Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 03:16 PM

652 posts, read 2,665,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanPatriot1 View Post
No they don't. They voted to show they wanted the border fence bill and allocated three billion dollars for it. Then in back door negotiations, in conference, they gutted the money and put in language that even removed the building of the 800 miles already signed into bill. The Democrats and Republicans are not for border security. Two handfuls maybe, but all the rest are not. Nancy Pelosi went along with Kay Bailey Hutchinson on this. This is straight out of Duncan Hunter's mouth.
sorry, I should have specified.... I mean your regular citizens. not the actual govt. they dont know what they want half the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 01:10 PM

42 posts, read 64,530 times
A common theme throughout these posts seems to be that the American people no longer feel represented by their government. I wish I could get the point across that the people of Mexico are in the same boat.
I am not asking anybody to "like" Mexicans, nor do I approve of the illegal presence of Mexicans in your country. But, considering the currently catastrophic economic situation in the US, I can't believe that your situation would be much improved by eliminating your undocumented residents.
We have to be careful what we wish for. You want Mexicans to go home, and I want Mexicans to STAY home. However, Mexico, too, is on the dangerous edge of being a failed state. If we become North America's equivalent of Somalia, no mere fence along the border is going to solve the problems of either nation.
Somebody posting here seems to be under the impression that the Mexican military has some intention of invading the US. Forget it. The militarization of Mexico has nothing to do with any imperialistic fantasies of gaining power or territory in any other nation. I live in Ciudad Juarez, under military occupation, and I assure you that the military presence is here to bring some semblance of order to Juarez; certainly not to invade El Paso.
Modern warfare and military action has become so complex that it might be seen as obsolete. The Mexican soldiers are screaming the same question that has been screamed by American soldiers since the Korean war: Will somebody please tell me who the hell the enemy is?
How can you take military action against an enemy that has no clear identity, no specific location, and who is inclined to change sides without notice?
If you run across isolated, freak incidents that give the appearance of a Mexican military presence in the US, I assure you it is a freak incident that has nothing to do with any Mexican animosity against the US. As you well know, this is a border that can be walked across or waded across or driven across without much difficulty.
I came to these forums with no interest in winning any debate. I was hoping that better-educated Americans might have some good ideas on how to deal with the real culprits of illegal immigration: The EMPLOYERS. And, probably indicating the triumph of hope over reason, I thought some of you might have some ideas on how you might make Mexico more livable for Mexicans. This would necessitate your learning something about the country that everybody seems to hate unless they're on vacation.
So far, all I've heard and read is pure knee-jerk, reactionary, ethnocentric complaining and raving. I'm the one living in the country that has notoriety for its ignorance, but you folks aren't showing me much. You condone the employment of people you've taken a notion to hate; you don't bat an eye when your government assists your major corporate entities in sending your jobs to other countries; you entertain grim fantasies of a military invasion from an impoverished country whose government is becoming irrelevant, and, your best solution is to attack Mexicans who have unstable jobs as janitors and roofers and, then, in the Stalinist tradition, you want to build a fence. (You might want to consult with East Germans or the Chinese regarding the value of "Great Walls.") These are the best ideas that the educated people of the world's most powerful nation can offer? Small wonder that your financial institutions and major corporations are failing. (have failed)
Well, I enjoy a good conversation, and I don't expect rigorous scholarship from all participants. but this is getting kinda goofy.
Among those who participate on these forums, is there anybody who can substantiate opinions and reactions with thought, logic, and a bit of knowledge? If the entire purpose of this forum is for people to vent their rage at Mexicans, whether or not they can distinguish a Mexican from a Spaniard, why not call the forum what it really is? This is not a "discussion" about illegal immigration. This is just a place where disgruntled Americans with time on their hands can attack and insult people they know nothing about.
"Where's your fence?" Your fence is around your minds, and I hope it can someday be penetrated by thought, reason, and knowledge.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:41 PM

50,480 posts, read 47,209,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPabloMagno1 View Post
A common theme throughout these posts seems to be that the American people no longer feel represented by their government. I wish I could get the point across that the people of Mexico are in the same boat.
I am not asking anybody to "like" Mexicans, nor do I approve of the illegal presence of Mexicans in your country. But, considering the currently catastrophic economic situation in the US, I can't believe that your situation would be much improved by eliminating your undocumented residents.
We have to be careful what we wish for. You want Mexicans to go home, and I want Mexicans to STAY home. However, Mexico, too, is on the dangerous edge of being a failed state. If we become North America's equivalent of Somalia, no mere fence along the border is going to solve the problems of either nation.
Somebody posting here seems to be under the impression that the Mexican military has some intention of invading the US. Forget it. The militarization of Mexico has nothing to do with any imperialistic fantasies of gaining power or territory in any other nation. I live in Ciudad Juarez, under military occupation, and I assure you that the military presence is here to bring some semblance of order to Juarez; certainly not to invade El Paso.
Modern warfare and military action has become so complex that it might be seen as obsolete. The Mexican soldiers are screaming the same question that has been screamed by American soldiers since the Korean war: Will somebody please tell me who the hell the enemy is?
How can you take military action against an enemy that has no clear identity, no specific location, and who is inclined to change sides without notice?
If you run across isolated, freak incidents that give the appearance of a Mexican military presence in the US, I assure you it is a freak incident that has nothing to do with any Mexican animosity against the US. As you well know, this is a border that can be walked across or waded across or driven across without much difficulty.
I came to these forums with no interest in winning any debate. I was hoping that better-educated Americans might have some good ideas on how to deal with the real culprits of illegal immigration: The EMPLOYERS. And, probably indicating the triumph of hope over reason, I thought some of you might have some ideas on how you might make Mexico more livable for Mexicans. This would necessitate your learning something about the country that everybody seems to hate unless they're on vacation.
So far, all I've heard and read is pure knee-jerk, reactionary, ethnocentric complaining and raving. I'm the one living in the country that has notoriety for its ignorance, but you folks aren't showing me much. You condone the employment of people you've taken a notion to hate; you don't bat an eye when your government assists your major corporate entities in sending your jobs to other countries; you entertain grim fantasies of a military invasion from an impoverished country whose government is becoming irrelevant, and, your best solution is to attack Mexicans who have unstable jobs as janitors and roofers and, then, in the Stalinist tradition, you want to build a fence. (You might want to consult with East Germans or the Chinese regarding the value of "Great Walls.") These are the best ideas that the educated people of the world's most powerful nation can offer? Small wonder that your financial institutions and major corporations are failing. (have failed)
Well, I enjoy a good conversation, and I don't expect rigorous scholarship from all participants. but this is getting kinda goofy.
Among those who participate on these forums, is there anybody who can substantiate opinions and reactions with thought, logic, and a bit of knowledge? If the entire purpose of this forum is for people to vent their rage at Mexicans, whether or not they can distinguish a Mexican from a Spaniard, why not call the forum what it really is? This is not a "discussion" about illegal immigration. This is just a place where disgruntled Americans with time on their hands can attack and insult people they know nothing about.
"Where's your fence?" Your fence is around your minds, and I hope it can someday be penetrated by thought, reason, and knowledge.
Until you realize it's not about Mexicans it's about Illegal Immigration from all Countries and their impacts on the lives of every day Americans you are just ranting about Americans.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:32 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,208,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Until you realize it's not about Mexicans it's about Illegal Immigration from all Countries and their impacts on the lives of every day Americans you are just ranting about Americans.
Mexicans make up the bulk of illegals.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:32 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,180,069 times
I read a couple of years ago that Mexican soldiers crossing into the US has happened something like 200 times in the last several years. This is why we need the National Guard on the border. When it comes to military incursions, it's not a Border Patrol problem. Some of these may have been civilians dressed as soldiers, but when their guns are returned to them, and they're released, you can bet they're soldiers. It seems to me when members of a foreign army cross the border for illegal purposes, ready to kill anyone who gets in their way, that's an armed invasion, and should be dealt with accordingly.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:33 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,246,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
I read a couple of years ago that Mexican soldiers crossing into the US has happened something like 200 times in the last several years. This is why we need the National Guard on the border. When it comes to military incursions, it's not a Border Patrol problem. Some of these may have been civilians dressed as soldiers, but when their guns are returned to them, and they're released, you can bet they're soldiers. It seems to me when members of a foreign army cross the border for illegal purposes, ready to kill anyone who gets in their way, that's an armed invasion, and should be dealt with accordingly.
Politics. Its not unlike in 1968 when Israel attacked and did their best to sink the USS Liberty. 28 sailors died many more wounded. This did not slow US aid to Israel in the least. Israel has been caught stealing our most precious secrets many times. This has not slowed our aid to Israel.
Israel ells those secrets to our worst enemies. Israel remains the #1 recipient of US foreign aid.
So after all this why would we expect our elected reps to hold Mexico accountable for their soldiers attacking our border patrol? Why would we expect our elected reps to hold illegals accountable for the many crimes they commit against US citizens?
What will change how they do business is to fire any and every Rep that talks amnesty. The one thing our elected reps truly fear is loss of power and status. Look how the Brown victory in Mass has shaken the Dems....

Old 01-22-2012, 09:19 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,208,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
I agree.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:05 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,387,426 times
We don't have military troops on the border because Washington made that law long ago. The Mexican government keeps reminding the US that if we deploy troops on the border we are breaking our own law yet no president is willing to rescind the law and no congressman Democrat, Republican, Tea Party has the cojones to present a motion for nullification of the law. So all of three Dems, Reps and TPs are a bunch of self-serving SOBs who just want the perks that they get from being in congress. These B++tards are of no use at all.

That said the Mexicans have no law like that so they are free to place regular army troops on their borders. Ask any Guatemalan or Salvadorian how Mexico's southern border is. You couldn't get a cockroach through it with a shoehorn. The Mexican army is armed and the fire on anyone trying to cross that border illegally. Go ahead and ask other Latin Americans who got her with their lives and bodies intact.

Those troops that help the drug smugglers, a hundred to one, are not there on orders from the army. They are renegades moonlighting to make some extra cash.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:45 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,853,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
...That said the Mexicans have no law like that so they are free to place regular army troops on their borders. Ask any Guatemalan or Salvadorian how Mexico's southern border is. You couldn't get a cockroach through it with a shoehorn. The Mexican army is armed and the fire on anyone trying to cross that border illegally. Go ahead and ask other Latin Americans who got her with their lives and bodies intact...
We're going to collectively come up with some better analogies...

That, and being able to tell a truth that can at least be backed up with a little data...

Old 01-22-2012, 10:54 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,387,426 times
You don't know any Guatemalans or Salvadorians? There are a lot of them in most big cities. Ask. For me their statements are enough for me. Or see the film El Norte. You have a real complex. Any time any one says anything about Mexico you lose it. Don't waste anymore of my time with that BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration