Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 02:10 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,339,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
For those who are seriously considering becoming an American Citizen by the right way, i think learning to speak English, should be a requirement. One of the major problems that we seem to have, is a lack of communication, when these people fail to want to learn our language, it cannot hurt in any way. Other Countries, you must learn their language, should be the same here, No free passes once they become Citizens.
FYI, one does have to know English to become a citizen for the most part. There are only a few acceptions like some elderly where that criteria is waved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 06:46 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,023,989 times
Yes. If you migrate to a country then you should at least be able to speak the language. For example, I wouldn't move to Italy then expect everyone to speak english.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:18 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,978,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Yes, maybe not fluently( since that does take more time) but enough to function well.
yes, at least enough to be able to speak and understand our laws, and how we live in this country.

Nita

Old 07-12-2010, 08:24 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,312,880 times
I believe that sociologists would say that language and communication are one of the elements of a society that is healthy and harmonious. So, I believe that the lack of ability of many immigrants to speak English is a hurtful thing to our nation. One thing about illegal immigrants is that they are least likely to speak English here, that is supported by facts and data. You don't see that with legal immigrants, they have a larger percent that speaks English. I speak Spanish pretty well, so, I have an appreciation for other languages, but if I went to Japan (a country I studied in college), I would never think that it is OK to never learn Japanese or to expect everyone to cater to me.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:28 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,747,600 times
Since it would be hard or impossible to go to another country and not speak their language to earn a living then so it should be in America.

I live in Phoenix and every piece of junk mail I get is both in English and Spanish.
Think of the trees we could save if we could just print in one language.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:47 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,856,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
So many people that live in America do not know how to speak English and it is hurting our country. Yes, I know English speaking skills are required before someone can be a citizen but many people are LEGALLY in America as temporary residents, Green Card Holders or on a variety of special guest worker Visas and do not know a word of English.

It seems to me that there are enough people on Earth that would have a good knowledge of english that should be allowed instead to come here than someone who does not know a word of our language. I understand there is over 300 million people on earth that do not live in America that speak fluent English, many of them would love to come here.

Your thoughts about an english requirement for all immigrants other than tourists.???
Those here on work and student visas are not immigrants btw........neither are tourists lol and you obviously already KNOW anyone applying for citizenship needs a working knowledge of English, so what's the real point of your question?

If you're saying anyone here on an IMMIGRANT visa (or greencard) should have a working knowledge of English, then I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration