Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 07:04 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,430 times

Advertisements

I think that the "younger generation", those maybe after the baby boomers, don't understand loyalty to their own country, since they seem to think that globalism is GOOD for We the People of America.

They didn't hear their parents talk about fighting in WWII, and what sacrifices we made to rid the world of dictators who would have taken over the world, and we'd all be speaking German and saying "Heil, Hitler, May He Rest in Peace".

I think this has something to do with how they feel about globalism, and that one shouldn't think of one's own country first. But, we older folks disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 07:23 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,474,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
I think that the "younger generation", those maybe after the baby boomers, don't understand loyalty to their own country, since they seem to think that globalism is GOOD for We the People of America.
Yes, blame the younger generation. "You kids get off my lawn!"

One key difference is that colleges and universities now educate us on Globalism/Globalization. It wasn't so relevant to my 84-year old grandad who served in WWII. It was only slightly relevant to my 57-year old dad. My generation studies what it is, why it happens, how it is good, how it is bad, and how there is no possible way to stop it or slow it down.

Quote:
They didn't hear their parents talk about fighting in WWII, and what sacrifices we made to rid the world of dictators who would have taken over the world, and we'd all be speaking German and saying "Heil, Hitler, May He Rest in Peace".
Are you kidding? That WWII generation embraced globalism. WWII was a war about globalism! We knew what happened in Europe would come back to bite us, if we didn't stop it.

Also, what generation started the UN? The IMF? The WTO? GATT? NATO? Those are all globalist. If you consider us youngsters to be misled, then perhaps you should consider who we learned from.

Quote:
I think this has something to do with how they feel about globalism, and that one shouldn't think of one's own country first. But, we older folks disagree.
You're right, I don't think of my country first. I think of my city first. Then my county. Then my state. Then my country. After that, western civilization as a whole.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:32 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,138,768 times
Thomas Paine said "My country is the world," so it must not be a new idea brought about by my generation.

However, I would argue that one has to be sensible and practical about it. You can't just throw out a catchy slogan and apply it to every aspect of your life and the way you view the world. That being said, I still believe in that philosophy.

I don't understand why it should follow that I wouldn't respect WWII veterans.

Last edited by buildings_and_bridges; 02-06-2008 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: attempts to clarify

Old 02-06-2008, 08:09 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,508,236 times
You are right, many young people are really spoiled and have no idea about what it took to make this country what it is and how easily we could loose it all. No wonder, with the way education is in our schools today and the lack of parenting by many. That is not to say that all young folks aren't taught the facts so don't get defensive my young educated Americans that take the time to visit forums such as these.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:32 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,474,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
You are right, many young people are really spoiled and have no idea about what it took to make this country what it is and how easily we could loose it all.
I agree!

And many old people are poorly educated about today's issues, carry a sense of entitlement, and make decisions that hurt their children and grandchildren.

Every generation could stand to learn a little bit.

Quote:
No wonder, with the way education is in our schools today and the lack of parenting by many. That is not to say that all young folks aren't taught the facts so don't get defensive my young educated Americans that take the time to visit forums such as these.
Hey, defense is a natural response to offense I love my grandparents. I just don't buy into this "blame so-and-so generation." People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:55 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,582,024 times
I agree. There is no sense of "ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." They are too self-absorbed and entitled.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:12 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,138,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I agree. There is no sense of "ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." They are too self-absorbed and entitled.
That's a ridiculous generalization of an entire group of people.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:21 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
cowardice, sloath, lack of fidelity =
lack of parenting?

Old 02-06-2008, 09:23 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,553,332 times
Don't want to get into a big, long winded "rant" here...I'm a "Viet Nam vet" and came of "age" PRECISELY in the middle of the "MLK years"...I saw it all---from the naive 50's, to the tumultous, angry 60's, and on---the rest, as they say, is history.

There's NO DOUBT that America had a certain "swagger" and cockiness in the past (doubt that? watch ANY WWII Movie)---and some say it STILL DOES...(no names, please). It's a very annoying trait in the eyes of many, here and abroad. I think this "cockiness" is even ONE of the things that fuels "Islamic rage"....and that's not altogether hard to understand.

We have the "zeal of the convert" here. Having recently "discovered" civil rights, racial equality, women's rights, equal opportunity, and the "rights of the accused"... we're now DETERMINED that the rest of the world will be thrilled when we "show" them this "new way of living". Much of the world does NOT share our enthusiasm, does NOT want these 'improvements", and CERTAINLY doesn't want to "learn them" from US !

But I ALSO think there's no doubt at ALL that western civilization has SO FAR been mankind's noblest effort yet to lift ALL of us out of the "mud". The past century or so has been the first time in human history that at least SOME ordinary everyday people had a chance at a life that was anything other than "short, brutish, and nasty"...we did it HERE, and we wanted it to 'catch on" elsewhere. It hasn't yet---it may NEVER---and even HERE, it may not last....NOBODY KNOWS, because nobody's ever "done this before". Can "Mr and Mrs Average World Citizen" ever live in peace and prosperity, without "beating up" on their neighbors, or BEING beaten up? Hard to say---there's evidence that it MIGHT work, and much evidence that it's impossible.

I'll only say this for certain...in our effort to "include" the non-western majority of the world, SOME of us are finding it easier to DENIGRATE our culture here, than to "build up" cultures elsewhere. They seem to feel that if we constantly remind ourselves how unfair and imperfect and racist OUR society is, the "others" will simply HAVE to "look better" by comparison.

It's an understandable feeling, but ultimately its silly. It's like fighting crime by telling ourselves. "Well, actually, NONE of us are perfect. We're ALL in this together. After all, criminals are just 'people', too"...It's a charitable thing to say, but does nothing to address the problem of crime. Same dynamic applies, I think, in our present "global" outlook....

Just my humble opinion..

Old 02-06-2008, 09:44 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,494,591 times
I think the younger generation feels they must "clean up" for what the prior generations in America have left us. There is definitely a sense of guilt, especially amongst white people.

Let's face it, we have had some terrible national and foreign relationships over the years, and a magnitude of US atrocities. There is a sense amongst young people that we no longer want to be hated by the rest of the world.

I think the world will have a much better impression of America in about 25-30 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration