Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2008, 02:15 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,095,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARUFA View Post
Hi , I don't think that spanish population will never be a majority. Certain nacionality is majority over the other spanish speaking communities (mexico).
I was born in USA , in LA CA , my parents where from Argentina. However, I certainly hope , the US never will be like any of those latin countries. Full of corrupts 'politicians' traficants, some of those countries a run by gansters. GOD keep the US to became one of those countries.
We do have corruption in our goverment.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:18 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,564,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
I don't think we can ever run into that. Our laws protect us from that.
Our laws specify that no one can enter this country without permission, too. It's pretty explicit...Additionally, we're not allowed to have drugs, or to import them....and we're not allowed, by law, to practice gang violence....and our politicians take an oath to 'uphold the Constitution of the United States' which means THEY agree to uphold the laws. too. None of these 'laws' seem to be working all that well.....

Old 02-21-2008, 03:39 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,920,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
We do have corruption in our goverment.
Nowwhere near the levels of LAtin America though-ask any honest one.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:28 PM

206 posts, read 410,908 times
Default It all depends...

Living in CA, I think I have had a preview of what a Hispanic majority might mean. But, I'd like to hope that the future might be different and that a Hispanic majority won't mean anything other than the fact a majority of patriotic, English-speaking Americans have Latin American ancestry.

But, if CA is any indication of what is to come, and if our country does not move beyond 'ethnic politics,' we may end up with thousands, if not millions, of La Raza types similar to the current mayor of L.A. Our Senate might resemble the CA legislature and reflect the same allegiance to a foreign power and its population over non-Hispanic Americans.

This is not to imply that all Hispanics are members of Mecha or La Raza or subscribe to their ideas. But, even a handful of such individuals in positions of power would not bode well for the rest of us and for the cohesiveness of our society.

The only viable solution is to stop emphasizing ancestry (the past) and to focus on an American identity (the present) while building a sense of community that is not based on some tribal identity (in other words, evolve).

Old 02-21-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Nowwhere near the levels of LAtin America though-ask any honest one.
VERY true--as I suggested above, ALL these nations have laws---probably as many as WE do. Surely you don't think graft and corruption are really LEGAL, anywhere? The difference is here, we do a far better job of 'rooting out' the bad guys. We STILL have that lingering sense of societal "guilt" which attaches great SHAME to a 'dirty cop'. (Though we are RAPIDLY losing our ability to 'shame' a politician caught in a lie). We're becoming more 'third world" each year, but we aren't there YET. We STILL come down pretty hard on corruption, when and IF it's brought to light.

The corruption we DO have carries far greater stigma, and requires far more 'sneaking around', and is far less 'taken for granted', than the corruption endemic in so MUCH of the world. Let's HOPE we never lose our capacity for 'shame', because the BIG problem with corruption is not that somebody 'gets away' with something...it's that, once it takes 'root', corruption rapidly destroys all public 'trust', and takes away the 'dignity' of the legal system....and that's when we become just another 'third world' nation, where you can get any amount of justice that you can afford. There's "Justice to fit any budget". NOT a good way to live, believe me!

Old 02-21-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue pekoe View Post
Living in CA, I think I have had a preview of what a Hispanic majority might mean. But, I'd like to hope that the future might be different and that a Hispanic majority won't mean anything other than the fact a majority of patriotic, English-speaking Americans have Latin American ancestry.

But, if CA is any indication of what is to come, and if our country does not move beyond 'ethnic politics,' we may end up with thousands, if not millions, of La Raza types similar to the current mayor of L.A. Our Senate might resemble the CA legislature and reflect the same allegiance to a foreign power and its population over non-Hispanic Americans.

This is not to imply that all Hispanics are members of Mecha or La Raza or subscribe to their ideas. But, even a handful of such individuals in positions of power would not bode well for the rest of us and for the cohesiveness of our society.

The only viable solution is to stop emphasizing ancestry (the past) and to focus on an American identity (the present) while building a sense of community that is not based on some tribal identity (in other words, evolve).

Very true--at this point, our future could literally "go either way". In addition to your points, we HAVE to get rid of this INSANE love-affair with "multiculturalism" (No, I DON'T mean food or music..I mean cultural VALUES). Multiculturalism was a "fun idea" for a few years, and sounds "neat" to a 12-year old--but in actual practice, it would be an absolute unmitigated disaster. Has anyone read the "War in the Balkans" thread? PERFECT example of 'nice', well-meaning, educated people, who insist on "Celebrating their Differences" with their neighbors....and have gone from ethnic politics and petty 'squabbles' and misunderstandings, to guns, bombs, and murder...(or are ABOUT to, as they have many times before). What's WRONG with these people? NOTHING !...they just can't stand each others' CULTURES, that's all (because that's all it TAKES)....

Old 02-21-2008, 05:49 PM

162 posts, read 326,431 times
Why too much noise about the ethnic evolution in America? Nothing will change but the skin color leading pattern, hopefully the global warming problem will be fixed or we all will be a little bit darker, and maybe is gonna be harder to notice who is who, lol, I would love that. God bless America

Old 02-21-2008, 06:01 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,373,388 times
Quote:

This is exactly the point I was trying to make with my posts. If LA is an indicator of what the country would be like with a Hispanic majority, then God help us. Great post.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:55 PM

394 posts, read 1,007,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Does Your Pinkie Get Tired Of Hitting The Shift Key On Every Word?

Just Wondering....
Too Funny

Old 02-22-2008, 01:25 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,954,232 times
Quote:

Most Mechistas, Aztlanistas and other political groups are usually ran by "young" people from the ages of 16-30, usually American born. I agree with their philanthropist side, not what they stand for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration