Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 06:49 PM

518 posts, read 875,688 times

Advertisements

Will this mean much in the future?

When you allow any non-citizen to squeeze out an "American" kid here it really devalues our citizenship.

Even countless impoverished countries all over the world such as CAMBODIA, SUDAN, and the DOMINICAN REPUBLIC don't allow this nonsense.

Jus soli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 07:59 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,906,247 times
I agree. The idea that illegal aliens can come here, flop out a baby, and have that baby be a U.S. citizen, sucks.. What's interesting is that this is not the policy of the vast majority of developed countries.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:31 PM

Yup, Canada is the only other remaining first world country that allows automatic birthright citizenship. The only reason they haven't banned it yet, from what I've read, is because the amount of non-citizens giving birth is considered to be small in numbers.

In essence, the problem is not significant enough to warrant any bureaucratic hassles and litigation that may erupt from ending the practice. That is the explanation I've read-although I disagree with that logic it's not my country. But Canada's problems are nowhere near the USA's regarding this issue so it's less critical. They should still ban it, and probably will, before the USA does.

Last edited by Bruce Jackpot; 04-02-2015 at 08:41 PM..

Old 04-02-2015, 09:37 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,415,837 times
One of the many, many stupid things about this country, and it will never change. The elites in this country will never allow a change in the law that stops this.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:56 PM

Yes, you said it- it's just one of many unbelievable 'where is the common sense' stupid things with this country. And you're right, birthright citizenship will probably never change or at least in our lifetime. This country is so f$$$ed and we deserve it. Implosion by stupidity barring a miracle. Pretty sad because it is such a beautiful country scenery-wise.

I read that ending birthright citizenship would be a bureaucratic nightmare. Lawyers would have a field day. The bureaucracy would be so costly and messy that it's almost impractical (so I hear)

Apparently ever other first world country and many in the third world have the wherewithal and political courage to end this but it's just not plausible in the USA....

Old 04-03-2015, 06:13 AM

63,348 posts, read 29,423,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Jackpot View Post
Yes, you said it- it's just one of many unbelievable 'where is the common sense' stupid things with this country. And you're right, birthright citizenship will probably never change or at least in our lifetime. This country is so f$$$ed and we deserve it. Implosion by stupidity barring a miracle. Pretty sad because it is such a beautiful country scenery-wise.

I read that ending birthright citizenship would be a bureaucratic nightmare. Lawyers would have a field day. The bureaucracy would be so costly and messy that it's almost impractical (so I hear)

Apparently ever other first world country and many in the third world have the wherewithal and political courage to end this but it's just not plausible in the USA....
This country is no different than any other. If other countries deny children of illegal aliens birthright citizenship we can do likewise. The only nightmare is that our government allows this stupid "practice".

Old 04-03-2015, 07:13 AM

20,523 posts, read 15,958,769 times
Quote:

I don't agree. Not too far back if was illegal for Black people to "marry out" in some states; now the mixed race son of a Black father and anglo white motor, born before Jim Crow was killed, is the POTUS in 2015. If that could happen; the odds are as great that birthright will be ended and ended hard.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:52 AM

If we do we better get moving on it as we are WAY late to the party. Here are some notable countries that ended the practice within the past few decades:

Australia (2007)
New Zealand (2005)
Ireland (2005)
France (1993)
India (1987)
Malta (1989)
UK (1983)
Portugal (1981)

Old 04-03-2015, 09:05 AM

63,348 posts, read 29,423,982 times
Quote:
If we do we better get moving on it as we are WAY late to the party. Here are some notable countries that ended the practice within the past few decades:

Australia (2007)
New Zealand (2005)
Ireland (2005)
France (1993)
India (1987)
Malta (1989)
UK (1983)
Portugal (1981)
A bill was introduced this year to do just that by a Republican. Think the Democrats will go along with it?

Old 04-03-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
A bill was introduced this year to do just that by a Republican. Think the Democrats will go along with it?
Not a chance. And even most Republicans won't be out in support of it. It's not politically advantageous. It's a political risk. The MSM will pick up the story and claim is being introduced because of racism of course... and how cold-hearted and un-American it is. Self-righteous "we are a nation of immigrants" rhetoric will be spewed. The outrage will be LOUD. This is not an issue anyone wants to touch- especially a presidential candidate. Not worth the risk.

Ending Birthright Citizenship is simply not PC. Political -correctness is more important than what's best for the country. Just how it goes, unfortunately, in this country. We live in a hyper-sensitive and combustible political atmosphere and this is just too risky for our elected officials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration