Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 11:05 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,598,377 times

Advertisements

Do what you want, I don't care. I was under the assumption that the truth was more important than the perception. Evidently I was wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 11:10 AM

1,281 posts, read 2,369,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Do what you want, I don't care. I was under the assumption that the truth was more important than the perception. Evidently I was wrong.
And what was the truth? What is the link between students with cell phones, obese students, teen pregnacies, Title 1 schools, and less than 30% of students in two schools being in ESL?

Maybe you wish to look at the OP and call it truth, but I’ll call biased visual observations bogus unless they show proof to support their statements.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:21 AM

18 posts, read 55,291 times
I think the word is Lemmings... I know this cliff with a great view... just dont push me to get a better look... if you want to look, you go first... I'll push.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:26 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,598,377 times
My opinion of the OP is that there is a lot of disconnected ranting going on. It is embarassing to think that it was written by a HS teacher. It doesn't carry a lot of weight with me simply because it was so poorly written.

With that said, I do know that there is an incredible financial burden laid on the taxpayers of this nation through our meek acceptance of the 'status quo'. I do know that a 50+% dropout rate for Hispanic students is shameful. I do know that a teen pregnancy rate 3 times higher than other ethnicities says SOMETHING about what is culturally acceptable. I do know that a 30% participation rate in ESL classes is a fairly good indicator of illegal presence.

I also know that the information in the OP about 'cheap labor' is fairly accurate, albeit somewhat anecdotal. The labor is ONLY cheap to the employers of illegal aliens, while the taxpayers ONCE AGAIN are saddled with the burden of all the social programs that make their continued survival here possible.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:27 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,897,586 times
Its all true... what business called "cheap labor" the american public pays back with social services... The so-called "cheap labor" is actually costing you a lot more. Consider buying an apple at 50 cents from "cheap labor" and add in 2 dollars for all the social services provided for that "cheap labor"... If they hired legal workers, the apple would cost 1 dollar and social services would be 50 cents... In the end, it would be cheaper to hire a legal worker for the American people, however, big businesses profit more from "cheap labor" as they don't have to pay into social services and it is big business that runs the government and the sheep that keep electing big business politicians...

Old 03-03-2008, 12:41 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,511,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Lies and propaganda.
Yeah right. Whatever you want to believe to make yourself feel better. We know the truth.

P.S. Couldn't find a way to throw in racist or hate monger in that one? Your loosing your touch my friend.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:25 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,018,709 times
Quote:
So those who are so against illegal immigrants if you feel the post is right, then you don’t need the poster to provide their methodology or supporting reference, such as think tank studys or government reports, etc?
There is plenty, plenty of supporting reference and documentation to support the figures in the OP, if one wishes to find it. Again, I didn't write it - just received it and passed it on for discussion.

Are you denying that illegals don't/haven't sucked the health care systems in the border states dry? That they receive government benefits in the form of food stamps, housing assistance, health care, education etc, etc, etc even though they are illegal and all paid for out of the pockets of American citizen taxpayers?

Found this in another thread. credit to wizzard;

//www.city-data.com/forum/immig...on-reform.html

I'm sure there is much more corroborating documentation/articles and the like.

Last edited by sanrene; 03-03-2008 at 02:43 PM..

Old 03-03-2008, 02:50 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,369,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
There is plenty, plenty of supporting reference and documentation to support the figures in the OP, if one wishes to find it. Again, I didn't write it - just received it and passed it on for discussion.

Are you denying that illegals don't/haven't sucked the health care systems in the border states dry? That they receive government benefits in the form of food stamps, housing assistance, health care, education etc, etc, etc even though they are illegal and all paid for out of the pockets of American citizen taxpayers?

Found this in another thread. credit to wizzard;

//www.city-data.com/forum/immig...on-reform.html

I'm sure there is much more corroborating documentation/articles and the like.
Nope, I’ve openly admitted that illegal immigration has created or increased problems to local districts related to schooling, healthcare, crime, etc… But I don’t fall into a trap to believe every opinion piece as being completely accurate and a valuable resource to base opinions on. While you may not have been the author, you get the blame for posting anything that is inaccurate or misleading. At least Guy posted some links to support some information, but it didn’t give the opinion piece any credibilty in my opinion.

As far as the other post you’re linking too. Some of the information has already been debunked in other threads, but the more you repeat it the more likely people will just believe it. Some of the information is accurate but some is also false, misleading, and grossly misrepresented, but hey, it is just illegals so why bother with the truth.

I am for curbing illegal immigration, just use actual facts when making a case against them. Why is that so difficult?

Old 03-03-2008, 04:04 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,018,709 times
Quote:
you get the blame for posting anything that is inaccurate or misleading.
In what way is it misleading or inaccurate - my OP or the one I linked to?

The comment about "an illegal having a cell phone" goes to the point that a lot of people getting government (taxpayer) handouts are still able to afford cell phone(s), car(s), multiple t.v.'s, the newest and most expensive sneakers, cable/satellite, the list goes on. All this they have and want and somehow can afford, but still have the audacity and entitlement mentality to claim governments assistance and whine and complain about receiving free (taxpayer) health care.

And those that don't have health insurance, but can somehow afford all the material things they desire - they expect me to pay for their health care?

Old 03-03-2008, 04:27 PM

407 posts, read 801,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
In what way is it misleading or inaccurate - my OP or the one I linked to?

The comment about "an illegal having a cell phone" goes to the point that a lot of people getting government (taxpayer) handouts are still able to afford cell phone(s), car(s), multiple t.v.'s, the newest and most expensive sneakers, cable/satellite, the list goes on. All this they have and want and somehow can afford, but still have the audacity and entitlement mentality to claim governments assistance and whine and complain about receiving free (taxpayer) health care.

And those that don't have health insurance, but can somehow afford all the material things they desire - they expect me to pay for their health care?
One thing it does prove is exactly what I have said for many years...poor people in this country are not really poor at all. They are poorer than many in the country but not really poor and this includes the criminals called illegals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration