Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 11:32 AM

118 posts, read 126,765 times

Advertisements

My Korean wife (Korean citizen) and I are applying for her green card right now. She has a Doctorate Degree in Education! I'm an American citizen. We've been married for over 5 years and we have two kids together. Despite the fact that she is accomplished, law-abiding and highly educated, we have had to file 4 - 5 detailed applications tracing her life history including financial dealings, legal and health status and family background. All told, we have been in the process of applying with the US Embassy in Seoul for almost 6-7 months. Later she'll be interrogated by an embassy official as a final check to make sure she's legitimate. Seems like the US government doesn't like to leave any stone unturned when people try to immigrate into the US LEGALLY.

It makes me very angry to see our political leaders in the US doing nothing about illegal immigrants who are breaking American laws to enter the US. Meanwhile, people like my wife and our family jump through hoop after bureaucratic hoop waiting to do things the right way.

Unbelievable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 05:17 PM

26,098 posts, read 22,294,693 times
My son had a similar experience with his wife from the Philippines. They were married there having been introduced by a friend that he met when stationed in Afghanistan. I know they went through a lot with paperwork and interviews and she remained behind in the Philippines for some time after the marriage even giving birth to their child there.

I also knew a Korean family w/mother-in-law that came the legal way and their wait and expenses were unbelievable.

Hopefully, all legal immigrants will support enforcement of our immigration laws.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:42 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,894,333 times
For my wife's green card (I forget details like exact prices and how many forms and what order);

- an application, complete with background information.
- I had to provide evidence of support, meaning there was some minimum income level I had to have.
- the was some initial application, then a large application in which a medical screening was required.
- interviews, not one but two, the initial one and a second one then a visa was issued.
- application fees which were a little over $1000. But had to pay for items for the background and the medical, the medical alone was over $600 because you can only go to the medical place on a list provided by the US embassy, the military (I was active duty) was not certified to do it by the embassy.

After 2? years, had to file for another green car;

- another application, and some more $$$ for it.

But if you want something real absurd, look at the US visa entry policy, basically a person has to "prove" they will return, as if you can overcome that fallacy, it is like getting punished because you could not prove you were not going to do something. Anyway, my wife's family members denied a visa to come to the US to visit; college educated, steady job, own home, etc, and there was no "proof" they would not leave the US. In the mean time, illegals flood over without even asking, yet the hammer comes down on those who actually go through the official means to come visit. This of course unless you are from a handful of countries, like Saudi Arabia, which basically issues visas to any and everyone.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:59 PM

17,505 posts, read 9,333,357 times
This is very common - the first thing you need to understand is the entire Immigration Policy has been designed as a "Job's Program" for Immigration Lawyers. The second thing you need to understand is that the Leftists are ONLY interested in the Hispanic population - they don't actually EVER intend to "Fix" immigration Law (which does need a serious reform as you well know now) - they wouldn't have the "Political Club" to beat up the GOP if they ever allowed reform. It's a Political whipping boy issue - IF there is ever a new law (and there won't be), they would lose the ISSUE as a Talking Point and Get Out the Vote Divisive Issue.

It's all Kabuki Theater ..... The GOP doesn't get a pass, they are totally clueless about Immigration and have allowed the Far Right Wing Media to take over the Conversation.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:02 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,950,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
This is very common - the first thing you need to understand is the entire Immigration Policy has been designed as a "Job's Program" for Immigration Lawyers. The second thing you need to understand is that the Leftists are ONLY interested in the Hispanic population - they don't actually EVER intend to "Fix" immigration Law (which does need a serious reform as you well know now) - they wouldn't have the "Political Club" to beat up the GOP if they ever allowed reform. It's a Political whipping boy issue - IF there is ever a new law (and there won't be), they would lose the ISSUE as a Talking Point and Get Out the Vote Divisive Issue.

It's all Kabuki Theater ..... The GOP doesn't get a pass, they are totally clueless about Immigration and have allowed the Far Right Wing Media to take over the Conversation.
Uh; I think only "some" Hispanics are Ok with leftists and I ain't talking about Argentines or people from Spain here, even Dominicans don't count.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:11 PM

17,505 posts, read 9,333,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; I think only "some" Hispanics are Ok with leftists and I ain't talking about Argentines or people from Spain here, even Dominicans don't count.
I absolutely agree and this is part of why the entire narrative is so wrong about "Hispanics will always vote Democrat". The Leftists actually know this also, so they spend all their time attempting to convince 'Hispanics' that the Republican Party hates them. It's also why the Leftists won't ever allow an Immigration Law to happen.

The rhetoric on all sides has become so convoluted and so distorted that few people have a clue about what they are talking about or what the REAL problems are. We seriously need reform and we seriously need to both secure the border and clean up the VISA system, the Refugee issues, VERIFICATION and the Lawyer mess. The corruption in Border Patrol and ICE is rampant and anyone who tries to expose it is a Target of the Federal Government.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:38 PM

63,275 posts, read 29,374,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I absolutely agree and this is part of why the entire narrative is so wrong about "Hispanics will always vote Democrat". The Leftists actually know this also, so they spend all their time attempting to convince 'Hispanics' that the Republican Party hates them. It's also why the Leftists won't ever allow an Immigration Law to happen.

The rhetoric on all sides has become so convoluted and so distorted that few people have a clue about what they are talking about or what the REAL problems are. We seriously need reform and we seriously need to both secure the border and clean up the VISA system, the Refugee issues, VERIFICATION and the Lawyer mess. The corruption in Border Patrol and ICE is rampant and anyone who tries to expose it is a Target of the Federal Government.
Please describe your idea of "reform". I certainly hope it doesn't include amnesty because that's not "reform".

Old 10-26-2015, 03:42 AM

3,918 posts, read 4,575,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesInDC View Post
My Korean wife (Korean citizen) and I are applying for her green card right now. She has a Doctorate Degree in Education! I'm an American citizen. We've been married for over 5 years and we have two kids together. Despite the fact that she is accomplished, law-abiding and highly educated, we have had to file 4 - 5 detailed applications tracing her life history including financial dealings, legal and health status and family background. All told, we have been in the process of applying with the US Embassy in Seoul for almost 6-7 months. Later she'll be interrogated by an embassy official as a final check to make sure she's legitimate. Seems like the US government doesn't like to leave any stone unturned when people try to immigrate into the US LEGALLY.

It makes me very angry to see our political leaders in the US doing nothing about illegal immigrants who are breaking American laws to enter the US. Meanwhile, people like my wife and our family jump through hoop after bureaucratic hoop waiting to do things the right way.

Unbelievable.
Its a joke... in 2000 my husband came over from England on a K1 (fiance) visa. It took 7 months time it took to fill the forms and the forms and the forms, get his background check, get his immunization card and recent X-Ray in hand, you heard me right, he had to bring an X-Ray in an envelope!

So how many illegals came over in that time... no background check, no immunization card and of course paid no fees. Oh and who cares if at least a thousand people jumped the border without being checked for TB?... as least one Brit proved he didn't have it!

ITS A JOKE!

Old 10-26-2015, 07:18 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,283,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post

Agreed. In Costa Rica a person pays $400.00 application fee waits about 2 months and the goes to the appointment andwalks up to the window and the clerk says denied. No reason and no recourse and the $400.00 isgone.

Don't get married overseas. get a marriage VISA.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:55 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,397,096 times
Been there done that; I've sponsored someone for a green card. It's an arduous process.

That being said, I don't believe it should be made easier...but discussing amnesty for illegals is a slap in the face to those who've done it legally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration