Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2006, 09:53 PM

603 posts, read 1,996,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susel1331 View Post
...Such a thought can only come from someone who is used to deal with a multicultural environment and someone who actually grows from the benefits of traveling and getting to know other cultures. Americans are not ready for that outstanding state of mind yet. For them, what they have here in the country represents the world and many of them have no idea how many continents the world have, which is a shame being such a powerful country as it has been claimed.
As an American and someone who has traveled a great deal and experienced many cultures, I think that blanket statement isn't quite fair. How has this 30 year, obsessive, multi-cultural sensitivity agenda, being preached by politicians and academia, actually served our people in America? Hasn't it put more of a focus on our individual differences, rather than our sameness??? While working on my doctorate, I can tell you, I've had so many multicultural sensitivity lectures that I could throw up. They act as if we've never heard this same rant over and over again. My sister, as a new teacher, is told she has to treat specific ethnic groups of children differently in the classroom because of their unique "cultures". There is a fine line between being sensitive to culture and being ridiculous. We need to recognize that America has its own culture. Rather than trying to embrace many as separate, we should be proud of our culture and make sure that others assimilate into our society and be proud to be our fellow citizens and a part of our unique culture in America.

If you want to share in another culture, you can go to that country and enjoy it. Drink their wine, speak their language, explore. I've done it many times. It's not closed minded to feel that way IMO. Millions of Americans are starting to wake up from this PC garbage that they have been force-feeding us for years...Okay I'll get off the soapbox now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2006, 09:18 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,816,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
My sister, as a new teacher, is told she has to treat specific ethnic groups of children differently in the classroom because of their unique "cultures". There is a fine line between being sensitive to culture and being ridiculous.
Good point. To me it sounds like their request to have almost fixed ideas of how to handle different kinds of people can in effect be racist too, even if it's a "nice racism." I think it'd be funny if a teacher was asked to treat me a certain way because I'm a white boy.

I heard a joke from an Indian (from India) Canadian and he was saying that a few of his and his friend's favorite jokes are ones that poke a little fun at his culture. (and some of them other cultures) He also said sometimes when he hears those jokes about them, all the people from that culture in a particular room might be laughing and one guy, usually white might say he's "offended for all the Indians."

This Indian Canadian comedian said that attitude he joked is like saying "I have no clue what or who these people are like, but I believe as a group they probably aren't smart enough to understand it."

One of his favorite jokes about his culture is when talking to his father, who immigrated as an adult. (The whole family has lived in Canada for about 30 years however).

The joke goes "...Why you like Canada better? They have no culture! All there culture is is hockey and ho-dogs!..." "...Dad, what's a ho-dog?..." "...A ho-dog! A ho-dog!..." (mimicks holding and eating a hotdog) "...Oh, you mean hot-dog dad?..." "...(rolls his eyes) Okay, now you're getting fancy talk..."

Old 12-10-2006, 09:43 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,603,163 times
Question question-

Quote:
Originally Posted by summergal View Post
This is so terrifying that we really are being invaded so easily by these people knowing their intention and most folks in the US have no idea what's happening. I'm very worried what they will do once they feel "ready" to actually start the conquering. We SO need to close our borders. This is way beyond being out of control!
Does anyone have any answers? Is there any legislation being done?

Old 12-10-2006, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
Does anyone have any answers? Is there any legislation being done?
Yes, there is a good answer: build the fence. Legislation: Bah! They can write things down all day long, but if congress doesn't fund it--not gonna happen. This is exactly what is already being predicted for the 700 mile fence--mind you that the border is 2000 miles long and the Department of Homeland Insecurity says it only has operation control of 15% of the border. When pressed on what it meant by control, DHS said it was unable to define their own definition of control. Is that a joke or what???

Aztlan is going to be reality if we're not careful, and if you don't know what this is, I suggest you do some research. In Maywood, CA this summer, they had massive demonstrations of illegals calling on whites to return to Europe, that amongs many other vulgar terms that I won't write down. The escalation their happened after an American flag was taken down from a flagpole at the post office and replaced with a Mexican flag. Huge uproar on both sides. Youtube the incident if you're curious, cause they have some good clips from Lou Dobbs on there.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:55 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,169,559 times
I love South Florida, especially because of the tremendous amount of pretty women!

Old 12-11-2006, 06:27 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,761,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
I love South Florida, especially because of the tremendous amount of pretty women!
You're kidding right? I haven't been attracted to any woman who wasn't a tourist. They're better looking from the midwest, and have a lot less attitude!

Old 12-11-2006, 07:02 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 433,285 times
Default LOL.... we have a smoker, folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panam View Post
I'm dismayed at why US citizens dont try to embrace Spanish like Canada embraces and recognizes French as being distinct and accomodates bilingualism instead of opposing it.

Americans can't afford to ignore this reality anymore and should learn Spanish whenever they get a chance. More languages can only help, not hurt you in life.

BTW, anyone making even $50,000/yr there has enough to pay for rent, food and savings. I'll let noone tell me othewise. If a house in the Florida tropics is what you want and are angry that you cant afford it, let me recommend Panama for you at 1/3 of the cost! Yes Americans! Thankfully, there are choices
Panam:

You have clearly taken leave of your senses to write such gibberish as a posting. Certainly, you are a far, far left wing element. You are certainly NOT in the mainstream of America, which I believe, disagree 101% with you.

First of all, your comparisson of Canada's French to Spanish in America is bogus. One because when Canada was formed as a nation, French was spoken in those areas. The culture remained. The Spanish in the United States has been introduced by a flurry of 30 million illegal aliens, mostly from South America and Mexico. I, as an Argentinian legal immigrant, am OFFENDED when I hear people yelling in Spanish across the mall. This is America, you are here, you need to speak ENGLISH. Americans are under no obligation to learn any language so we can accomodate illegal aliens. My wife is American, so should she learn Spanish to speak to my grandma who comes to visit twice per year?? No, my 87-year-old grandma is learning English, as she is coming to visit.

Therefore, Americans, should not learn Spanish. Immigrants have the burden of learning the language and adjusting to OUR culture. This is America. Poeple that immigrate should stop bullying the majority of Americans with lawsuits and by calling them "racists" or "intolerant". Americans tolerate a flurry of languages, cultures, and "countries within our country" already.

LOL... we make a combined income of $62,000 per year. We have $0 in credit card debt, 1 small car payment. We can barely make it from paycheck to paycheck. If one were to lose a job, we might literally go hungry. We live in a simple apt in Oviedo outside Orlando, FL. My friend, if you can live with $50k per year, you must have your house paid in full, cars paid in full, and you must get paid extra under the table. There is NO WAY to live comfortably in a safe area with $50k/year.

Maybe YOU can because you live in the ghetto... but that is a different story.

Old 12-11-2006, 07:06 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 433,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
Yes, there is a good answer: build the fence. Legislation: Bah! They can write things down all day long, but if congress doesn't fund it--not gonna happen. This is exactly what is already being predicted for the 700 mile fence--mind you that the border is 2000 miles long and the Department of Homeland Insecurity says it only has operation control of 15% of the border. When pressed on what it meant by control, DHS said it was unable to define their own definition of control. Is that a joke or what???

Aztlan is going to be reality if we're not careful, and if you don't know what this is, I suggest you do some research. In Maywood, CA this summer, they had massive demonstrations of illegals calling on whites to return to Europe, that amongs many other vulgar terms that I won't write down. The escalation their happened after an American flag was taken down from a flagpole at the post office and replaced with a Mexican flag. Huge uproar on both sides. Youtube the incident if you're curious, cause they have some good clips from Lou Dobbs on there.
You know what is sick? The existing immigration laws allow cops to ask for Immigration docs from anyone they stop! The law already has ways to enforce and punish employer who hire illegals. Why is it not enforced? Because, as you point out, they don't fund the programs, they don't train enough agents to enforce the laws.

No wonder they are calling California "MexiFornia". It is pretty much that now. Maybe Florida will become "Florixico".

It is no wonder people have all these conspiracy theories... it is almost like politicians WANT a terrorist cell with a bomb to cross over the southern border. It is a disaster waiting to happen.

Old 12-11-2006, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian11 View Post
You know what is sick? The existing immigration laws allow cops to ask for Immigration docs from anyone they stop! The law already has ways to enforce and punish employer who hire illegals. Why is it not enforced? Because, as you point out, they don't fund the programs, they don't train enough agents to enforce the laws.
Also, if I may add to that, many cities and local municipalities have taken it upon themselves to tell police that they have no business asking if people are legal citizens. This is the case in many southern border towns. It is seen as a way to be 'sensitive' to people in the community who have no business being there in the first place, even if some of them may be violent criminals--oh no, it would be immoral to ask if they are citizens, God forbid.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:53 PM

Please see my Aztlan thread, for those of you concerned about the current trend of illegal immigration. It's downright frightening. It's not fantasy either, but it rarely gets coverage except on programs like Lou Dobbs. Do your research people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration