Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 04:05 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,311,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
No one ever needed illegals, DAMN RIGHT!! I am recruiting all American Caucasian dishwashers, wages start at $6.25/hr. Please, email me for a job application.
Racist post once again I see.

Why do they have to be caucasian?

As long as they are here LEGALLY, personally, and unlike you, I don't care what their race or ethnic background is.

Shame on you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 04:07 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,684,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
They say that the public is more open to immigration, both legal and illegal, during times of economic booms but now that unemployment is going up and the economy is going down, many people will come to the realization that we do not need many new immigrants in America.

As the unemployment rate goes up, I can see the stories in the media of Americans losing their jobs while foreign labor keeps coming into our country taking the few jobs left at very low wages. I expect a growing backlash against all types of immigrants as the economy continues to crash.

Do you expect the growing unemployment will cause America to be even more anti immigrant?

Bloomberg.com: Worldwide
Interesting question. No, I don't think an increased unemployment rate will cause America to become more anti-immigrant, unless of course, the economy takes a very serious downturn. In fact, I think very few Americans are anti-immigrant. Most Americans are very pro-immigration.

We have seen Americans become a bit more anti-illegal alien though.

With the economy tightening up, many businesses could be tempted to use illegal labor to compensate for decreased business and lower profits.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:43 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,186,285 times
Quote:
No one ever needed illegals, DAMN RIGHT!! I am recruiting all American Caucasian dishwashers, wages start at $6.25/hr. Please, email me for a job application.
LMAO!

Anymore; I simply smile at your comments, there.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:11 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,806,156 times
Quote:

I hope you're just kidding around -- why not hire some kid from the inner city who might not be lily white but would like a chance at life? Or some kid from the barrio that happens to be American but is in a group with high youth unemployment (hispanic-American)?

And if you really can't find any kind of American -- not young, not old, not homeless, not inner city, not college-student, etc --- then why don't you sponsor someone to come to this country legally?

What special advantage does it give you to bring in truck loads of dirt cheap and desperate workers illegally?

Old 01-04-2008, 08:26 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,186,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I hope you're just kidding around -- why not hire some kid from the inner city who might not be lily white but would like a chance at life? Or some kid from the barrio that happens to be American but is in a group with high youth unemployment (hispanic-American)?

And if you really can't find any kind of American -- not young, not old, not homeless, not inner city, not college-student, etc --- then why don't you sponsor someone to come to this country legally?

What special advantage does it give you to bring in truck loads of dirt cheap and desperate workers illegally?
The pro illegal crowd are basically anti American.......and, they are drowning in the waters of public opinion hence their insulting/childish comments

Old 01-04-2008, 08:36 PM

83 posts, read 271,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
The pro illegal crowd are basically anti American.......and, they are drowning in the waters of public opinion hence their insulting/childish comments
The argument you quoted wasn't childish, it was a pretty well substantiated, sophisticated argument, actually...
As opposed to some of the essentially xenophobic anti-illegal arguments.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:36 PM

751 posts, read 1,182,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I don't see "advantages" but the reality is that, there are a lot of jobs that Americans simply will not do and that is undeniable. There are illegal immigrants here in this country that work 12-13 hrs/day washing dishes. Reality is, their US born kids will not do those kind of jobs and I think that is one of the reasons why you see relatively high levels of crime and delinquency among first generation US born Hispanic Americans.

I remember watching a movie that dealt with this issue, Mom and Dad illegal, working 12-13 hrs/day washing dishes. One of their kids was murdered during a drive by shooting, the other was was in jail, basically all their kids became criminals. I am sure their kids would NEVER wash dishes for living like their parents did. Huge cultural-generational gap there

Old 01-04-2008, 08:45 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,820,547 times
Quote:
i know a lot of kids down in Hampton and Newport News, VA who'd be happy to work for $6.25 an hour. Maybe that would bring down the juvenile crime rate there. Oops an illegal already filled that position for $5.50 an hour. Oh well. Back to the mean streets for them kids.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:53 PM

206 posts, read 411,103 times
The labor issue isn't about dishwashers making 6 dollars an hour; it's about illegal alien plumbers and construction workers making $3000+ monthly under the table by displacing Americans who were actually trained to do those jobs; it's about decent manufacturing jobs that are gone because companies don't want to pay benefits or comply with OSHA. It's about the fact that illegal labor undercuts and depresses wages overall, while our tax dollars subsidize the an illegal workforce by making up for the benefits not provided by greedy businesses.

Let's stop repeating the same inane cliches about "jobs Americans won't do" or pretend that illegals all have the lowest paying jobs, especially in this type of economy.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:35 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,886,738 times
A f'n men

I will add however that if you want to run a restaraunt in the US you should have to pay the rate that gets Americans to want to work for you. If you have to pay $12 an hour for a dishwasher you might want to bump it up to 15 with some medical insurance and get an American (the most productive worker on the planet) to do the job with a smile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration