Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 04:02 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,136,470 times

Advertisements

The lady in the story is married and has a degree in computer science. She paid $8,000 to get to the US to escape the infamous M13 gang that she had made angry with her activism against them. They threatened her 13 year old daughter.

She said even though she and her daughter are in one detention facility ( the family turned themselves in at the border ) and her husband is at another, it's the first time she has felt physically safe in months. This is an asylum case, not a "free stuff" case.

The point of the whole article, which most of you obviously didn't read before commenting, was that some of these south American countries are so horribly messed up and violent, that even though 80% of those interviewed said they think there is an increased chance they will be deported or jailed, they would take their chances given the opportunity because they are afraid for their lives.

Maybe all that money we spent over in the middle east would have been better spent closer to home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 08:04 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,921,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
The lady in the story is married and has a degree in computer science. She paid $8,000 to get to the US to escape the infamous M13 gang that she had made angry with her activism against them. They threatened her 13 year old daughter.

She said even though she and her daughter are in one detention facility ( the family turned themselves in at the border ) and her husband is at another, it's the first time she has felt physically safe in months. This is an asylum case, not a "free stuff" case.

The point of the whole article, which most of you obviously didn't read before commenting, was that some of these south American countries are so horribly messed up and violent, that even though 80% of those interviewed said they think there is an increased chance they will be deported or jailed, they would take their chances given the opportunity because they are afraid for their lives.

Maybe all that money we spent over in the middle east would have been better spent closer to home.
You all but said Hispanic culture's "trash" since those people bypassed LatAm to head to the US.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:07 AM

63,004 posts, read 29,210,493 times
Quote:

I don't disagree with your last sentence but if we weren't spending $113 billion a year on illegal aliens we'd have more tax dollars to help true refugees and asylum seekers and most of all our own needy citizens. Even so, we can't be the flophouse and employment agency to the whole world. It's not just about tax dollars but jobs and resources also.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:16 AM

57,378 posts, read 26,285,929 times
Quote:

You are correct the money spent in the ME would have been better spent addressing the lawlessness in Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador. The unaccompanied minors are a particularly difficult problem and putting enormous stress on the school systems. The policy now is to release them in the care of other immigrants but it's difficult to track. Our policy of returning mostly violent offenders make these countries a hot bed for gangs. You read through some of the stories and you can understand why they travel a thousand miles to get away from these vicious criminals.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I don't disagree with your last sentence but if we weren't spending $113 billion a year on illegal aliens we'd have more tax dollars to help true refugees and asylum seekers and most of all our own needy citizens. Even so, we can't be the flophouse and employment agency to the whole world. It's not just about tax dollars but jobs and resources also.
I agree. We can't afford to import poverty, and we've been doing it at a rapid pace. The downward pressure on wages from the illegal aliens willingness to work for peanuts, the abuse of he H1b program, the pressure on our schools and ER's...

I'm not soft on immigration, trust me. I'm just not one of those " deport em all " people.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You are correct the money spent in the ME would have been better spent addressing the lawlessness in Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador. The unaccompanied minors are a particularly difficult problem and putting enormous stress on the school systems. The policy now is to release them in the care of other immigrants but it's difficult to track. Our policy of returning mostly violent offenders make these countries a hot bed for gangs. You read through some of the stories and you can understand why they travel a thousand miles to get away from these vicious criminals.
I sure can. I'd do anything to get away from that.

If we were going to spend so much money ( and I don't even want to say blood, because I can't bear to think about it ) like we did in the ME, can you imagine the kind of stability we could have brought to our neighboring continent? And how much that would have benefitted us as a nation since we wouldn't be dealing with all of these desperate people?

Instead, we have a hot mess in the ME, a refugee crisis that has de-stabilized Europe, and Latin Americans risking their very lives to come here, adversely affecting all of our quality of life.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
You all but said Hispanic culture's "trash" since those people bypassed LatAm to head to the US.
No I didn't.

If you were going to risk your life, your families lives, and everything you had, wouldn't you head for the best country in the world?

Old 08-24-2016, 09:23 AM

63,004 posts, read 29,210,493 times
Quote:
No I didn't.

If you were going to risk your life, your families lives, and everything you had, wouldn't you head for the best country in the world?

I wouldn't flee to another country for economic opportunity at the expense of the rightful citizens of that country. Many of us aren't "round em all" people either we just want our laws on the books enforced which isn't happening anymore.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:50 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,921,704 times
Quote:
No I didn't.

I don't about you but; if I was a Spanish speaking Hispanic person, I'd rather be IN another Hispanic country cause at least the language is the same and the culture's are kinda sorta alike.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I don't about you but; if I was a Spanish speaking Hispanic person, I'd rather be IN another Hispanic country cause at least the language is the same and the culture's are kinda sorta alike.
Outside of the language barrier, Hispanic culture isn't that much different from ours. ( Leaving out the horrific mess that the gangs have caused down there, but that's not so much cultural as economic)

We were founded by Christians, so were they. Culturally not that different. Mind you- I am not advocating for the clusterf*** that our current system is. I'm just sympathetic to this college educated woman's cause and think that she and her family are exactly the sort of immigrants we should be welcoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration