Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 11:08 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times

Advertisements

Yearning for Words of Tolerance - washingtonpost.com

Now you can't even go to church w/o having to deal with ESL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 11:25 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,374,572 times
How are these churches screaming? Or did you just choose that word to make it seem like they are somehow irrational or shrill?

Oh, and remember that no matter what language they speak they are still your brothers and sisters in Christ. How you treat and think about them is how you treat and think about Him.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:37 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,594,784 times
"Our community is facing persecution and poverty. People are being deported, even members of our own church," said Castillo, 46.

Ms. Castillo,

If you or your church members are here without legal status, deportation is a just and legal process.

Didn't Christ say "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's"?

Obey the law, ALL OF IT, and you'll not have to worry about deportations any more...

Old 03-10-2008, 11:58 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,107,252 times
Sounds like the DC area is becoming Latin America. The boldness of the Latin American immigrant is amazing.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:32 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
"Our community is facing persecution and poverty. People are being deported, even members of our own church," said Castillo, 46.

Ms. Castillo,

If you or your church members are here without legal status, deportation is a just and legal process.

Didn't Christ say "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's"?

Obey the law, ALL OF IT, and you'll not have to worry about deportations any more...
Don't forget Romans 13:2-3; He who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted and those who do so will bring judgement on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear from the one in authority? Then do what is right.

And to sean98125, yes hispanics along with every race are my brothers and sisters in Christ but God places a high value on law based on the verses i mentioned. I used screaming b/c i dont think it is right for churches to condone law-breaking in any capacity. I want to see immigrants have good lives but i think they should be subject to punishment like everyone else if they break laws.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:16 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,722 times
Now, they'll get the Pope to stick his nose in where it doesn't belong (as usual), and start telling us what WE should do about people from another country. Great.

They act as if they're surprised if people get deported. What's up with that? "Oh, gee, all these people have been deported, even from our own church" - duh - yeah.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:21 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
Now, they'll get the Pope to stick his nose in where it doesn't belong (as usual), and start telling us what WE should do about people from another country. Great.

They act as if they're surprised if people get deported. What's up with that? "Oh, gee, all these people have been deported, even from our own church" - duh - yeah.
Let the Pope complain---------as it stands: the Cathoilc Church in this country is in deep trouble as it is courtesy of child molestation scandals, etc.

If nothing else: more and more Catholics may abandon the church-------especially being that many of them would probably feel at home at the Episcapalian (sp) Church due to its very similar pageantry.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:45 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times
Why get upset when Churches "scream" for tolerance of illegal immigration? (I'm a Catholic) That's what churches are SUPPOSED to do. They also "scream" for Marital Fidelity, for Honesty in Politics, and Fairness in Business...and AGAINST Teenage Sex, Divorce, Gay Marriage, Single Parenthood, and the Death Penalty....they "scream" about ALL these things, and it doesn't seem to upset us. They're CHURCHES, and it's their job to do this. Whether or not we HEED them is up to us. We are free to follow their suggstions...to argue with them...or to ignore them. Islam calls for "The Death of the West". Does this mean it will happen?

Churches aren't always consistent---can anyone tell me who IS? The job of the Catholic Church is to TRY to be consistent with the 'greater good' of our eternal destiny, NOT contemporary politics. I can think of something a LOT scarier than "pushing" a moral obligation to be 'kind to the poor' (illegals)...How about a church that says "YOUR ETERNAL SALVATION DEPENDS ON YOUR UNFAILINGLY FOLLOWING THE LAWS OF YOUR LAND.....Whatever those laws may be, whether thy're fair or not, and this applies EQUALLY to all of you, for whatever land you happen to live in"..Now THAT'S scary !!

REMEMBER, the LAST Pope strongly LEANED on GWB NOT to invade Iraq. Big deal....did we let THAT bother us? Nope......We went right ahead and did "the right thing", despite the objections of the Pope..

Last edited by macmeal; 03-10-2008 at 04:55 PM..

Old 03-10-2008, 04:51 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,509,098 times
The last time I checked it doesn't matter what the church thinks when it comes to enforcing the law. While I have great respect for church goers but I don't accept condoning law breakers.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:42 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,383 times
The Catholics...............mostly Mexican..............gotta protect the brethren....
Did anyone fail to mention we were a Protestant nation rather than a Catholic nation.
If I remember my history well..........this big thing called the reformation that split from the Catholic because of corruption and dictator ship........?
Was I sleeping during that part of history lesson?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration