Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 05:51 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,790,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
My opinion only here:

We have a bloated 'Yuppie class' who allegedly 'need' gardeners, nannies, etc. to maintain their McMansion type of lifestyle.

Face it: if 75% of the Yuppie careers went away tomorrow, most 'regular' Americans would not even notice the losses of supposed goods and services I suspect.

Yes -- privatize the profits, socialize the costs they say. These are people who are too arrogant to make their own beds and mow their own lawns, they want to live like the wealthy but really cannot afford servants.

They believe the taxpayers must subsidize their servant class, it's up to others to pay the costs of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 12:13 AM

394 posts, read 1,007,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
and juan mcamnesty won't do that either? we're scriwed either way.
juan mcamnesty?????????????? omg LMAO

Old 03-29-2008, 05:51 AM

18,491 posts, read 15,298,132 times
Quote:
My opinion only here:

We have a bloated 'Yuppie class' who allegedly 'need' gardeners, nannies, etc. to maintain their McMansion type of lifestyle.

Face it: if 75% of the Yuppie careers went away tomorrow, most 'regular' Americans would not even notice the losses of supposed goods and services I suspect.
I've said before that I think you are wrong here. For wealthier Americans, the tax ramifications far surpass any gains made by cheaper services.

If you pay $5,000 in taxes and 10% goes toward the cost of illegal aliens, you are paying $500 to the illegals

If you pay $500,000 in taxes and 10% goes toward the cost of illegal aliens, you are paying $50,000 to the illegals.

Most people would rather pay their gardener more money. If anything, the savings on goods and services help the poorer Americans more than the wealthy ones. I dont even notice the difference in the price of apples, but a poor person might.

Unless you are directly making money off the backs of the illegals, as a business that employs them, you would have no financial reason to support their being here.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:10 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,178,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I've said before that I think you are wrong here. For wealthier Americans, the tax ramifications far surpass any gains made by cheaper services.

If you pay $5,000 in taxes and 10% goes toward the cost of illegal aliens, you are paying $500 to the illegals

If you pay $500,000 in taxes and 10% goes toward the cost of illegal aliens, you are paying $50,000 to the illegals.

Most people would rather pay their gardener more money. If anything, the savings on goods and services help the poorer Americans more than the wealthy ones. I dont even notice the difference in the price of apples, but a poor person might.

Unless you are directly making money off the backs of the illegals, as a business that employs them, you would have no financial reason to support their being here.
I catch your drift.

In all fairness; your 'equals' (CPA's, MD's, engineers, attorneys, etc) were/are well off even 50 years ago and all supplied needed services.........today, thinking about it, we have our so-called '$30K millionaires' who also perceive themselves as Yuppies.

The latter group I suspect are the ones who would fall to pieces if forced to pay market prices for 'hired help'.

I lumped both groups together, my bad.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:23 AM

18,491 posts, read 15,298,132 times
Quote:
I catch your drift.

In all fairness; your 'equals' (CPA's, MD's, engineers, attorneys, etc) were/are well off even 50 years ago and all supplied needed services.........today, thinking about it, we have our so-called '$30K millionaires' who also perceive themselves as Yuppies.

The latter group I suspect are the ones who would fall to pieces if forced to pay market prices for 'hired help'.

I lumped both groups together, my bad.
Quite alright. It is very rare for me to disagree with one of your statements. Now that you explained it better, I see your point too.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:17 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,790,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post

I don't think it's the wealthy who can afford servants that are the problem. It's those who want cheap servants, who are too lazy to make their own beds, mow their own lawns and want it done very cheaply by someone else and who do not wish to provide health insurance or living wages to their cheap servants.

They figure that spreading the care of their illegals to all taxpayers will enable them to keep on hiring cheap servants for themselves and everyone gets to help pay for their health care costs and provide them food stamps because their wages are so low.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:23 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,138,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I don't think it's the wealthy who can afford servants that are the problem. It's those who want cheap servants, who are too lazy to make their own beds, mow their own lawns and want it done very cheaply by someone else and who do not wish to provide health insurance or living wages to their cheap servants.

They figure that spreading the care of their illegals to all taxpayers will enable them to keep on hiring cheap servants for themselves and everyone gets to help pay for their health care costs and provide them food stamps because their wages are so low.
Your calling people with very hectic schedules lazy for not having time to mow their own lawns and mow their own beds? Thats a very harsh insult.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:27 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,178,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
Your calling people with very hectic schedules lazy for not having time to mow their own lawns and mow their own beds? Thats a very harsh insult.
If said 'hectic' people cannot afford to pay at least minimum wage for US citizen/green card holder help.......the former group need to 'downsize' their lifestyle------if it means getting rid of the fancy SUV, cable TV, etc.

Harsh I know but also reality.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:08 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,096,733 times
Quote:
If said 'hectic' people cannot afford to pay at least minimum wage for US citizen/green card holder help.......the former group need to 'downsize' their lifestyle------if it means getting rid of the fancy SUV, cable TV, etc.

Harsh I know but also reality.
Why should the ones with the high incomes have to downsize their lifestyle.
They went to college to get their degrees for their professions. It is not their jobs the illegals are taking. The illegals are taking the low skilled jobs.
It does not take a lot of skill to work in the fields or pound a few nails. So no I don't think they should have to give up their suv, cable or anything else, they are paying for it so they deserve it. JMO

Old 03-31-2008, 11:17 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,475,812 times
I knew it would eventually come out of the few who support illegal immigration - they do so in order to exploit them. Lovely. I wonder what our colleges are teaching these days, if pro-illegals have this holier-than-thou attitude and think its a-ok to use human beings like a commodity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration