Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 05:23 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,918,773 times

Advertisements

I went to Tahlequah over the weekend for some river sport/activities. I was surprised that they only sell watered down 3.2% alcohol beers in that city (or OK in general?). What's up with that? I can understand that they don't want drunks going down the river. But weak beers won't guarantee sobriety.

BTW, the Muskogee Power Plant that we passed on the way up and down is pretty impressive, both during the day and at night.

Other than the weak beers, I enjoyed myself in Tahlequah. We met up with some folks from Tulsa and I must say Tulsans really know how to party!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 05:39 PM

113 posts, read 438,049 times
If I recall correctly, you can get the stronger stuff but you have to get it at a liquor store.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:55 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,402,231 times
Or you can just start earlier in the day and drink 32 beers.
Seriously though, I think it's a pretty stupid law also...

That's just a recipe for finding more beer cans on the side of the road...

If a person wants to get loaded, they're going to do it
one way or the other.....
3.2 beer isn't going to prevent that.

BTW....
This post does NOT endorse stupid people drinking and driving
in any way, shape or form!
(But 3.2 beer doesn't prevent that anyway.)

Old 06-10-2008, 06:05 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,911,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
I went to Tahlequah over the weekend for some river sport/activities. I was surprised that they only sell watered down 3.2% alcohol beers in that city (or OK in general?). What's up with that? I can understand that they don't want drunks going down the river. But weak beers won't guarantee sobriety.

BTW, the Muskogee Power Plant that we passed on the way up and down is pretty impressive, both during the day and at night.

Other than the weak beers, I enjoyed myself in Tahlequah. We met up with some folks from Tulsa and I must say Tulsans really know how to party!
Hi beowulf; welcome to the Oklahoma forums. For what it's worth folks, beowulf is the real deal - a very decent person and any question he asks is legit.

It's a crappy law, and for the life of me I don't know WHY they allow this sort of thing in Oklahoma. Hopefully it will change.

However, on your next trip, if you do want real beer just go to a liquor store and have an ice cooler to put the beer in because they are required by law to sell the beer at room temperature.

And folks, I am not advocating drinking and driving. I'm just a person that enjoys a nice, cold beer that doesn't taste like pee (yuk).

Beowulf, don't be a stranger; you're good people!

Old 06-10-2008, 07:06 PM

702 posts, read 2,516,685 times
Can someone educate me please?? I know the liquor law in this state is so stupid, as in you can only buy "import" beer in a liquor store which is 5% alcohol, and not domestic. But why can I buy Shiner Bock (brewed and bottled in Texas) in that same liquor store and it's 5%? Last time I checked Texas was still a part of the US, even though they still are having second thoughts on that!

Old 06-10-2008, 07:54 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,604,477 times
Default I would like modern laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansgi View Post
Can someone educate me please?? I know the liquor law in this state is so stupid, as in you can only buy "import" beer in a liquor store which is 5% alcohol, and not domestic. But why can I buy Shiner Bock (brewed and bottled in Texas) in that same liquor store and it's 5%? Last time I checked Texas was still a part of the US, even though they still are having second thoughts on that!
yes its a lame law I dont get it.
Here's how I see it. The only beer and alcoholic bevs that supermarkets can sell is 3.2. The liquor store sells everything else. Most domestics send only their 3.2 to OK, so thats what you see in the supermarkets. You can buy 3.2 imported beer as well. Whether it's imported or not makes no difference at all. Its all about ABW (alcohol by weight). Liquor stores have to sell it at room temp as well.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:24 PM

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Synopsis, I appreciate the kind introduction.

FWIW, I'm not the type who likes to get hammered. But I am the kind that doesn't like stupid laws. LOL I didn't know that stores can't sell beers refrigerated. That doesn't make sense either. Maybe OK's lawmakers think that someone won't drink and drive w/ warm beer but will do so w/ cold beer?

We did take plenty of beer from TX before we drove up to OK. However, a few alcoholics in my party drank most of it up the first night. One guy went to town the next morning and said the liquor store was selling the same weak beer that stores by the river were selling. Also, a bar in town served 3.2% beer on draft. But someone told me the Mexican beers are full strength (~6%).

In any case, if we do this trip next year, we'll be sure to really stock up on beers from TX in a few coolers, which will hopefully last us at least a couple days and nights.

Thanks again for all the replies, "y'all".

Old 06-11-2008, 06:34 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
Beowulf, drink wine instead of beer. That's always the real stuff.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:46 AM

687 posts, read 2,349,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansgi View Post

It's because Shiner Bock is considered a 'micro-brewery'. That's the difference.

Here's a good article that explains some of the issue:

Oklahoma's 3.2 beer laws unlikely to change anytime soon - Marketplace | Modern Brewery Age | Find Articles at BNET.com

Old 06-11-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Beowulf, drink wine instead of beer. That's always the real stuff.

Or the hard stuff such as vodka, whiskey, Everclear, etc. But none of those are allowed on the river either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma