Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2008, 11:42 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times

Advertisements

Low Paid Illegal Workforce Has Little Impact on Prices

The Seattle Times: Local News: Low-paid illegal work force has little impact on prices

excerpt:

You might assume that the plentiful supply of low-wage illegal workers would translate into significantly lower prices for the goods and services they produce. In fact, their impact on consumer prices — call it the "illegal-worker discount" — is surprisingly small.

I highly recommend the article, though I doubt any lesson in economic reality will sway the pro-illegals from preaching their fallacious myths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 11:53 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
It is all a big business lie, they tell you they need the labor to save us money, but what they do is pocket those savings. It is all about greed and business. Nothing more.
I discovered this in the housing industry, where I have been for 15 years. Builders pocket the money, and lie to the consumer.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:53 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,343,196 times
The ONLY difference in hiring an illegal at a wage cut.. is NOT for the products to be discounted.. it's a profit issue.. we know it.. the pro-illegals know it.. the politicians know it, and big business absolutely knows it!

The only thing is.. the bleeding hearts will NEVER give in to the truth, or the reality of hiring illegals... hiden agenda's will always way over truth when it comes to the pro-illegals. an Illegal could go right up to a pro-illegal and rob him blind.. but will always have an excuse why the poor illegal did that!

YES SAID THE BLIND MAN, TO THE DEAF AND DUMB DOG!

Old 01-29-2008, 12:08 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
I find this interesting: Based on census data, Passell estimates that in construction specialties, illegal immigrants range from 20 percent of carpet, floor and tile installers to 28 percent of drywallers to 36 percent of insulation workers. Overall, about 14 percent of all workers in the construction industry are in the United States illegally, he says.

Hmmm...

A certain forum member repeatedly claims that no Americans can be found to do construction work, yet, in 2006 anyway, only 14% of construction workers were illegal.

Hmmm...

Old 01-29-2008, 12:08 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,881,815 times
Dont be callin me no dishwasher

Old 01-29-2008, 12:40 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,508,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I highly recommend the article, though I doubt any lesson in economic reality will sway the pro-illegals from preaching their fallacious myths.
Boy have you got that right nvxplorer!

Old 01-29-2008, 12:49 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I find this interesting: Based on census data, Passell estimates that in construction specialties, illegal immigrants range from 20 percent of carpet, floor and tile installers to 28 percent of drywallers to 36 percent of insulation workers. Overall, about 14 percent of all workers in the construction industry are in the United States illegally, he says.

Hmmm...

A certain forum member repeatedly claims that no Americans can be found to do construction work, yet, in 2006 anyway, only 14% of construction workers were illegal.

Hmmm...
I live in Orange County California, I have construction going around my area all the time. I see so many White and Black workers I wonder how people can say illegals own that market elsewhere? TBH I expect to have a crew of illegals come re-roof my house, but no, I got a bunch of white kids from Riverside and Oceanside. I expected to see a bunch of illegals come move my furniture when I moved a month ago, but no 2 white brothers from San Clemente came to do the move.

Is this just a hoax to make us believe illegals are taking over 1 job market at a time? Are we going to see illegals flying airplanes and running security checkpoints next? How about illegal Border Patrol?

Old 01-29-2008, 12:59 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I live in Orange County California, I have construction going around my area all the time. I see so many White and Black workers I wonder how people can say illegals own that market elsewhere? TBH I expect to have a crew of illegals come re-roof my house, but no, I got a bunch of white kids from Riverside and Oceanside. I expected to see a bunch of illegals come move my furniture when I moved a month ago, but no 2 white brothers from San Clemente came to do the move.

Is this just a hoax to make us believe illegals are taking over 1 job market at a time? Are we going to see illegals flying airplanes and running security checkpoints next? How about illegal Border Patrol?
You ought to see the construction workers in AZ!!!! My husband was the only white guy he saw on the crews!!!!!!

Old 01-29-2008, 01:45 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,343,196 times
First it is.. well Americans don't want or won't do those jobs..
Then when it's proven that Americans do work those jobs...
Then all we hear is.. see the illegals are not taking over all the jobs!
The pro-bleeding hearts should make up thier minds!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration