Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 06:51 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,935,476 times

Advertisements

A federal judge in South Texas on Monday temporarily blocked President Barack Obama's executive action on immigration, giving a coalition of 26 states time to pursue a lawsuit that aims to permanently stop the orders.

U.S. District Judge Andrew Hanen's decision comes after a hearing in Brownsville in January and puts on hold Obama's orders that could spare as many as five million people who are in the U.S. illegally from deportation.

Federal judge stalls Obama's executive action on immigration

Good news. Maybe the POTUS will now know that MOST most of us Americans DON'T want amnesty for illegal aliens and, want their kind deported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 07:08 AM

26,033 posts, read 22,225,100 times
Proud to say that KS is one of those states BUT KS is willing to roll out the red carpet for them when they arrive to take our jobs, Medicaid, etc. so we have a long way to go. We have an estimated 50,000 jobs that illegals are doing here and with their little anchor babies that we are supporting. So, the action has to be two part 1. no amnesty 2. haul their fannies back across the border, it can be done. We all know that if another country in the world was being invaded like this, the US would deploy the military and send all the $$$ they could to stop a takeover by a foreign invader.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:30 AM

7,445 posts, read 7,037,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
A federal judge in South Texas on Monday temporarily blocked President Barack Obama's executive action on immigration, giving a coalition of 26 states time to pursue a lawsuit that aims to permanently stop the orders.

U.S. District Judge Andrew Hanen's decision comes after a hearing in Brownsville in January and puts on hold Obama's orders that could spare as many as five million people who are in the U.S. illegally from deportation.

Federal judge stalls Obama's executive action on immigration

Good news. Maybe the POTUS will now know that MOST most of us Americans DON'T want amnesty for illegal aliens and, want their kind deported.
I'm happy for the ruling but after Justice Roberts twisted into a pretzel to uphold the individual mandate I don't holdout much hope.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:34 AM

63,089 posts, read 29,276,624 times
I hope the appeal gets shot down. I am glad to see that we have a federal judge who is standing up for the American people and ruling that Obama has overstepped his bounderies.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:29 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,973,413 times
Good! Obama himself said over and over and over again the law would not permit him to do this by executive order. Get this ruling tested in the Supremes and let Congress work together to pass a real, meaningful bill.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:41 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,190,530 times
Quote:
"The district court's decision wrongly prevents these lawful, commonsense policies from taking effect," the White House said in a statement. "The Supreme Court and Congress have made clear that the federal government can set priorities in enforcing our immigration laws — which is exactly what the President did when he announced commonsense policies to help fix our broken immigration system."
As I've said before, whenever a politician refers to his or her proposed legislation as "commonsense" my brain automatically translates it to "I don't care if you don't like this legislation. I'm not going to discuss it with you and if you disagree with it you're an idiot."

Old 02-17-2015, 11:31 AM

3,770 posts, read 6,756,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
As I've said before, whenever a politician refers to his or her proposed legislation as "commonsense" my brain automatically translates it to "I don't care if you don't like this legislation. I'm not going to discuss it with you and if you disagree with it you're an idiot."
A common sense way to deal with any problem is to prevent the problem from happening in the first place. It's the exact opposite of common sense, to encourage a problem, reward the problem and declare the problem solved.

Illegal immigration could easily be decreased by a significant amount for a very low cost. Options are national e-verify, a social security card with the same anti counterfitting technologies as a drivers licence, allowing local autourites to aid in idetifiying and deporting illegal aliens, increasing fines to employers and the list could go on and on. Once illegal aliens realize that it won't be a good choice for them to stay here, many will go back home, which would leave fewer here to deport.

What Democrats are supporting is ridiculous and an insult to our intelligence. They are basically saying they can not do things that we know they can do to prevent this problem, then conspiring to make the problem worse and then patting themselves on the backs for doing a horrible job.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:50 AM

3,770 posts, read 6,756,579 times
The reason used for the legality of the executive action is that the president can prioritize immigration enforcement. That sounds reasonable. He can instruct immigration to go after the most serious criminal first, then work their way down to the less serious criminals, so the worst of the worst are deported first.

But how and why are work permits needed to do this? Does immigration need to allow some illegals to have work premits, in order to focus their efforts on felons? Obviously not. One isn't dependent on the other.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:51 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,868,500 times
And don't you just love the picture floating around of the group of bearded "children" flipping the photographer the bird and grabbing their crotches?

Must be the "Dreamers" in action.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:04 PM

63,089 posts, read 29,276,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
The reason used for the legality of the executive action is that the president can prioritize immigration enforcement. That sounds reasonable. He can instruct immigration to go after the most serious criminal first, then work their way down to the less serious criminals, so the worst of the worst are deported first.

But how and why are work permits needed to do this? Does immigration need to allow some illegals to have work premits, in order to focus their efforts on felons? Obviously not. One isn't dependent on the other.
He isn't prioritizing. He simply doesn't want to deport most illegals. We can and should do both. Deport the "convicted" criminals and every other illegal alien. Even more evidence that he doesn't want to deport most of them is as you said giving them work permits. I thought the Democrats were for the poor and the working American. How does this help them? The Democrats are just as much in the back pockets of corporations as the GOP is except the Democrats are also pandering for the Hispanic vote on this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration