Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 11:17 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times

Advertisements

Aren’t these some of the jobs Americans won’t do?

Quote:
In the latest sign of the Las Vegas Valley’s economic free fall, U.S. citizens are starting to show up in the early mornings outside home improvement stores and plant nurseries across the Las Vegas Valley, jostling with illegal immigrants for a shot at a few hours of work.

Experts say the slow-starting but seemingly inexorable trend is occurring nationwide.

“It’s the equivalent of selling apples in the Great Depression,” said Harley Shaiken, chairman of the Center for Latin American studies at the University of California, Berkeley.
The new faces of day labor - Monday, Nov. 2, 2009 | 2 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 11:29 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,503,523 times
I think it is sad but yet great to see, very telling of the times we are in.

Only 1 question, will customers of said businesses be as upset and disgusted with the 'loitering' by these "new faces", as they were the "old faces"?

Old 11-02-2009, 11:36 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post

Only 1 question, will customers of said businesses be as upset and disgusted with the 'loitering' by these "new faces", as they were the "old faces"?

I doubt it.

Suffice to say: if I had probable cause to see stereotypical 'Mexican' Americans looking for work--------I would definitely seek them out vs. illegal aliens of any lineage if I needed day labor

Old 11-02-2009, 11:43 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
“I told him, ‘I’m an American citizen and you’re trying to push me off American soil?’ 

WOW, now Illegal Immigrants are telling Americans to beat it?

Old 11-02-2009, 11:48 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,503,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
“I told him, ‘I’m an American citizen and you’re trying to push me off American soil?’ 

WOW, now Illegal Immigrants are telling Americans to beat it?

Geez man....Do you want a cherry with a twist in that?

Here is the excerpt in totality:

Quote:
His sojourn got off to a rocky start. On one of his first days on the street outside Home Depot, another laborer told him he should move along because too many people were at the spot.

“I told him, ‘I’m an American citizen and you’re trying to push me off American soil?’ ” The man walked away, and Buchanan says he hasn’t had another problem with his competitors since.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:

That’s an interesting question. As a matter of fact, prior to the invasion, I would regularly see black men being chased off of property in DC that now embraces “immigrants.” Unlike the illegals we see loitering at Home Depot, the Americans seeking work were considered loiterers and a menace. Go figure.

I don’t want men (legal or illegal) following me to my car. This is precisely why I refuse to shop at Home Depot.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:20 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Geez man....Do you want a cherry with a twist in that?

Here is the excerpt in totality:
Yes, and I'll bet you have one handy.

I hope Illegals become so brazen in that manner that the Cops will become part of the immigration process, or at least the deportation process.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:37 PM

807 posts, read 1,303,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
That’s an interesting question. As a matter of fact, prior to the invasion, I would regularly see black men being chased off of property in DC that now embraces “immigrants.” Unlike the illegals we see loitering at Home Depot, the Americans seeking work were considered loiterers and a menace. Go figure.

I don’t want men (legal or illegal) following me to my car. This is precisely why I refuse to shop at Home Depot.
So have I and that type of racial discrimination is absolutely appalling..

Old 11-02-2009, 01:43 PM

807 posts, read 1,303,275 times
Day Laborer Organizing Network? WTF?..

The article seemed to have VERY racist undertones especially the part about "most people that hire day laborers tend to favor Hispanics" because of their "reputation as hard workers" and dismissing those that want border security as Lou Dobbs disciples..

Old 11-02-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarpunk View Post
Day Laborer Organizing Network? WTF?..

The article seemed to have VERY racist undertones especially the part about "most people that hire day laborers tend to favor Hispanics" because of their "reputation as hard workers" and dismissing those that want border security as Lou Dobbs disciples..
Yes, it’s ethnocentric BS. We all know why they hire them, and it has nothing whatsoever to do with work ethic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration