Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is immigration your number 1 concern in this election?
Yes 23 65.71%
No 12 34.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 08:19 PM

220 posts, read 381,870 times

Advertisements

BlackNight04,

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Good question, i'll rep you for that.
I appreciate the compliment, although it's kind of weird coming from someone who is my ideological opposite with respect to immigration politics on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 08:23 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,754,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTex View Post
AZBear,

Yeah, but for every family that's leaving there's probably a new one moving in. It's more likely that the growth rate of illegals in AZ has merely slowed rather than reversed.

Just because you're reading media stories reporting that illegal families are leaving Phoenix it doesn't mean that our side is actually winning.
You've got to be the biggest pessimist on this board. Every time someone reports that anti-illegal immigration measures are working, you come in like Sad Sack and rain on their parade.

Well, here's something you can cry over. Economists say that not only are we headed for a recession, but there's a damn good chance that it will become a depression. But you know the old saying, "rats flee a sinking ship." As the U.S. sinks into financial hell and there are no jobs to be had, Mexico will start looking pretty darn good to those here illegally. Maybe by the time we get our feet back under us, Mexico will have grown some bullocks and turned their own economy around, negating the presumed necessity of heading north to steal American jobs.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:34 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,595,769 times
No, immigration is NOT my #1 issue, and I answered your poll honestly. Is it in the top 3?? Definitely.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:45 PM

220 posts, read 381,870 times
Kele,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
You've got to be the biggest pessimist on this board. Every time someone reports that anti-illegal immigration measures are working, you come in like Sad Sack and rain on their parade.
My attitude is dictated by the facts on the ground (in this case literally) and the fact is we're losing.

More then a million illegal aliens are crossing our borders and dropping anchors at light speed (many of them are OTMs) and our government is doing next to nothing about it. And while I am happy for Arizona and Oklahoma in their recent successes in passing immigration control legislation it bears meantioning that the illegal alien population in these states (when taken as a whole) is probably still increasing. Last time I checked that's not success.

Doesn't the poll question in the related thread say it all? The majority of Americans on this immigration forum think "we're probably being invaded", or is that the kind of stark realism you have a hard time accepting?

Quote:
Well, here's something you can cry over. Economists say that not only are we headed for a recession, but there's a damn good chance that it will become a depression. But you know the old saying, "rats flee a sinking ship." As the U.S. sinks into financial hell and there are no jobs to be had, Mexico will start looking pretty darn good to those here illegally. Maybe by the time we get our feet back under us, Mexico will have grown some bullocks and turned their own economy around, negating the presumed necessity of heading north to steal American jobs.
I agree that a massive economic collapse, which might be on the horizon but no one knows for sure, is the best chance we have to seriously deal with the current illegal alien population.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:49 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,155,674 times
Quote:
AZBear,

Yeah, but for every family that's leaving there's probably a new one moving in. It's more likely that the growth rate of illegals in AZ has merely slowed rather than reversed.

Just because you're reading media stories reporting that illegal families are leaving Phoenix it doesn't mean that our side is actually winning.
I live here in Arizona.......I can see the changes with my own two eyes.

Too; virtually everyone here is also seeing the illegals flee

Old 02-27-2008, 08:54 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,155,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post

Recession: uglier than the one ca. 1980, I will give you that.

1930's style depression I doubt.

Maybe the status of the Great Depression ca. 1939-------but, certainly not as bad as 1929-32.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:55 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,284,003 times
Quote:

You are mistaken - the growth is a NET down - schools are closing because of them leaving -

Employers are firing them =

Old 02-27-2008, 09:01 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,754,246 times
Quote:
Kele,

My attitude is dictated by the facts on the ground (in this case literally) and the fact is we're losing.

More then a million illegal aliens are crossing our borders and dropping anchors at light speed (many of them are OTMs) and our government is doing next to nothing about it. And while I am happy for Arizona and Oklahoma in their recent successes in passing immigration control legislation it bears meantioning that the illegal alien population in these states (when taken as a whole) is probably still increasing. Last time I checked that's not success.

Doesn't the poll question in the related thread say it all? The majority of Americans on this immigration forum think "we're probably being invaded", or is that the kind of stark realism you have a hard time accepting?

I agree that a massive economic collapse, which might be on the horizon but no one knows for sure, is the best chance we have to seriously deal with the current illegal alien population.
Well, I'm one of those folks who has spent the last five years of my life on the front lines and has the scars to prove it and I DO NOT appreciate that you come in here and tell us all that our fight is for naught because we're losing the battle.

Well, we've lost a few battles but we've won several and we will still win the war. I have seen numerous changes IN OUR FAVOR since I first became involved in this movement and I will continue to work and to fight to salvage my country for my children and for their children. The fact that much is being done now on a state level, without waiting for the federal government to pull its collective thumbs out of its collective a**es gives me great hope for the future of this movement.

I lived in Los Angeles up until last August. I think I have a better idea than most to what degree this country has been invaded.

Don't talk to me about stark realism until you've spent the five longest minutes of your life having the bloody hell beat out of you by a crowd of illegal aliens and their supporters for the crime of being a blonde, blue-eyed woman in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I've collected my share of bruises and herniated discs for this movement and I'll be damned if I'll stand by while someone with a defeatist attitude continues to insist that it has all been for nothing.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:29 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,344,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Recession: uglier than the one ca. 1980, I will give you that.

1930's style depression I doubt.

Maybe the status of the Great Depression ca. 1939-------but, certainly not as bad as 1929-32.
Of course, we've all heard the stories about the Great Depression - 25% of people were out of work. I HOPE it doesn't get that bad, with people on the street corners selling apples for 5 cents. And, long soup lines on every block....!

My father always told the story of getting "only an orange" for Christmas. Of course, we kids didn't believe him at the time, but it was true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration