Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2014, 06:28 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,936,718 times

Advertisements

"People in offices in northern Europe, where they do not have this problem, give us lessons in humanitarianism," said Spain's Interior Minister Jorge Fernandez Diaz.

"Let them give me their address and we'll send these immigrants to them, if they promise to look after them and give them a job."

International 'tragedy' on Europe's brutal African borders

I feel your pain, Mr Diaz. I really do.

Let the illegal alien fans think about this and, try to scream "racism". Especially la raza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 12:21 PM

7,445 posts, read 7,038,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
"People in offices in northern Europe, where they do not have this problem, give us lessons in humanitarianism," said Spain's Interior Minister Jorge Fernandez Diaz.

"Let them give me their address and we'll send these immigrants to them, if they promise to look after them and give them a job."

Let the illegal alien fans think about this and, try to scream "racism". Especially la raza.
Wow. I guess all in all, I'd take our illegal immigration problems over Europe - but all western countries should try to stand against mass illegal immigration - or they will cease to be western.

Old 12-25-2014, 11:49 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,279,475 times
The Spanish should've closed shop on those two cities years ago. Trying to maintain Spanish possessions on the African continent will eventually prove futile anyway. It's only a matter of time. And there's no doubt in my mind that Morocco is facilitating the illegals every chance they get. The Spanish have basically admitted that maintaining those cities are draining badly needed resources that they need elsewhere.

The funny thing is that Spain despises the British for doing the same thing in Gibraltar that they're doing in Morocco. LOL

Old 12-26-2014, 10:02 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,985,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The Spanish should've closed shop on those two cities years ago. Trying to maintain Spanish possessions on the African continent will eventually prove futile anyway. It's only a matter of time. And there's no doubt in my mind that Morocco is facilitating the illegals every chance they get. The Spanish have basically admitted that maintaining those cities are draining badly needed resources that they need elsewhere.

The funny thing is that Spain despises the British for doing the same thing in Gibraltar that they're doing in Morocco. LOL
Exept that Ceuta first belonged to the Portuguese in 1415, then chose to be part of Spain in 1580. Melilla has been a Spanish city since 1497, and people in both cities overwhelmingly consider themselves to be Spanish, the same as Falkland Islanders consider themselves to be British, not Argentinian. You could say the same thing of Greece, should they hand over their islands right off the Turkish coast to relieve their massive illegal immigration problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Wow. I guess all in all, I'd take our illegal immigration problems over Europe - but all western countries should try to stand against mass illegal immigration - or they will cease to be western.
Having a lot of illegal immigrants sucks and is not a good thing, and I want them to be rounded up and deported as well. But, one has to look at things with hindsight, almost all our illegals are Christians that are Westernized.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post

Greece is having the same problem the Spanish are. Spain and Greece, and to a lesser extent Italy, have huge problems dealing with illegal immigrants as they are the gateways to Europe, but the rest of the EU doesn't want to help fund border patrol initiatives, especially countries like the UK where they claim the majority of illegal immigrants end of finding themselves in.

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 12-26-2014 at 10:31 AM..

Old 12-26-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Exept that Ceuta first belonged to the Portuguese in 1415, then chose to be part of Spain in 1580. Melilla has been a Spanish city since 1497, and people in both cities overwhelmingly consider themselves to be Spanish, the same as Falkland Islanders consider themselves to be British, not Argentinian. You could say the same thing of Greece, should they hand over their islands right off the Turkish coast to relieve their massive illegal immigration problems? .
I'm not against Spain having those possessions, but it's not the 1400's anymore when those cities served as an anchor for further Spanish expeditions and trade into the African continent.

The whole idea of having overseas possessions are resources. I highly doubt that those cities give Spain enough of anything that makes up for the cost of maintaining them.

Obviously, the people in those people consider themselves to be Spanish because like with most colonial possessions, the Europeans flooded those territories with their own people. Culturally, it's obvious that Ceuta and Melilla are going to be Spanish even if the people weren't ethnically Spanish after 500 years.

Still, Spain is broke and has enough problems worrying about the Motherland, let alone a few Northern African cities with immigration headaches. LOL

As for the Falklands, it's preposterous that they're still a British possession. Thatcher had her hand forced by the Argentinians and i'll agree that she couldn't just let them take the islands back gangster style. But a hell of a lot of British people at the time (and even now) still find the whole affair to be ludicrous...having a war over a group of islands that aren't intrinsically British and located at the bottom of the world.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I'm not against Spain having those possessions, but it's not the 1400's anymore when those cities served as an anchor for further Spanish expeditions and trade into the African continent.

The whole idea of having overseas possessions are resources. I highly doubt that those cities give Spain enough of anything that makes up for the cost of maintaining them.

Obviously, the people in those people consider themselves to be Spanish because like with most colonial possessions, the Europeans flooded those territories with their own people. Culturally, it's obvious that Ceuta and Melilla are going to be Spanish even if the people weren't ethnically Spanish after 500 years.

Still, Spain is broke and has enough problems worrying about the Motherland, let alone a few Northern African cities with immigration headaches. LOL

As for the Falklands, it's preposterous that they're still a British possession. Thatcher had her hand forced by the Argentinians and i'll agree that she couldn't just let them take the islands back gangster style. But a hell of a lot of British people at the time (and even now) still find the whole affair to be ludicrous...having a war over a group of islands that aren't intrinsically British and located at the bottom of the world.
Yes, but no country in this entire world will sell off their land in this day and age because they are broke. Territorial integrity is the name of the game in the 21st century. I might be biased because I'm an ethnic Spaniard, but in the Alborán Sea I think Ceuta and Melilla rightfully belong to Spain, and the people choose so, just like I think Gibraltar belongs to the UK, which Spain ceded in perpetuity to the UK. Also even in my own personal case, I can't say Spain should give Ceuta and Melilla back to Morocco, while at the same time saying Puerto Rico should be returned to Spain, it was the only Spanish colonial possession that was granted provincial status similar to Ceuta and Melilla.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Yes, but no country in this entire world will sell off their land in this day and age because they are broke. Territorial integrity is the name of the game in the 21st century. I might be biased because I'm an ethnic Spaniard, but in the Alborán Sea I think Ceuta and Melilla rightfully belong to Spain, and the people choose so, just like I think Gibraltar belongs to the UK, which Spain ceded in perpetuity to the UK. Also even in my own personal case, I can't say Spain should give Ceuta and Melilla back to Morocco, while at the same time saying Puerto Rico should be returned to Spain, it was the only Spanish colonial possession that was granted provincial status similar to Ceuta and Melilla.
Hey look...as long as Spain can hold and defend those territories, have at it. They're a tremendous drain on Spain, but as you say, they probably want to maintain their territorial integrity.

I disagree however that Gibraltar rightfully belongs to Britain. I mean, sure...they can hold and defend it against Spain, but Britain has no really good reason to have territory on the Iberian Peninsula. I'm sure that it's a matter of pride for them, but i don't blame the Spanish for wanting it back.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Hey look...as long as Spain can hold and defend those territories, have at it. They're a tremendous drain on Spain, but as you say, they probably want to maintain their territorial integrity.

I disagree however that Gibraltar rightfully belongs to Britain. I mean, sure...they can hold and defend it against Spain, but Britain has no really good reason to have territory on the Iberian Peninsula. I'm sure that it's a matter of pride for them, but i don't blame the Spanish for wanting it back.
Regarding illegal immigration, I wonder what Spain's request in parliament is going to become. Looks like the Spanish police are looking for permission to shoot at the migrants, though I'm pretty sure with rubber bullets. What really amazes me is those migrants manage to amass $3700 to be transported across vast distances. $3700 in the countries where they are from is A LOT of money that they can be productive with.

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 12-26-2014 at 12:50 PM..

Old 12-26-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Regarding illegal immigration, I wonder what Spain's request in parliament is going to become. Looks like the Spanish police are looking for permission to shoot at the migrants, though I'm pretty sure with rubber bullets. What really amazes me is those migrants manage to amass $3700 to be transported across vast distances. $3700 in the countries where they are from is A LOT of money that they can play with.
People seeking a better life can do some pretty amazing things. Being from Arizona, i've heard some stories from Mexicans, Salvadoreans, Guatemalans and Hondurans that seem almost impossible, but lo and behold, they actually did these things they speak of just to get here.

In Spain's case, i don't know how they can manage a situation like that in the case of those two cities. I'm gonna keep an eye on this just to see what the ramifications are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration