Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bad economy = no Amnesty?
Yep 19 70.37%
Nope 8 29.63%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 07:04 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,798,419 times

Advertisements

Unless you've been under a rock the last 6 months you know our economy sucks at the present time. I have a theory. My theory is that Congress probably wont be too keen to give illegals amensty when people calling in from their respective states talking about how bad their $ troubles are due to illegal immigration. Anyone agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 08:04 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,109,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Unless you've been under a rock the last 6 months you know our economy sucks at the present time. I have a theory. My theory is that Congress probably wont be too keen to give illegals amensty when people calling in from their respective states talking about how bad their $ troubles are due to illegal immigration. Anyone agree?
I believe you are right. American citizens will not support amnesty with higher unemployment, inflation, gas prices going through the roof, mass home foreclosures. Congress will have a hard time selling that to the nation.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:29 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,171,072 times
As Alanboy395 and High Springs Gator stated.

Living here in Arizona; despite the illegal immigrants (most of them happen to be from Mexico/Central America) 'bouncing' courtesy of both the bad economy as well as our Employer Sanctions Law-------things are getting tougher anyway.

Speaking for myself: I am down about 40% on work (auto alignment technician) since the middle of January.

Worried? Not yet (despite my many bills, I have no home or car loans).

Concerned? Hell yes!

Old 03-11-2008, 08:34 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,756,959 times
Typical to blame our economic problems on illegal immigrants. No credible economist will support the notion that illegal immigrants are to blame for the economic down turn. If anything bringing them out of the shadows will help the economy more than hurt it.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:45 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,757,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Typical to blame our economic problems on illegal immigrants. No credible economist will support the notion that illegal immigrants are to blame for the economic down turn. If anything bringing them out of the shadows will help the economy more than hurt it.
And how did you come up with that?

I think that the OP is trying to say that with our economy in the toliet and Americans being laid off while many illegals are making a run for the border--Congress is not going to be so all fired anxious now to push for amnesty.

Typical that you would jump to the conclusion that this thread represents a slight to your precious illegal aliens.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:53 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,343,318 times
with the economy down the greedy employers are gonna need even cheaper labor. They will push their agenda through like always.

illegals will still come because our countries at least offer equality, and a chance at success.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
with the economy down the greedy employers are gonna need even cheaper labor. They will push their agenda through like always.

illegals will still come because our countries at least offer equality, and a chance at success.
In the eyes of the law: illegal immigrants do have 'rights'-------the same as any other group of lawbreakers.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Supply and demand: they will be the first to go-------employers can get rid of 'em with no fear of repercussions.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:35 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,597,052 times
Quote:
How the heck did you come up with THAT conclusion?

Old 03-11-2008, 09:39 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,109,445 times
Quote:
Blacknight why does Mexico deport illegal immigrants. Obviously you feel illegal immigration is healthy and beneficial to our economy. Go sell that to Presidente Calderon. We have had our belly full of illegal nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration