mayberry America isn't coming back. The situation with Hispanics and their effect on politics reminds me of the old Fram oil filter commercial.

"Pay me now, or pay me later."
Uh; I ain't scared of offending a group of people if their "tribal loyalty" to LatAm means more than being an American. There ain't enough of them to do boo and even their birthrate is falling. So; lets' get hopping on hard core deportations IF the fools in DC will ever "man up" and do the right thing.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:37 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,916,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Anything that allows illegal aliens to stay in this country is amnesty. It would be one thing if they were all expelled and told that if they want to return, they have to apply to come here legally. However, this so-called nightmare of an "immigration reform" bill allows them to stay here. It also forgives ID theft, DUI (under this horrible bill, illegals can have up to 2 DUIs and be allowed to stay), and tax evasion. So, yes, it is amnesty. You can put lipstick on a pig but it is still a pig.
Agreed.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; I ain't scared of offending a group of people if their "tribal loyalty" to LatAm means more than being an American. There ain't enough of them to do boo and even their birthrate is falling. So; lets' get hopping on hard core deportations IF the fools in DC will ever "man up" and do the right thing.
I agree! If I could rep you again, I would

Old 04-30-2014, 07:52 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,747,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Amen!

Old 04-30-2014, 07:56 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,301,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why are you making this a white vs Hispanic issue? As I pointed out there are 266 million non-Hispanics in this country vs only 50 million Hispanics and out of those 266 million whites, blacks, Asians and other Americans make up that number. Only 10 million Hispanics voted in the last election. This country is a melting pot of Americans of all races and ethnic groups so no there is no big change in that respect. It is illegal immigration that is changing the face of this country and that is neither natural nor lawful.
Because I was talking about the political ramifications of how the illegal immigration issue is handled. The minority vote will continue to rise, and white vote continue to fall with every election until at some point in the future (probably 2040 or 2050) whites will become a plurality rather than a majority in this country. That's already a certainty. It has nothing to do with illegal immigration, but rather the growth rates of ethnic groups in the country now. The political question is what effect forever holding a hard line on immigration will have on Hispanic voting patterns in the future.

So essentially what you are saying is that the GOP has to thumb their noses at our immigration laws in order to gain the Hispanic vote? There is something wrong with this picture, isn't there? Aren't Americans of all ethnic groups and races obligated to honor our laws and not think along ethnic tribal lines when it comes to those laws? Minorities including Hispanics have a track record of voting Democrat anyway and that would not change much even if the GOP caved into amnesty. If you're convinced that the GOP can never win Hispanic voters, then you are conceding defeat in the future, because as the percentages of minority voters increases, it will become impossible to win with virtually only white voters. The pros in the party know that now.They aren't just pushing for immigration reform for cheap labor for big employers. They know that in the long run the current path the party is on is a political loser. (see Lindsay Graham's comments about the party being on a "demographic death spiral.")

Why should illegals be legalized via an amnesty and put on a path to citizenship when they violated our immigration laws? We have millions of Americans out of work that need the jobs they are holding. It negates our reasonable legal immigration quotas and laws. It sends a signal that we will reward lawbreakers and that our borders don't mean anything. We should be thinking about what is best for this country as a whole not negating our laws for some special interest group.
I understand your position. The question is how the GOP will be able to finesse the issue, with their base obstinate in its opposition to anything that smacks of amnesty while simultaneously desperately needing to detoxify their relationship with Hispanics to have a chance at winning in presidential elections now, and especially in the future.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:14 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,873,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
What's more dangerous to the GOP long term? The 10 or 11 million illegals who COULD gain citizenship after a wait of 10 or 12 or 15 years plus being willing to pay fines and penalties and learn English and whatever other roadblocks that could be negotiated with the Democrats, in exchange for concessions such as e-verify, prison sentences for employers who knowingly and repeatedly hire aliens and/or enhanced border security;

Or is it the 50,000 Hispanics reaching voting age each MONTH.

That's 600,000 new voters a year or 2.4 million with every 4 year presidential election cycle. My point is that it's difficult to get young legal Hispanics to listen to your message when as Marco Rubio said, "you're trying to deport their grandmother" and in the long run, not being able to successfully compete for those legal new voters is far more dangerous to your cause.

The demographics of this country have irrevocably changed. Mayberry America isn't coming back. The situation with Hispanics and their effect on politics reminds me of the old Fram oil filter commercial.

"Pay me now, or pay me later."
So What!!!

If we listen to your reasoning we might as well surrender and hoist up the flag of Illegal invading Mexicans?

Let these parasitic LOSERS fix their own damn corrupt country instead of breaking US laws and coming here for hand outs.

And YES that TRAITOR Obama SHOULD be impeached!

Old 04-30-2014, 08:25 PM

47 posts, read 120,981 times
It looks like Mexicans are taking back California, Texas and the rest of the Southwest without even firing one shot.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:16 PM

I understand your position. The question is how the GOP will be able to finesse the issue, with their base obstinate in its opposition to anything that smacks of amnesty while simultaneously desperately needing to detoxify their relationship with Hispanics to have a chance at winning in presidential elections now, and especially in the future.

-------------------

^You see, it isn't just Hispanic illegals who will benefit should amnesty happen. In the past, ICE deported illegal aliens back to 189 different countries. 189 different countries covers every race, religion and ethnicity. Why should either party be pandering to those who are here illegally?

Also, why do you think that there is a need for republicans "to detoxify their relationship with Hispanics"? I'm half-Hispanic, and by republicans supporting amnesty, it certainly doesn't make me a fan. Nor am I a fan of democrats for the same reason. Which ever party has the courage to stand up and stay NO to amnesty, that's the party that will get my support.

Hispanics are not a monolith that votes and thinks alike. For example, Cubans tend to vote republican.

Besides, when polled, Hispanic-Americans rate the economy as their #1 concern with immigration issues coming in at either #5 or #6.

I, for one, find it insulting that both parties think that in order to get my vote, they need to promise amnesty for illegal aliens. I do not support law breakers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration