Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 04:15 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,244,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
You're making things up. Please show us some verification for your claim.
Your words. Unedited.
While you may wish to be unprotected in a time of crisis
(based upon the thread topic)
This indicates that without illegals we will be unprotected.
Support Army Recruiting
quota's are met indicating absolutely no need for illegals to fill any gaps.
Military prepares for scant recruiting year.
Services prepare for scant recruiting year | Army Times | armytimes.com
Obviously no need for mercenaries.
Once again the military indicates no need to fill its ranks with mercenaries (illegals) to maintain mission readiness.
http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=119515
No you didn't indicate what I allegedly made up so I have to guess.
Have you served in combat? Well I have. I wouldn't want a mercenary watching my back. I wouldn't want to depend on a mercenary to do the right thing. I don't care where they come from, a merc is loyal to themselves first last and always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 05:54 PM

63,020 posts, read 29,229,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Your words. Unedited.
(based upon the thread topic)
This indicates that without illegals we will be unprotected.
Support Army Recruiting
quota's are met indicating absolutely no need for illegals to fill any gaps.
Military prepares for scant recruiting year.
Services prepare for scant recruiting year | Army Times | armytimes.com
Obviously no need for mercenaries.
Once again the military indicates no need to fill its ranks with mercenaries (illegals) to maintain mission readiness.
http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=119515
Have you served in combat? Well I have. I wouldn't want a mercenary watching my back. I wouldn't want to depend on a mercenary to do the right thing. I don't care where they come from, a merc is loyal to themselves first last and always.
Thanks for posting the above links, tinman. As you know I also served in the Navy during the Viet Nam war and I feel just as you do about mercenaries in our military and as indicated above we don't need them anyway.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Thanks for posting the above links, tinman. As you know I also served in the Navy during the Viet Nam war and I feel just as you do about mercenaries in our military and as indicated above we don't need them anyway.
Well some made a charge that I was making things up without stating what I allegedly made up. As you know I tend to be fairly accurate in my posts and can back them up. Unlike some who believe that some how our national defense will collapse without using illegals.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:22 AM

741 posts, read 765,192 times
Quote:
What I suggested you made up was this comment of yours:

Quote:
I love how some make it sound as if without illegals joining the military
we will be left unprotected.
Show me where "some" have made it sound that way.

Quote:
I wouldn't want a mercenary watching my back. I wouldn't want to
depend on a mercenary to do the right thing. I don't care where they come from,
a merc is loyal to themselves first last and always.
There you go again, making things up. "mercenary" When did you dream that one up?

Old 06-02-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:

There you go again, making things up. "mercenary" When did you dream that one up?
If illegal aliens are allowed to join our military in exchange for a green card or some other form of legalization isn't that akin to a mercenary situation?

Old 06-02-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If illegal aliens are allowed to join our military in exchange for a green card or some other form of legalization isn't that akin to a mercenary situation?
It is exactly like a mercenary.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:

I have already posted your quote in regard to some make it sound as if we will be unprotected unless illegals are allowed to serve. But one more time.
Post number 4 on this thread.
You infer that we need illegals and without them we will be unprotected. I submit that we do not need illegals.The military hasn't had a problem making recruitment quotas.
Mercenary:
A mercenary[1] is a person who takes part in an armed conflict, who is not a national or a party to the conflict and is "motivated to take part in the hostilities by the desire for private gain."[2][3] from wikipedia
Pretty much sums up someone who enlists for the purpose of gaining a green card. Note the private gain, who is not a national....

Last edited by tinman01; 06-02-2014 at 03:28 PM..

Old 06-02-2014, 05:24 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,310,025 times
Quote:
It is exactly like a mercenary.
For many of the dreamers, this is the only country they've ever know. We have had cases of non-citizens fighting for and in some cases dying for America. A few years ago there was a young man who was born in Guatemala, grew up here, graduated from high school and who enlisted and was killed in action in Iraq. He was posthumously granted citizenship by an act of Congress, one of about 100 vets who died in Iraq were posthumously granted citizenship. Whether they all lived here legally, or whether new barriers to their recruitment have subsequently been added, I don't know.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
For many of the dreamers, this is the only country they've ever know. We have had cases of non-citizens fighting for and in some cases dying for America. A few years ago there was a young man who was born in Guatemala, grew up here, graduated from high school and who enlisted and was killed in action in Iraq. He was posthumously granted citizenship by an act of Congress, one of about 100 vets who died in Iraq were posthumously granted citizenship. Whether they all lived here legally, or whether new barriers to their recruitment have subsequently been added, I don't know.
Illegal aliens cannot join our military presently nor should they be able to, IMO.

I doubt that for most "dreamers" that this is the only country they've ever known. It is more likely that they weren't brought here as infants. They are taught the language and culture of their homelands by their parents.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
For many or for most? The fact remains that we have absolutely no need to recruit from the ranks of illegals.
Assuming what you say is even partially accurate, which is certainly debatable. Why would we seek to reward illegal behavior? I can find instances where murderers did a good deed, that doesn't change the fact that they were a murderer.
If an illegal enlisted then he committed document fraud to do so. This indicates a continued willingness to be a criminal. It's been illegal for the military to recruit illegals for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration