Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 11:07 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,522,764 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this is something Trump has said but it seems if birthright citizenship ended it would make the U.S a lot less attractive for illegals.
Clearly illegals have been exploiting birthright citizenship.

If the U.S made it hard/bad enough for illegals the wall might be unnecessary.

Enforce everify
No birthright citizenship
Cut any benefits
Cut funding to sanctuary cities
Deport illegals even for minor offenses

Of course there are more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 01:00 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,362,148 times
I hope so!

Old 01-16-2017, 01:40 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,044,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I'm not sure if this is something Trump has said but it seems if birthright citizenship ended it would make the U.S a lot less attractive for illegals.

Enforce everify
Cut any benefits
Deport illegals e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶i̶n̶o̶r̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶e̶n̶s̶e̶s̶

Of course there are more
Fixed it for you

Old 01-16-2017, 01:56 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,323,964 times
In a generation we'd have a country of non-citizens. A ridiculously low number of people go to the trouble of getting a passport currently. Could you imagine how few people would complete the extensive paperwork needed to prove citizenship? Never mind the fees attached?

Old 01-16-2017, 03:55 PM

22,520 posts, read 12,072,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
In a generation we'd have a country of non-citizens. A ridiculously low number of people go to the trouble of getting a passport currently. Could you imagine how few people would complete the extensive paperwork needed to prove citizenship? Never mind the fees attached?
In countries that don't have birthright citizenship, they all manage just fine. Just how "extensive" do you imagine the paper work to be? It can't be so bad that people don't bother with it.

So, the parents need to show their birth certificates showing that they were born in the USA. Legal immigrants would also have to show their birth certificates, as well as their green cards. What's so hard about that?

When a baby is born, they are given a certificate of live birth but it doesn't automatically confer citizenship until the paper work is there.

As for fees, I'm sure that if a family is dirt poor, there will be programs to help with this thing.

Think about all this for a minute. If other countries can do this, so can the USA.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:01 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,903,413 times
Quote:
And yet many companies like my own do it voluntarily. Original Birth certificate $25 depending on state and county, also needed Photo ID, Passport preferred but state drivers license was accepted along with Social Security Card. A military ID card, reserve ID card, or retiree card accepted.
Not impossible nor all that inconvenient. Oddly enough 100% of our employees complied.
Try to get a bank account in another country now. Thanks to Obama you need to do some serious paper work.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:39 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,362,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
And yet many companies like my own do it voluntarily. Original Birth certificate $25 depending on state and county, also needed Photo ID, Passport preferred but state drivers license was accepted along with Social Security Card. A military ID card, reserve ID card, or retiree card accepted.
Not impossible nor all that inconvenient. Oddly enough 100% of our employees complied.
Try to get a bank account in another country now. Thanks to Obama you need to do some serious paper work.
Yup, FATCA. I still know lots of expat Americans in Europe from my time over there. A couple have since relocated to Canada. Only one has renounced their citizenship so far.

Fortunately, I moved back to the US pre-FATCA. Even then, it was still annoying to have to file income taxes with the IRS every year. You still had to do that pre-FATCA, but I didn't have to provide extensive documentation. My ex's income wasn't subject to US taxation.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:48 PM
exm

3,737 posts, read 1,796,771 times
I would like for this to end: just like in most other Western countries one of the parents should be a citizen.

However, I don't think changing the constitution will happen anytime soon.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:23 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,138,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

Enforce everify
Cut any benefits
Deport illegals even for minor offenses

Of course there are more
Executive order on day 1. Immediately needs to be ruled on once and for all by the supreme court within a few weeks.

The interpretation on "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" is clear for intelligent people...not for sympathizers

Old 01-16-2017, 09:25 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,138,515 times
Quote:
If the parents are illegals the kids are citizens to their parents home country.

These are not hard and fast rules
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration