Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2008, 06:18 AM

21,116 posts, read 42,217,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc0127 View Post
We all need to stop saying ''Anglos.'' This is the exact kind of thing Mexican immigrants do so they don't have to feel uncomfortable having their whiteness or future whiteness challenged. White people don't call themselves that. It's not even like they ever did. It sounds like something you'd see in a dirty old textbook - like Negro. People just say white and black. Or the other scapegoat other immigrants will use is ''American'' for whites. Because to a lot of them, that's what being American is. It's not to say they don't think blacks aren't Americans, but they don't kiss their ass.

You are right though. A name isn't always a give away - but is usually. That's why so few would think Bill Richardson was of Latin American (actually part) descent. Most actually never knew who he was to begin with though.
Here in Arizona when the authorities are looking for a suspect; they will use terms like 'Hispanic, Anglo', etc.

Never mind that I have known 'Hispanics' who were unabashed White as well as Anglos who looked stereotypically Latino/a.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:03 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,585,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Here in Arizona when the authorities are looking for a suspect; they will use terms like 'Hispanic, Anglo', etc.

Never mind that I have known 'Hispanics' who were unabashed White as well as Anglos who looked stereotypically Latino/a.
Makes it easier than putting out an A.P.B. for a "possibly Norwegian/ French/ Afghan male, probably with one Filipino great grandparent.....Filipino great grandparent not certain..MAY have been Chamorro.."

Cops are "action" people, not into a lot of 'detail' during the heat of pursuit. Trouble is, these 'code words' like 'anglo' or 'hispanic' THEN carry over into every day conversation, taking on a respectabilty they don't deserve...

Old 02-21-2008, 09:15 AM

48,493 posts, read 97,073,212 times
Hispanis was at one time the politically correct word to use . My how times change.As I remember it was mexicans themselves who said it was the right word.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:20 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,046,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I keep hearing that Hispanics will eventually become the majority in the US. What do they plan to do when this happens?

Will they make Spanish the official language? If so, what will this accomplish? Do they plan to remake the legal justice system? What would this look like?

I imagine they will vote Hispanics into office, but so what? There already are officials all across the country of many different races and backgrounds, and they still must operate under the same system. Do Hispanics plan to change current institutions?

I don't understand what the significance of being a "racial" majority will hold.
i speak to you as a 4th generation mexican american and can honestly say that you will see no difference provided that you SEAL THAT BORDER! this country needs to give the current batch of legal immigrants the chance to "mix in the stew" and stop letting the flood of impoverished mexicans into the country. until then, we won't ever have the chance to "catch up" with the rest of america b/c we will always be dragged down by the underclass of ppl constantly sneaking in. in the history of the US, immigration was abruptly halted in 1924. this allowed the millions of immigrants already here to acculturate and assimilate successfully. as long as there are huge #s of illegals coming in, there will always be the ethnocentric lobbying groups like LULAC, Natl council of la raza, etc. who will create rifts in american society by pandering to those who are here illegally, who constantly lobby for continued programs and benefits for ppl who fail to contribute to the system.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:20 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,349,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
i speak to you as a 4th generation mexican american and can honestly say that you will see no difference provided that you SEAL THAT BORDER! this country needs to give the current batch of legal immigrants the chance to "mix in the stew" and stop letting the flood of impoverished mexicans into the country. until then, we won't ever have the chance to "catch up" with the rest of america b/c we will always be dragged down by the underclass of ppl constantly sneaking in. in the history of the US, immigration was abruptly halted in 1924. this allowed the millions of immigrants already here to acculturate and assimilate successfully. as long as there are huge #s of illegals coming in, there will always be the ethnocentric lobbying groups like LULAC, Natl council of la raza, etc. who will create rifts in american society by pandering to those who are here illegally, who constantly lobby for continued programs and benefits for ppl who fail to contribute to the system.
I don't get how these groups get away with using "minority" status for people who just walk over the border, and hey, now they're a minority who need special privileges!

That should ONLY be for citizens, and it was originally intended for African-Americans only because of our history. We have NO history with these illegals. That's like me going to Saudi Arabia, saying that I'm in the minority (duh), and asking for special privileges.

Where do these people get off?

Old 02-21-2008, 10:37 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,929,054 times
Wehotex has a very good point. How about instead of just sealing the borders to illegals, why don't we have a temporary halt in immigration period? This would help the ones (legal) currently here assimilate into our culture (as I'm sure Wehotex has) and get on their feet economically. We already have a large population with a replacement level birthrate and millions of recent immigrants.

I'm only throwing this out there-I don't necessarily believe we should shut the borders to everyone. But maybe for a few years we could introduce requirements like a certain level of education, proof of impending employment in the US, and a English language course if you dont already know it.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:48 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,765,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Wehotex has a very good point. How about instead of just sealing the borders to illegals, why don't we have a temporary halt in immigration period? This would help the ones (legal) currently here assimilate into our culture (as I'm sure Wehotex has) and get on their feet economically. We already have a large population with a replacement level birthrate and millions of recent immigrants.

I'm only throwing this out there-I don't necessarily believe we should shut the borders to everyone. But maybe for a few years we could introduce requirements like a certain level of education, proof of impending employment in the US, and a English language course if you dont already know it.
Who says legal immigrants currently here are not asimilating into the culture?

Old 02-21-2008, 11:10 AM

162 posts, read 326,693 times
It seems that people cant share life with "other skin color people", the whole issue is stupid, I wish America could look forward leaving behind all the stereotypes and fears that discrimination brings with it. I personally believe that all the "whatever-american" associations are just deviding the country and profiling ourselves. I dare all my fellow Americans to remain Americans ONLY, that will make of us the strongest country of the world, right?

Old 02-21-2008, 11:36 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,349,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATOGAMO View Post
It seems that people cant share life with "other skin color people", the whole issue is stupid, I wish America could look forward leaving behind all the stereotypes and fears that discrimination brings with it. I personally believe that all the "whatever-american" associations are just deviding the country and profiling ourselves. I dare all my fellow Americans to remain Americans ONLY, that will make of us the strongest country of the world, right?
It's kind of human nature, for better or worse, to want to be with one's "own people" - look how people of certain groups stick together because they're more comfortable that way. There's nothing wrong with it, as long as we ALL have common values and goals in America, overall.

Unfortunately, we can't seem to have this segregation, AND have common values and goals so that we can be "one people". In order to have a united country, we need SOME things in common - usually, language is the first thing. If we don't even have that, we're in trouble, I think. We can't even communicate with each other!

Old 02-21-2008, 11:45 AM

162 posts, read 326,693 times
Well, you have a point there, language is very important...BUT some people is mutilating english language because of their ethnic, here we are back to the main issue. About the human nature of joining thier "own people" is confirming the stereotype mentality again, why cant just black, chinesse, hispanic and caucasian have fun together. That is my point we need to stop supporting ethnic associations, they only feed more fear to do the right thing. I am personally a mix of cultures, european and hispanic, and I have great friends almost in "every group" and is too much fun. God bless America, we can do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration