Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 12:38 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,765,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
Re-read the post again. The poster who calls himself "andrea" thought I was either hispanic or an illegal alien (yeah, like I'm sure there are TONS of illegal immigrants posting on City-Data.com forums ) and said that if I left, no one would "bat an eye". So since I'm Irish, should i go back to Ireland?
I read the post well. I don't need to re-read it. My interpretation of this and many of andreabeth's other posts is her firm belief that illegal aliens of every variety, race, species, or nationality, along with their supporters, need to leave.

In saying that if you left, no one would "bat an eye," she was not referring to your nationality, but to your illegal alien sympathizing belief system.

I would have to tend to agree.

If you did indeed emigrate legally from Ireland, then you, above those of us who were born here, should be highly resentful of those who enter this country illegally, bypassing all of the check systems and laws which YOU as a legal immigrant, were required to adhere to. Every legal immigrant I know, and I know many, are completely against illegal immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 12:41 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,489,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
So, you have something against Irish-Americans now? Wow. Talk about bigoted. But reading your posts thus far, it doesn't surprise me.
If the illegal aliens left tomorrow, the United States of American would not bat an eye. That statement should be pretty clear. If not, contact me and I will break it down into smaller pieces and explain each one for you.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:44 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,348,649 times
illegals have all the same rights... NONE!
if your are cuban, mexican, guatemalan, or from the moon..
if you are in our country illegally.. you have NO RIGHTS EQUALLY.. NONE..
and you ALL should equally be deported!

Ain't equality grand!

Old 01-31-2008, 02:53 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,603,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I'll respond.

No one should receive automatic amnesty...no one. I don't care if they're Cuban, Mexican, or Martian.

That said, I understand that there are going to be instances which necessitate a situation of political asylum, much more so when dealing with refugees from Cuba fleeing a communist dictator in fear for their lives than a Mexican citizen who pays a coyote to smuggle them over our southern border illegally so that they can work under the table for cash that they send back to Mexico with no intention of becoming a part of the fabric of this country.

Can you see where the difference might lie?
No I cannot. Just because the Mexican government is not "communist" doesn't mean they are just as oppressive. And your assumption that Mexicans have no intention of becoming a part of the fabric of this country? Where are these people? I live in Houston which is full of illegals and I have yet to see one running down Westheimer waving a Mexican flag. I will state that I do not know how illegals act in California or Arizona. Only Houston and Chicago. And how does fleeing such a corrupt and poverty enhancing government not necessitate political asylum? Mexico is run by the drug trade and we have a war on drugs. Doesn't that mean political asylum should be automatic for all Mexicans since we are fighting a war?

Old 01-31-2008, 02:55 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,215,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
The Indians?
Be careful with that race card; Mach50, many of not most Americans have indigenous North American blood.

I am referring to Apache, Navajo, Sioux, Cherokee, etc.----------no Aztec, etc.

Translation: if all people with no DNA proven Native American Indian heritage were to 'disappear' tomorrow.........it may drop our population 30% tops as well as eliminate virtually all Hispanics.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:02 PM

NO.. it means close the border up tight.. no illegals and no drugs!
You must be pretty close to those around you.. seeing that all you see is illegals.. why don't you pick up the phone and call I.C.E.
because if you get hit by an illegal.. you'll foot the bill.. then again, you may not care.. do you care they are here ILLEGALLY? do you care people sneal into our country and break many laws? do you think we should have laws to protect us? Are you related to these, or any illegals? That would be a good hidden agenda.. so which is it?

Old 01-31-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
No I cannot. Just because the Mexican government is not "communist" doesn't mean they are just as oppressive. And your assumption that Mexicans have no intention of becoming a part of the fabric of this country? Where are these people? I live in Houston which is full of illegals and I have yet to see one running down Westheimer waving a Mexican flag. I will state that I do not know how illegals act in California or Arizona. Only Houston and Chicago. And how does fleeing such a corrupt and poverty enhancing government not necessitate political asylum? Mexico is run by the drug trade and we have a war on drugs. Doesn't that mean political asylum should be automatic for all Mexicans since we are fighting a war?

NO.. it means close the border up tight.. no illegals and no drugs!
You must be pretty close to those around you.. seeing that all you see is illegals.. why don't you pick up the phone and call I.C.E.
because if you get hit by an illegal.. you'll foot the bill.. then again, you may not care.. do you care they are here ILLEGALLY? do you care people sneak into our country and break many laws? do you think we should have laws to protect us? Are you related to these, or any illegals? That would be a good hidden agenda.. so which is it?

Old 01-31-2008, 03:30 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,520,987 times
Quote:
Our government doesn't seem to think so. Maybe you need a lesson in what true oppression is. Not being able to afford living as comfortably as your next door neighbor doesn't exactly constitute oppression. If you have no firsthand knowledge of living in a Communist state, you really have no idea how insulting it is that you are comparing Mexico's impoverished to those who are fleeing from oppression, physical and mental torture, things you would have nightmares about.

If you feel as strongly as you do then I suggest you contact the lawmakers on revising their criteria for who qualifies for asylum. I doubt you'll get very far.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:46 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,603,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Our government doesn't seem to think so. Maybe you need a lesson in what true oppression is. Not being able to afford living as comfortably as your next door neighbor doesn't exactly constitute oppression. If you have no firsthand knowledge of living in a Communist state, you really have no idea how insulting it is that you are comparing Mexico's impoverished to those who are fleeing from oppression, physical and mental torture, things you would have nightmares about.

If you feel as strongly as you do then I suggest you contact the lawmakers on revising their criteria for who qualifies for asylum. I doubt you'll get very far.
So in other words, you are saying Cuba's oppression is somehow superior to Mexico's? At least in Cuba, everyone gets a TV, food, a steady job and health care. It may be sub-standard to us however it is much more than the average Mexican citizen receives. Personally, I am not against anyone fleeing any sort of oppression to come to the United States. I am, however, against the double-standard that has been created by the U.S. government. Do you have first hand knowledge of living in a country that is run by drug kingpins? How about a country that has a hidden caste system wherein the darker you are the chance of you moving up in society is impossible. Cuba and Mexico's situation may be different. Saying that it is an insult to compare the impovershed that have no chance of any mobility to eh impovershed that live under the control of a dictator makes little sense to me. Perhaps the ultimate insult is the fact that we in conjunction with Canada have not done something to overthrow the governments that oppress people to the point where they will risk floating on boards for 100 miles across the sea or walk 100 miles across the desert because after all, being eaten by vultures or sharks would be a much better fate than living and dying in Mexico or Cuba.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:50 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,520,987 times
Quote:
So in other words, you are saying Cuba's oppression is somehow superior to Mexico's? At least in Cuba, everyone gets a TV, food, a steady job and health care. It may be sub-standard to us however it is much more than the average Mexican citizen receives. Personally, I am not against anyone fleeing any sort of oppression to come to the United States. I am, however, against the double-standard that has been created by the U.S. government. Do you have first hand knowledge of living in a country that is run by drug kingpins? How about a country that has a hidden caste system wherein the darker you are the chance of you moving up in society is impossible. Cuba and Mexico's situation may be different. Saying that it is an insult to compare the impovershed that have no chance of any mobility to eh impovershed that live under the control of a dictator makes little sense to me. Perhaps the ultimate insult is the fact that we in conjunction with Canada have not done something to overthrow the governments that oppress people to the point where they will risk floating on boards for 100 miles across the sea or walk 100 miles across the desert because after all, being eaten by vultures or sharks would be a much better fate than living and dying in Mexico or Cuba.
Oppression is now measured by who has TVs and who doesn't? There is no double standard by the goverment where asylum is concerned.

Someone can seek political asylum coming from Mexico or basically any other country - for instance, if someone were spearheading a revolution against the drug cartels in Mexico, and they were captured and tortured and threatened, etc. and somehow made it to the US, he may have a case for political asylum. If the Mexican government decided to outlaw the practice of Catholicism or any other religion, and threatened to imprison or execute anyone who broke that law - another excellent opportunity to play the "asylum" card.

Not having enough money to pay your doctor or to buy a TV, not having a steady job because there aren't enough to go around (or because you can't keep one, beside the point I know) - not so much. I am hoping that you are getting a feel for the difference of political oppression and poverty. By the way, Mexicans are not starving - they are for the most part fairly well fed. What they could do to improve their health is educate their poor about hygiene - that would go a long way in reducing the occurrence of communicable diseases.

And since when is it the US or Canada's job to overthrow any government? It's that kind of thinking that has our troops in Iraq. For all the passion you feel about the injustices happening across our southern border, how about not waiting for the US goverment and actually do something about it yourself? What have you personally committed to in the interested of fixing the plight of Mexico's poor? Whenever people vocalize about the injustices others perpetrate, I always remind them - the only person's behavior you can change is your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration